• Please support our latest project if you can. Flags for Deepdale - Sea of blue and white. https://www.gofundme.com/f/Deepdaleflags

Concerned for Alex

KeithLard

Forum Patron
Patron
I absolutely believe that immediate change is needed in our leadership. We are in big trouble. But a couple of things have troubled me tonight reading Alex's comments on Lancs Live. He talks of not knowing his best team and wanting to crawl under his bed for a few days and hoping then the world will look better. I've been there earlier in my career and it is genuinely horrible. No doubt many of you will have too.

This forum is excellent in dealing with mental health issues and I just wonder if we think that, whilst we need change, Alex actually needs our support and compassion given his efforts over the last 4 years.

People get very frustrated including me with football and a minority take it too far. The manager takes the brunt of it. If he genuinely feeling like he said then the best thing he could do for his own health is to walk away. And if he did that, we'd all appreciate his efforts over the last 4 years and accept it just hasn't worked out in the last 15 months but wish him all the best.

I'm beyond anger with how we are playing. A lot is wrong and a lot needs to change. Right now we need to get over the line in terms of staying up and that is all that matters football wise.

NG White

Forum Patron
Patron
People forget that in managerial terms, he is still a baby at the age of what?, 39? Experienced in

some aspects, very inexperienced in others. The bloke is a bloody good manager but this season, it has sadly gone all tits up for various reasons both under and out of his control.

I think todays 20th defeat is probably the moment for change for both himself and us - and I have been a 100% supporter of his - but 98% of managers get sacked at some stage and sadly, I think we have reached that stage.

I absolutely take no pleasure from this post.

You'll always be a Nobber, Alex.

The real villain of the piece escaping all scrutiny is Ridsdale closely followed by Hemmings himself.

I could have written that post myself, word for word. Nail on head JD.

lilywhitetel

Forum Patron
Patron
This interview raises real alarm bells for me. For the sake of the manager and the club, Ridsdale/Hemmings need to do the right thing now even if it costs a bit more. We have 2 weeks to take stock and reorganise.

Ron6

First Team
Pressure can take its toll on anyone.
I have stepped down before, it's not easy but if it makes you feel better.
. I would say he has over his tenure done well the last 18 months excluded but is sadly sounding like a beaten man

No Danger

Forum Patron
Patron
Sorry but you can be as woak or pc as you like but just the very mention of mental health should not close down debate , hate yes , debate no !

if, if AN is suffering any kind of mental health issues what so ever he should alert the club immediately and seek help with the full support of the club and fans !

just purely mentioning crawling under a bed does not imply a mental health problem ! If it did , then see above

we have savage mental health issues in our family and it “can” be used , and over used to hide sometimes !

so if AN is suffering any kind of mental health problems he should step down , step back and seek support with immediate effect with fan and club support , if he isn’t , then carry on debating and keep the discussion open !
It isn't shutting down debate as there are others threads to discuss broader issues in respect of AN and the Club.
This thread just introduces another important aspect of the debate.
Constructive criticism goes with the territory and is extremely valid.
Some of the stick he has got though has been lynch mob mentality.
Bottom line is he has under performed partly because of lack of backing and a clean break is needed.

jamesOB

Forum Patron
Patron
People forget that in managerial terms, he is still a baby at the age of what?, 39? Experienced in some aspects, very inexperienced in others. The bloke is a bloody good manager but this season, it has sadly gone all tits up for various reasons both under and out of his control.

I think todays 20th defeat is probably the moment for change for both himself and us - and I have been a 100% supporter of his - but 98% of managers get sacked at some stage and sadly, I think we have reached that stage.

I absolutely take no pleasure from this post.

You'll always be a Nobber, Alex.

The real villain of the piece escaping all scrutiny is Ridsdale closely followed by Hemmings himself.
Far more eloquent than I could’ve put it JD

raefil

Dolly Patron
Patron
It doesn't, no. And I respect your views and I am clearly of the opinion his contract with PNE should come to an end. But it should be done with dignity, he is showing clear signs of stress and I believe deserves support. If that makes me 'woke' then so be it. Maybe at the age of 44 I've grown up a little though. I also respect Shabbagaz's views as they have clearly had very negative experiences with Alex and that is therefore an entirely understandable personal viewpoint.
Very sad that someone showing empathy and concern is attacked by a right wing trope such as woke.

Some folk need to get a grip.

