PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Connor Wickham Signs (Confirmed)

They were effectively punts on Unknown’s with no track record.
Albeit "punts" from the Premier League champions, rather than some L1 or L2 club.

Appleton had had a successful loan spell at a higher level than us (we were in L1 at the time) before we signed him for a club record fee.

Question is. Could Riis & Wickham play in a front 2 pairing? My view is decent players find a way of complimenting each other
I have a feeling it won't work as well as Riis and Maguire myself, I think of Wickham as a better version of Evans (if he can stay fit) and Evans/Riis didn't really work for Riis all that much. Riis benefits massively from Seanie's movement that ends up creating space for him to run into, run in behind the defense or get space down the channels. Wickham/Evans it becomes more of a lump it, hope he gets a good flick on or a knock down to a man close to them and with this way of playing it allows the opposition to close up the space making it much harder for Riis to do what he's best at. Another thing is that if Riis is to get behind the defense, it means the run has to be timed correctly and we all know he's not been great at that since coming here.

I have a feeling it won't work as well as Riis and Maguire myself, I think of Wickham as a better version of Evans (if he can stay fit) and Evans/Riis didn't really work for Riis all that much. Riis benefits massively from Seanie's movement that ends up creating space for him to run into, run in behind the defense or get space down the channels. Wickham/Evans it becomes more of a lump it, hope he gets a good flick on or a knock down to a man close to them and with this way of playing it allows the opposition to close up the space making it much harder for Riis to do what he's best at. Another thing is that if Riis is to get behind the defense, it means the run has to be timed correctly and we all know he's not been great at that since coming here.

Wickham is much more of a footballer than Evans is though. The issue was more the players taking the lazy outball of launch it up to the targetman. If we play in a way that allows us to use DJ effectively, instead of over his head, no reason Wickham can't thrive alongside Riis.

Wickham is much more of a footballer than Evans is though. The issue was more the players taking the lazy outball of launch it up to the targetman. If we play in a way that allows us to use DJ effectively, instead of over his head, no reason Wickham can't thrive alongside Riis.
I agree with Wickham being more a footballer but I can't see us playing with him and not hoofing it honestly, can't remember the last time we had a big man up top that we didn't try hoof it to for half a season. I know with Riis and Hugill we played more on the floor but we still can't resist the urge of a unnecessary cheeky punt up field

I agree with Wickham being more a footballer but I can't see us playing with him and not hoofing it honestly, can't remember the last time we had a big man up top that we didn't try hoof it to for half a season. I know with Riis and Hugill we played more on the floor but we still can't resist the urge of a unnecessary cheeky punt up field

They've been known to do that with Maguire too though. On them to be disciplined and brave enough to keep it on the deck.

People have been asking for us to take low risk punts on players. Well, this is the very definition. For a player of his reputation to be reduced to a half season deal to prove himself tells us that physically he is quite quite fucked.

Let's hope that we finally find some value where others have missed it. If not, then there's nothing much lost.
Who’s been asking that?! 😂