PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Coronavirus football options summarised (Premier League Restart 17/06/20 (post1,630)

Worst case now would be we play a game, lose, fall out of the top 6 and then they decide not to press on with the season. Puts even more pressure on each individual result from here on out.

There is no doubt those thoughts will be in the mind of many of the top six clubs owners id imagine.

Worst case now would be we play a game, lose, fall out of the top 6 and then they decide not to press on with the season. Puts even more pressure on each individual result from here on out.

If there's even the remotest possibility of that the season shouldn't be restarted.

They go on about the integrity of the competition but that would make it a laughing stock.

So we now know. we might to 2 games off making it to the Prem......

ok it might not seems the fairest way, but we've lost out to some teams who bent / broke the rules before.
At least we would have the chance of going up ''within'' the new rules...

So, to get to 51% we would need 11 clubs to join Hull in wanting the season to be settled 'safely' on PPG.. Who would those 11 be ?

Obviously Leeds and WBA.
Probably Stoke; Middlesboro; Wigan and Huddersfield
Possibly Brentford and Notts Forest (presuming Fulham think they could make the top 2 still would vote against).
So thats 8.... WE could make it 9....

So two more... - Barnsley might think its better to save the restart money for a crack at Promotion but presume not.

therefore we would probably need 2 of Reading; Sheff Weds and Birmingham to conclude their season is over and to cut their losses....
Especially if 2 of them fear losing points under the FFP rules....and get relegated!?

There was never a chance it would be voided and rightly so. Hopefully we vote to finish the season but if not then it’s a silver lining that we finish 6th.

I have no doubt PNE (i.e. TH) will vote to play out the season, the full 46 games, and secure the TV money without rebate.

Does anyone seriously think otherwise?

Class news.

Now I can bet back to falling out with people Ive never met on an online forum over football instead of falling out with people ive never met on an online forum over politics and coronavirus.

Ill get us back under way by saying:

Sean Maguire has scored 1 goal in the last 8 months

Class news.

Now I can bet back to falling out with people Ive never met on an online forum over football instead of falling out with people ive never met on an online forum over politics and coronavirus.

He needs better service. He's not an attacking left winger either.

Class news.

But how many virtual goals did he score in the lockdown competitions?

Class news.

Even DJ hasn't scored in 2 months. Diabolical

I have no doubt PNE (i.e. TH) will vote to play out the season, the full 46 games, and secure the TV money without rebate.

Does anyone seriously think otherwise?

How much is that TV money worth - taking account of all the costs of playing the 9 matches, with all the travel, COVID safeguards, appearance fees and hopefully win bonuses- and at the end of all that a fair chance of no play-offs? And might we have to extend some player contracts to complete an extended season.
I really don’t know but I’m not even sure those 9 games would turn a profit unless we got a LOT of live tv money - which might happen if we hang in there.
But the alternative is none of that fuss, guaranteed income from play-offs, presumably done before new contracts need implementing- and potentially 2 matches away from the riches of the prem.

If it’s all about money, as you imply, then I don’t think you’re right.

So we now know. we might to 2 games off making it to the Prem......

ok it might not seems the fairest way, but we've lost out to some teams who bent / broke the rules before.
At least we would have the chance of going up ''within'' the new rules...

So, to get to 51% we would need 11 clubs to join Hull in wanting the season to be settled 'safely' on PPG.. Who would those 11 be ?

Obviously Leeds and WBA.
Probably Stoke; Middlesboro; Wigan and Huddersfield
Possibly Brentford and Notts Forest (presuming Fulham think they could make the top 2 still would vote against).
So thats 8.... WE could make it 9....

So two more... - Barnsley might think its better to save the restart money for a crack at Promotion but presume not.

therefore we would probably need 2 of Reading; Sheff Weds and Birmingham to conclude their season is over and to cut their losses....
Especially if 2 of them fear losing points under the FFP rules....and get relegated!?

I think WBA will want to play if there is a chance of being champions.

@norfolk white - did you keep your thread up-to-date where all the contenders’ fixtures were listed? Would be interesting to see what the next 2 or 3 fixtures of BC, Millwall, Cardiff and Rovers look like. (even though there is no real ‘form book’ to go off right now). I agree that if they start these 9 games, there is a fair chance they will have to stop soon afterwards - so essential to stay in top 6

How much is that TV money worth - taking account of all the costs of playing the 9 matches, with all the travel, COVID safeguards, appearance fees and hopefully win bonuses- and at the end of all that a fair chance of no play-offs? And might we have to extend some player contracts to complete an extended season.
I really don’t know but I’m not even sure those 9 games would turn a profit unless we got a LOT of live tv money - which might happen if we hang in there.
But the alternative is none of that fuss, guaranteed income from play-offs, presumably done before new contracts need implementing- and potentially 2 matches away from the riches of the prem.

If it’s all about money, as you imply, then I don’t think you’re right.
Yeah, maybe you're right - but then I guess you'll probably have some evidence to back that up?

Because I've been watching the club's media profile over the last few weeks, and - yunno - it seems pretty obvious to me what their intentions are.

But please feel free to provide the counter-evidence (which I freely admit, I haven't seen anywhere) to explain where I've got the wrong signals:

LEP May 8th - "PNE have been planning what safety and social distancing measures to put in place at their Springfields training ground for when the players are allowed to return."

LEP May 11th - "PNE winger Tom Barkhuizen hopes a decision will be made to restart the Championship campaign and allow North End the chance to push for the play-offs."

LEP May 12th - "PNE are hopeful of returning to training this weekend for the first time since March."

LEP May 13th - Billy Bodin: "Should the season restart in the summer, PNE winger Billy Bodin is likely to be fit to play a part after surgery earlier in the year."

LEP May 13th - Daniel Johnson: "PNE midfielder Daniel Johnson hopes the season can be played to a conclusion at some stage so that the hard work put in over 37 games isn't wasted."

Continued...

LEP May 14th - Josh Harrop: "PNE midfielder Josh Harrop on football taking a 'step-by-step' approach towards a resumption of the season."

PNE Twitter account May 15th - Alex Neil: "Manager Alex Neil gives an update on his plans for the players’ return after the EFL confirmed they would be returning to training from 25th May."

PNE Twitter account May 19th - Andrew Hughes: "Our ambition is still to get promoted. When the players return to training next week, they will just have one thing on their mind."

PNE Twitter account May 20th - Andrew Hughes: "We have nine games and we have to try and make the most of them."

If the season is curtailed, PNE are in the play offs which will be played.

Why would PNE, Fulham, Notts F and Brentford vote for the remaining games to be played if there is a chance that they might drop out of the top six?

If the season is curtailed, PNE are in the play offs which will be played.

Why would PNE, Fulham, Notts F and Brentford vote for the remaining games to be played if there is a chance that they might drop out of the top six?
Sporting integrity?