Coronavirus football options summarised (Premier League Restart 17/06/20 (post1,630)

California_PNE

Forum Patron
Patron
There are 2 reasons for PNE wanting to play on - secure the TV money without a rebate, and to play out the season properly in sporting terms. Take your pick which reason is paramount.

There's only really 1 reason for PNE to vote for suspension/PPG - to secure 6th place, albeit at the cost of a TV money rebate. Effectively forfeiting a chunk of money for a guaranteed lottery ticket.

PNE have confirmed today (in the LEP) they'll be voting to play on, so I guess the arguments against that are academic now.

As I suggested yesterday, it was never seriously in any doubt which way PNE would vote - their messaging for the last few weeks has been consistently pro-restart.
I honestly agree with you 99% the time Thracia you are a good poster, but like us all, you don't half talk some unsubstantiated utter shite at times.

top cat

Reserve
I think to be fair the season must finish and if necessary next season must start later with less cups...... the league is paramount to everything in my own opinion.... although if it did have to finish i would understand. clubs shouldn't spend more than they earn end of!

portisheadpete

Forum Patron
Patron
I think to be fair the season must finish and if necessary next season must start later with less cups...... the league is paramount to everything in my own opinion.... although if it did have to finish i would understand. clubs shouldn't spend more than they earn end of!
If it restarts, Ill lay bets on it not fully finishing. If safety rules which it will, there'll be postponements due to either clubs suffering infections and/ or claiming force majeure that will likely prevent full completion. And some exploiting it for advantage. Recipe for a much worse legal position than now with claim and countrclaim. Straight to playoffs I say.

JohnPNE

Manager
That we're potty evidently. We cant ever be 1st or 2nd so why would you play on at great risk of being 7th or lower.
They are hardly going to say I want the season to finish now are they. footballers want to
Play football and I can guarantee most footballer would feel uneasy about the season finishing like it is apart from teams just outside the relegation zone. If they cancel the season and go straight to play offs I think we should be applauded and praised for trying to do the right thing not called ‘potty’ for trying to cheat our way to the play offs. Because that would be ‘potty.’

portisheadpete

Forum Patron
Patron
They are hardly going to say I want the season to finish now are they. footballers want to
Play football and I can guarantee most footballer would feel uneasy about the season finishing like it is apart from teams just outside the relegation zone. If they cancel the season and go straight to play offs I think we should be applauded and praised for trying to do the right thing not called ‘potty’ for trying to cheat our way to the play offs. Because that would be ‘potty.’
Its not cheating for a club to suggest foregoing the folly of trying to play out a load of sterile fixtures in silence just to please the financiers. June and July are for cricket not footy anyway. They wont finish anyway, just watch.

JohnPNE

Manager
Its not cheating for a club to suggest foregoing the folly of trying to play out a load of sterile fixtures in silence just to please the financiers. June and July are for cricket not footy anyway. They wont finish anyway, just watch.

I actually don’t think I once said they would finish so saying ‘just watch’ as If you are trying to prove a point is silly considering I actually agree with the point that games will
Unlikely be finishing
But I fully agree with the stance that PNE are saying in the fact they want to try and play the remaining games if possible. Going back to what you said previously. It would be very ‘potty’ for PNE to say let’s end the season now when they are footballers and actually
Want to play football. Well played PNE.
As for June and July being ‘cricket’ months. If someone gave me the option of cricket or football for the next few months I would pick football any day. Cricket is a boring sport.

