Corona Virus Experience and Advice

Bobbage

Advisor to the Owner
I've had what I believe to be Covid-19 (spoken with my GP and a friend is a District Nursing Sister who heads my local coronavirus response team)

These are some of the posts I put on my FB in the past two weeks, hopefully they will be of use if you're looking for symptoms and unsure. Please bear in mind many people are asymptomatic carriers of this virus and also that without being serious enough to be admitted to hospital I cannot get tested etc...

----

So, erm, didn't know whether to post something like this or not but maybe it will be of use;

Two weeks ago, we were all told to self isolate for 7days if we had a cough/fever, and quarantine our families for 14days if a member of the household had a cough/fever.

Last Friday - My son arrived for the weekend with a persistent dry cough. Am told by his mother he's been coughing all week. Decide to isolate us both for the weekend and stay indoors. I even cancelled a planned fishing trip on Tuesday just incase.

Saturday - My son wakes up during the night dripping in sweat.

Sunday - My son goes home, still with his persistent dry cough. I update his mother of illness and advise keeping him away from grandparents.

Monday - I start with a slight dry throat and cancel a meeting with Denbighshire Council just incase, based on my son's cough.

Tuesday - Still just a dry throat. Not sure if I was over reacting by cancelling fishing, but my mate is 68 with asthma. Ask how my son is and and told he's fine.

Wednesday - Noticeably high temperature. Slight occasional cough. Stop going to shops etc and only go outside for walks in open areas.

Thursday - Fever. Sudden bouts of real sweating, very high temperature. Breathless from doing simple tasks. Ask about son again and get told they've had no symptoms at their house (?!) but her partner living there has had "pneumonia" in the last month or so. Pneumonia is caused by Covid-19

Friday - Slight temperature. Persistent dry coughing, chest feels tight and breathing is shorter. Feels different today, can't put my finger on it but just groggy.

Today - Woken up much later than normal feeling exhausted. Feel like I've got someone sat on my chest and it's an effort to breathe. Genuinely begining to get concerned now.

I've followed the guidance as much as possible, but I admit I have been guilty of not taking this as seriously as the Government and the experts have been advising. Now I may just have a version of the flu or something minor, and I'm relatively healthy and not "at risk" but hindsight is a wonderful thing. People are spreading Covid-19 by not following what the experts are telling us. A District Nursing Sister told me yesterday that the NHS is already on it's knees and cannot cope, yet we are only at the start of this outbreak.

Please, help all your friends, relatives, loved ones and those putting their own lives on the line for us by taking precautions and isolating over the small things JUST INCASE. By the time you actually start to feel ill, you could have passed it on to dozens of people.

---

Bit of an update:

So overnight Friday this went from being a light, persistent dry cough to an odd, heavy feeling in my chest with a deep chesty cough.

Saturday was the first day where I started to get a little concerned, as in the morning I woke up late and was absolutely shattered. As the day progressed, each breath was an effort and some were actually painful. The deep cough started bringing up dark, thick mucus and the coughing left me gasping for breath for minutes afterwards. Couldn't sleep at all.

Sunday - Chest really tight, gasping for breath whenever my heart rate rises. Decided it was now time to call NHS 111 for advice as it is over 5 days since exposure. On hold for 30mins, on hold for 45mins. Decided others will need the service more. Very grateful to friends dropping off supplies, took 2 bags of shopping upstairs (after disinfecting all door handles etc!) and the effort left me properly gasping for breath for about 20mins. Soooo tired! Nurse friend advises constantly having hot drinks, so did that all day and lay on the sofa with a hot water bottle on my chest which really seemed to ease things, plus doing breathing exercises to inflate my lungs. After dark, went for a small walk around the field and along the river just to get some fresh air which absolutely ruined me!

Today - Incredibly tired and chest really tight again. Lot more mucus this morning and maybe 1 in 10 breaths is sore. Can really see how this will effect older people! This is now 7 days since the start of my symptoms, and 10 days since I was first exposed to the virus.

---

And then... it was gone!

Monday - Incredibly tired and chest really tight again. Lot more mucus coming up and maybe 1 in 10 breaths was sore. Kept taking hot drinks, doing breathing exercises and lying with a hot water bottle on my chest.

Tuesday - Breathing no longer sore, chest easing. Still occasional deep cough with mucus but no gasping afterwards. Tired and groggy but not totally exhausted like I was.

Today - No real cough at all this morning. Feeling much more alert and healthy, just a sore throat and quite hoarse. Will keep doing the breathing exercises, resting and staying warm for the remainder of the week but it very much looks as though this has passed now.

