PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

City Centre Investment

How can the university area not be seen as great. It looks fantastic, will bring in revenue to Preston and improves the area 10 fold.
The old massive roundabout was a waste of space and made crossing difficult for pedestrians.
The only minor thing I see is, buses struggle to get round the bends without catching the pavement. This means that the Kurb edgings will soon get ruined.
Other than that, it is fantastic.

How can the university area not be seen as great. It looks fantastic, will bring in revenue to Preston and improves the area 10 fold.
The old massive roundabout was a waste of space and made crossing difficult for pedestrians.
The only minor thing I see is, buses struggle to get round the bends without catching the pavement. This means that the Kurb edgings will soon get ruined.
But if Friargate is to become pedestrianised as has been mooted, I'd guess busses will head straight up Corperation Street, should alleviate much of the twisting and turning they need to do currently.

It's an asset, 100%. That whole area from Friargate north of the Ring Road up to the uni and over to Plungi etc. looks and feels a million times better than it used to.

Friargate still needs some smartening up but there are some great cafes and eateries opening up along with some good bars for students and residents alike.

The Tramshed, Friargate Court and Adelphi Square all look the works and should this tower get the go ahead, it would be a complete rejuvenation for that area.

Then we just need to do the same to Church Street. The planned tower for Church Row would kick start this along with the whole plans for Stoneygate. Interestingly the earlier LEP articles mentions construction has begun on The Exchange which I knew about but also for PR1 down on Avenham Street. Can anyone confirm this is correct? I haven't been up that way for a while and haven't seen any cranes etc. like I have for The Exchange.

Talking to a local property firm today, apparently some exciting plans coming for the city centre next year.

It seems Preston is on the radar of many firms who have got tired of the relentless Manchester & Liverpool boom. Preston the next target for investment, bring it on.

In lep last night that Corporation St is going to be a bus only stretch between Marsh lane and Heatley st... No wonder people are deserting our "city" centre for shopping.. There's fuck all there or incentive to come with a ridiculous road network.

It's an asset, 100%. That whole area from Friargate north of the Ring Road up to the uni and over to Plungi etc. looks and feels a million times better than it used to.

Friargate still needs some smartening up but there are some great cafes and eateries opening up along with some good bars for students and residents alike.

The Tramshed, Friargate Court and Adelphi Square all look the works and should this tower get the go ahead, it would be a complete rejuvenation for that area.

Then we just need to do the same to Church Street. The planned tower for Church Row would kick start this along with the whole plans for Stoneygate. Interestingly the earlier LEP articles mentions construction has begun on The Exchange which I knew about but also for PR1 down on Avenham Street. Can anyone confirm this is correct? I haven't been up that way for a while and haven't seen any cranes etc. like I have for The Exchange.

Lst time I visited Preston I came off the M6 and on to New Hall Lane, what an eysore, could do with some regeneration there, perhaps it as already been done.

BBC News - Preston: Plans for controversial new 'bus-gate' in city

You could say it's a bit of a car crash idea but there won't be any cars around.
Bit by bit these planners are eroding all the reasons for people to head to Preston town centre.

BBC News - Preston: Plans for controversial new 'bus-gate' in city

You could say it's a bit of a car crash idea but there won't be any cars around.
Bit by bit these planners are eroding all the reasons for people to head to Preston town centre.
It’s absolutely ridiculous closing that road to cars. It makes no sense whatsoever.
it is a major route into town for many many people and one that I frequently use. 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

Lst time I visited Preston I came off the M6 and on to New Hall Lane, what an eysore, could do with some regeneration there, perhaps it as already been done.
Only so much you can do with certain areas. They’ve give it a bit of a refurb but ultimately large towns/small cities like ours will have run down areas.

The unfortunate thing is that it’s the gateway to the city centre and it’s many visitor’s first impression of Preston.

To be fair they've re-done all the pavements along New Hall Lane which gives a bit of a facelift.

Anything to improve that bit of Preston. Proper scuzzy area, good place to put something like that too

I agree, walked by here the other day to get my Booster and I was struck as to how shabby it was all looking, so any new development would get my encouragement.

Being next to the bus station also would surely make a perfect place for a youth centre.

Saw the new adelphi quarter, the other day, like the tithebarn the adelphi needs flattening too.
Somehow, I don't think a busy pub next to the university is going anywhere, especially after they've just spend a few hundred grand on it.

Reopen the Lamb & Packet too.