Oh and whilst Im at it if folk cant see that what @shabbagaz was doing was nothing more than a lighthearted way to try and lift the forum atmosphere then they also need to get a grip too.

Gaz is one of the most decent people on here and I for one am proud to stand alongside him.

Liberation

Forum Patron
Patron
Right, this was me and it was only intended to bring some light hearted humour - they were only music clips. I'll accept I have overdone it and have stopped.

Secondly, why should I be sympathetic to someone who is/was an arsehole? I've made no secret of my opinions on Alex and the way he treated my Dad whilst he worked at the club and helped make his time hell.

If any of the mods want to get in touch, my PMs are open and I'll accept any punishment. If anyone else wants to have a go at me, fire away but you'll never, ever find me showing any sympathy or 'class' to someone who doesn't deserve it.

That's heavy stuff....Who/what did your dad do/does at the club if you don't mind me asking.

Durutti

Advisor to the Owner
Erm, I can't help but think a leap is being made here by a lot of posters. I read the comments entirely as a 'please release me from my contract' plea, not a 'I'm struggling mentally'. Neil will always strike me as a decent bloke tbf and I wouldn't wish him any I'll will (he will do very well again, I know it) but he also strikes me as a water off a duck's back kind of a guy. I don't think he is having a mental health crisis, I just think he wants to leave the club.

Please don't read this as me taking mental health crisis lightly, been there myself. Just not sure that's what's going on here and as others have said, he does hold the key to his own destiny in many respects as if he had gone to Ridsdale weeks ago and said 'pay me X and I'll go now' PR would have taken it if X was less than the payoff.

Anyway, I do wish him all the best and do think other factors have contributed as much as AN. Let's not add 5 and 5 and make 15 though.

mapping

Forum Patron
Patron
It isn't shutting down debate as there are others threads to discuss broader issues in respect of AN and the Club.
This thread just introduces another important aspect of the debate.
Constructive criticism goes with the territory and is extremely valid.
Some of the stick he has got though has been lynch mob mentality.
Bottom line is he has under performed partly because of lack of backing and a clean break is needed.
Agree ! Remove the mobbing and hate and carry on !

Atko_pne956

First Team
I share my concern for Alex, he's a decent manager and unfortunately things haven't worked out of late. One things for sure, the lack of respect shown towards him on social media is appalling. It's like people get a kick off failure and hatred. If he does get sacked I hope we act with some dignity and say thanks for all his efforts these past few years. We're supposed to be the gentry after all said and done.

KeithLard

Forum Patron
Patron
Very sad that someone showing empathy and concern is attacked by a right wing trope such as woke.

Oh and whilst Im at it if folk cant see that what @shabbagaz was doing was nothing more than a lighthearted way to try and lift the forum atmosphere then they also need to get a grip too.

Gaz is one of the most decent people on here and I for one am proud to stand alongside him.
Fully support this thread and 99% of this raefil but please don't make it a political thing

HunterLionheart

Forum Patron
Patron
Erm, I can't help but think a leap is being made here by a lot of posters. I read the comments entirely as a 'please release me from my contract' plea, not a 'I'm struggling mentally'. Neil will always strike me as a decent bloke tbf and I wouldn't wish him any I'll will (he will do very well again, I know it) but he also strikes me as a water off a duck's back kind of a guy. I don't think he is having a mental health crisis, I just think he wants to leave the club.

Please don't read this as me taking mental health crisis lightly, been there myself. Just not sure that's what's going on here and as others have said, he does hold the key to his own destiny in many respects as if he had gone to Ridsdale weeks ago and said 'pay me X and I'll go now' PR would have taken it if X was less than the payoff.

Anyway, I do wish him all the best and do think other factors have contributed as much as AN. Let's not add 5 and 5 and make 15 though.

Also inclined to agree with this, as someone who deals with depression pretty regularly.

shabbagaz

Forum Patron
Patron

Thanks Raef. That was my intention and I hold my hand up and admit I overdid it on the videos.

With the grim situation at the club coupled with the lockdown, I was just trying to bring some humour to the place (I'll admit I've failed badly at that).

HunterLionheart

Forum Patron
Patron
Thanks Raef. That was my intention and I hold my hand up and admit I overdid it on the videos.

With the grim situation at the club coupled with the lockdown, I was just trying to bring some humour to the place (I'll admit I've failed badly at that).
I don't know you personally, and have argued with you more than enough on here, but I think it's fairly clear what you were going for, and you're more than within your rights to do so.