Winkytinky

Forum Patron
Patron
My symptoms started on Sunday cough and temperature to begin with and by monday night I was floored, could barely move, hot and cold shivers and was painful to breathe, felt like someone was leaning on my chest. Barely got out of bed for two days other than to use the toilet, trying to brush my teeth even knocked me sick, couldn't and didn't want to eat anything, eldest (bless her) kept making me hot drinks and I took paracetamol not that it felt like it made a difference, tried hot water bottle on chest and that did help a bit (thanks Bobbage good advice)

My temp is down now and that's made a massive difference, still feel lethargic and cough hasn't gone and breathing still a bit heavy but much better than I was, managed to eat something last night, hoping I'm over the worst of it now.

Not sure I've got much advice other than what Bobbage has said, hot drinks, hot water bottle, paracetamol and rest.

If it is covid I've had/ got and I'm only 42 and generally fit and healthy and it's knocked me sideways like this then it's scary to think about what it's doing to those more vulnerable.

On the upside whilst all you lockdown fatties have probably been piling on the pounds I've probably lost a few 😉

Claudius

Reserve
I noticed the shivers, temperature & lethargy on beginning on 21st which continued to 22nd March. managed to do general household stuff and was in the garden but just felt like I was running at about 60%.

Monday 23rd - Temp gone but was suffering with a cough. Contacted NHS 111 as the nippers had temperature & cough. noticed that appetite was completely gone. Didn’t drink much fluid that day. Carried on working from home.

Tue 24th - chesty cough bringing up light green mucus. Still working from home and doing household stuff. Struggling to read bedtime stories to kids and talking on the phone without coughing. Waking up at about 4am coughing and needed to use reliever inhaler. Noticed was getting what felt like muscle pain in shoulders and lower back. However, using small laptop and not on office chair so putting it down to that. Noticed pain at the back of my eyes when moving eyeballs side to side. Kids dosed up with calpol NHS 111 advised that the kids had mild symptoms and see how they are in 7

wed 25th - still with chesty cough coughing up mucus made concerted effort to drink more fluids. Still struggling to eat & carrying on WFH. Woeful night sleep. Notice taste and smell senses weren’t there.

Thurs 26th - non working day - felt really spaced out think oxygen may level dipped. didn’t have a lot of energy but was out of bed and doing some household stuff. Felt like anxiety was taking over.

Fri 27th - working from home. Eldest child seems to be fine now. Although felt like I was coughing a lot today. Another 4am wake up because of coughing

sat 28th - went for a walk felt a lot better for it. Noticed hardly coughing and actually felt appetite partly come back. However once evening kicked in and kids went to bed felt like I was coughing in evening more.

Sun 29th - felt slightly better following but initially but anxiety took over later on. Back to struggling with food and fluid. In the evening coughed up a tiny bit of fresh blood in mucus.

Mon 30th - 4am wake up, another tiny bit of blood in mucus but wasn’t fresh. I felt there was a concentrated sore spot in right lung. Rang surgery described symptoms prescribed 500mg amoxicillin & additional inhaler. Meds dropped off later morning by family member. Still working

Tue 31st managed full night sleep. Appetite a lot better. Started to be able to

Wed 1st - cough a lot less and when I do mucus gradually getting clearer. Appetite seems to be back, starting to taste and smell again.

Thurs 2nd - feel like I am back up to 80%. Do get slight headache in the evening but paracetamol does the job

fri 3rd - no real complaints. Not coughing anywhere near as much as the previous. Feels like my normal cough as an asthmatic.

Sat 4th - same as previous day. Only thing I notice is when I lean down to say do digging in the garden or fill up the watering can is that it feels like I have a bruised rib. Taste definitely back, ate a raspberry and my mouth nearly caved with the sourness

I’ve still got a few more days of amoxicillin to take but mucus seems clear. I still feel I am at about 90%. As an asthmatic I am noticing I don’t need my reliever inhaler as much. If this has been Covid then definitely had the mild symptoms. Haven’t been stuck in bed with it like others as I’ve always been well enough to work, do housework and spend time in the garden. Although I have felt lacking in energy.

took benilyn in the first week as I was worried my cough would prevent me from sleeping.

not sure if these were symptoms but around the 17th & 18th March I was having headaches and a bit more regular than normal. However my diet in work is basically black coffee. On 18th due to my asthma, my boss very strongly suggested that I think about my health so I rang occupational health who advised to stay home. Fortunately in my role I can easily work from home.

I must admit trying to keep distance from others in your house, especially as it’s small and we have young children is pretty much impossible. Others in the household getting infected just seems an inevitability

mental health really up and down for both myself and partner. Partner struggling more with that, didn’t help she was furloughed as that was a welcome distraction for her. Luckily she has a very good employer that is topping up her wages.

We all seem to have had symptoms but up to now they have been mild. Touch wood we are through the worst. The kids both were poorly back in November/December with the youngest having to attend children’s A & E 3 times in the space for 10 days due to his illness. He had shed loads of mucus that wouldn’t shift and was affecting his breathing. He’s not been anywhere near that this time.