Ando60

Hat Trick Hero
Patron
I actually don’t think I once said they would finish so saying ‘just watch’ as If you are trying to prove a point is silly considering I actually agree with the point that games will
Unlikely be finishing
But I fully agree with the stance that PNE are saying in the fact they want to try and play the remaining games if possible. Going back to what you said previously. It would be very ‘potty’ for PNE to say let’s end the season now when they are footballers and actually
Want to play football. Well played PNE.
As for June and July being ‘cricket’ months. If someone gave me the option of cricket or football for the next few months I would pick football any day. Cricket is a boring sport.
I would rather watch cricket every day of the week and if anyone says it’s boring is ignorant and ill informed

JohnPNE

Manager
I would rather watch cricket every day of the week and if anyone says it’s boring is ignorant and ill informed
Just my opinion. I’ve been to a few cricket matches. Went to a test match a few years ago. Went for the beer - the cricket was rubbish. I don’t like it but then again we don’t all need to like cricket. I like watching darts and tennis. I’m sure people on here will tell me that’s boring.

LostinSpace

PNE Exile
Patron
I understand the argument of winning with integrity but I do prefer a 'win at all costs' approach
In this case, I agree.

We still don’t know how this will play out but if we end up getting promoted with the help of Lady Luck, it’ll be nothing less than pay back for all the bad luck we’ve had in our recent history.

LostinSpace

PNE Exile
Patron
Just my opinion. I’ve been to a few cricket matches. Went to a test match a few years ago. Went for the beer - the cricket was rubbish. I don’t like it but then again we don’t all need to like cricket. I like watching darts and tennis. I’m sure people on here will tell me that’s boring.
I really like Formula One, and to mirror what Ando said about cricket, anyone who says it’s boring is ignorant and ill informed

LostinSpace

PNE Exile
Patron
If everyone had your can’t do attitude, nothing would ever be finished.

We need to try, “nothing ventured, nothing gained.”

portisheadpete

Forum Patron
Patron
If everyone had your can’t do attitude, nothing would ever be finished.

We need to try, “nothing ventured, nothing gained.”
Had you not spotted that we are wrestling with a national pandemic which has shown very slight signs of remitting over the last 2 weeks only. And all of a sudden there are grand plans on the basis it will just contunue to reduce and disappear as if by a magical wave of the hand. Just like the schools, a measured approach might be optimal, take stock over the summer recess and properly plan how to conduct next season with some order.

pnepne1976

Reserve
I'm firmly in the go straight to playoffs camp, but understand totally what PNE are saying publicly. The Covid situation is vastly different between countries (and regions) and expecting what run smoothly in Germany to be replicated here is a pipe dream. The thought of Pearo being available for two only crunch games is a big turn on, it would be our best shot at the Prem hands down.

wld

Forum Patron
Patron
I'm firmly in the go straight to playoffs camp, but understand totally what PNE are saying publicly. The Covid situation is vastly different between countries (and regions) and expecting what run smoothly in Germany to be replicated here is a pipe dream. The thought of Pearo being available for two only crunch games is a big turn on, it would be our best shot at the Prem hands down.
If we‘re to get promoted, calling a halt to the season now is our best option. We have a starting 11 that is more than capable of matching anyone when playing at full capacity but once we start getting injuries or fatigue, not so much. Those 9 games give us a chance of injuries, especially after so long without games and lessens our chances.

However, our public stance is correct and does us credit. It stops the whining of the likes of Norwich if our league doesn’t finish and they have to, it avoids any self interest allegations like the odious Brighton and Hull CEOs have had and is simply the right thing to try and do.

JohnPNE

Manager
Had you not spotted that we are wrestling with a national pandemic which has shown very slight signs of remitting over the last 2 weeks only. And all of a sudden there are grand plans on the basis it will just contunue to reduce and disappear as if by a magical wave of the hand. Just like the schools, a measured approach might be optimal, take stock over the summer recess and properly plan how to conduct next season with some order.
But you can’t just forget this season and move onto the next without promotions/elevations being decided. The EFL have already said the play offs will take place so there will be some football taking place. I guess you will
Be watching the cricket whilst Preston play in the play offs?
Germany has shown how it can work so I’m guessing football will be starting again at some point. No one is thick enough to think it will just disappear. But you seem to contradict yourself. You seem to have no problem with crowded beaches but as soon as football is going to start again it’s ‘I don’t want to watch Preston in the play offs I want to watch cricket instead.’