As for me I’m 31, asthmatic taking fostair 200/6 as a preventative and the blue inhaler as a reliever. Healthy weight but not as fit as I used to be. Antibiotics seem to have helped a lot so I’m unsure whether I’ve had corona or not. As I’m not 100% if the virus causes infections which can subsequently be treated by antibiotics.

another oddity I noticed was that I had some cuts on my hands which were taking ages to heal in the week of 23rd March. Now though they seem to have healed quite quickly.

northender1881

Advisor to the Owner
As for me I’m 31, asthmatic taking fostair 200/6 as a preventative and the blue inhaler as a reliever. Healthy weight but not as fit as I used to be.
Thank you for posting your experience, was particularly useful to me as another asthmatic as I have wondered what it would be like for someone similar to me.

As it was, your description of yourself here is eerily like me, same age, condition, medications and general physical condition :giggle:

Glad to hear it sounds like you're out of the worst of it (y)

sliper

Forum Patron
Patron
Very useful and very understandable. Thanks for posting

Another example of his analysis.. I think it is very useful to have facts spoken plainly.
The difference between male and female infection rates is quite extraordinary..
I told the missus "see there is such as thing as man flu..." ;) She gave me a look.

I think this one is very important "Vitamin D and immunity".. "people in northern latitudes in winter improve there chances of avoiding upper respiratory infections by 70% if they take a daily Vit D supplement"

Last edited:

Claudius

Reserve
Thank you for posting your experience, was particularly useful to me as another asthmatic as I have wondered what it would be like for someone similar to me.

As it was, your description of yourself here is eerily like me, same age, condition, medications and general physical condition :giggle:

Glad to hear it sounds like you're out of the worst of it (y)
Cheers, my major uncertainty was whether it was covid or not. I’m quite uneasy about going out and about and certainly not keen on returning to the workplace so continuing to work from home.

Not sure about yourself, I have not received the shielding letter and when I contacted the surgery they informed me they haven’t had any guidance on who to class as high risk. So a bit uneasy about that given fostair is a relatively strong preventative.

health wise, I’d say I’m at about 95%, finished the antibiotics running about with the kids does cause me to cough a little bit and feel a bit tight chested first thing. glad that I can have a phone conversation without coughing though!

hope you manage to avoid it and stay safe :)

chorleythehord

Forum Patron
Patron
not sure where you got that from but it is implying 4% (or 1 in 25) of everyone who gets it, is going to die. At that level we are all likely to know someone fairly close who will die from Covid 19.

Im not disputing the figures, it’s just my gut feel was that the death rate was more like 0.5%.

NORTHENDRTOPS

French scout
I'm just coming through the virus and like everyone else so far I have to say "I think", Claudius's post was spot on for me, massive headache to start, went to bed early just ached all over limbs and shoulders, I took paracetamol 4 times a day, and had a course of anti biotics amoxycillin 500mg which I had taken the week before, I also use a blue ventolin inhaler occasionally. I was determined to beat it and when asked the following morning if I wanted anything for breakfast, I said I would have some corn flakes and ate them fine had no loss of smell or taste, But within an hour following the cereal I was sick like a child projectile vomiting, Then every cup of tea I had for the whole of the day I continued to be sick, 18 times in total and on into the night, my eyes also felt aching behind them and as i moved them from side to side. My biggest worry was that it might go on my chest but thank God it didn't.
I think this virus lulls you into a false sense of protection, one minute you're aching badly and the next its gone no aches headache the same. Im a little older than Claudius ok double his age, so just as worried as he was. Then it affected me peeing but i needed to go almost every 5 minutes but only pee'd for a few seconds. I got a sore throat on the second day, sorry its all out of sink, its a bit blurry, thank God I have a wife who knows what she's doing. I think the secret is many things, sit upright in bed if you can and have a tight or crunchy chest, use your inhaler if needed. Plenty of drinks as many as you can tolerate, I also took some honey and lemon sucky sweets to ease my sore throat. Take your temperature regularly, use a cool fan if you have one. My temp went to 39.9 at the peak.
Fortunately so far my wife and son haven't got it or maybe have had it, or not showing yet. I seriously believe that I have had it mildy compared to some but its still a bloody pain. Good luck all of you.

northender0602

Forum Patron
Patron
Cheers, my major uncertainty was whether it was covid or not. I’m quite uneasy about going out and about and certainly not keen on returning to the workplace so continuing to work from home.

Not sure about yourself, I have not received the shielding letter and when I contacted the surgery they informed me they haven’t had any guidance on who to class as high risk. So a bit uneasy about that given fostair is a relatively strong preventative.

health wise, I’d say I’m at about 95%, finished the antibiotics running about with the kids does cause me to cough a little bit and feel a bit tight chested first thing. glad that I can have a phone conversation without coughing though!

hope you manage to avoid it and stay safe :)
Depending on what condition you have and how severe it is, depends on wether you get that isolation letter. BUT people may fall through the net so if you feel you are of a high risk and have been missed out, contact your gp surgery.