PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Coronavirus football options summarised (Premier League Restart 17/06/20 (post1,630)

Could this be one of the reasons PNE wish to complete the season - rather than purely to prevent a rebate of the TV cash?
One of the reasons, aye.

But curiously, it's not one of the reasons proposed by anyone in the last few posts - except me. 🤷‍♂️

@norfolk white - did you keep your thread up-to-date where all the contenders’ fixtures were listed? Would be interesting to see what the next 2 or 3 fixtures of BC, Millwall, Cardiff and Rovers look like. (even though there is no real ‘form book’ to go off right now). I agree that if they start these 9 games, there is a fair chance they will have to stop soon afterwards - so essential to stay in top 6
Hi, it was up-to-date as and when the season was stopped. I'll bump it up so we can all have a look at the last 9 games of the regular season to be played.

Sporting integrity?
If there was no sporting integrity, and I don’t think there is a lot, the only teams wanting to play will be WBA, teams 7-10 and the bottom 3. About 30%!
The teams who are in the play offs will be the only ones getting TV money

Class news.

Now I can bet back to falling out with people Ive never met on an online forum over football instead of falling out with people ive never met on an online forum over politics and coronavirus.

Ill get us back under way by saying:

Sean Maguire has scored 1 goal in the last 8 months
He hasnt missed a chance for 2 months now!!

One of the reasons, aye.

But curiously, it's not one of the reasons proposed by anyone in the last few posts - except me. 🤷‍♂️

I'm unsure what you're suggesting.

PNE are a business - a loss making one - and the clubs already imbalanced finances are going to be adversely effected by corona just like any enterprise. Clubs finances are going to be one of the things that informs decisions about how to manage the remainder of the season.

The people who run the business end of PNE have a duty to manage the clubs finances as best they can during this uncertainty, and the playing staff understandably don't want their hard work - which has yielded a decent chance of promotion - reduced to nothing.

Finances are a factor in project re-start - they have to be - but I don't think they're the exclusive motivator issue for PNE.

Yeah, maybe you're right - but then I guess you'll probably have some evidence to back that up?

Because I've been watching the club's media profile over the last few weeks, and - yunno - it seems pretty obvious to me what their intentions are.

But please feel free to provide the counter-evidence (which I freely admit, I haven't seen anywhere) to explain where I've got the wrong signals:

LEP May 8th - "PNE have been planning what safety and social distancing measures to put in place at their Springfields training ground for when the players are allowed to return."

LEP May 11th - "PNE winger Tom Barkhuizen hopes a decision will be made to restart the Championship campaign and allow North End the chance to push for the play-offs."

LEP May 12th - "PNE are hopeful of returning to training this weekend for the first time since March."

LEP May 13th - Billy Bodin: "Should the season restart in the summer, PNE winger Billy Bodin is likely to be fit to play a part after surgery earlier in the year."

LEP May 13th - Daniel Johnson: "PNE midfielder Daniel Johnson hopes the season can be played to a conclusion at some stage so that the hard work put in over 37 games isn't wasted."

What the fuck are you on about?

I may have misread the recommendations. However I think the curtailment rules also apply in the event that the season restarts then fails to finish. Which may be a quite likely scenario. This would open the door to all sorts of shenanigans with your position determined by ave pts per game. For example teams might aim to have games against tougher opposition cancelled say on a premise of safety or nos players infected. Thereby maintaining a better ave pts per game. I think the curtailment rules should only apply if the season doesnt restart at all. Not that Im biased☺

I don’t understand why WBA would want to finish the season if the other option on the table is that they and Leeds were promoted and the next four play off.

They might want to overtake Leeds in order to be declared champions. Looks good on their Roll of Fame!

I make it 10 that will very likely be happy to stop.

Leeds, West Brom, Brentford, Forest, Us, Stoke, Hudds, Boro, Wigan, Hull.

Fulham probably fancy having a pop at West Brom, the rest of the top 6 have something to lose and those just out of relegation now will be very happy to stop.

Of the rest the bottom 3 will want a chance to play their way out and everyone Birmingham upwards prob thinks they can put a run together and make the playoffs. In football terms they don't really have a choice, to throw the season in sends a terrible message to their fans.

V slight chance some clubs will take the moral welfare angle but this is the likes of Birmingham, Derby and Sheff W....

On balance, I reckon we'll be playing on.

I'll not recopy the previous page with all the quotes from various players, but of course they are all going to say, yes we all want to get back to playing and push for promotion. They are hardly going to say, yes we are all a bunch of lazy sods who just want to take some more time off. I just feel the longer this will we, won't we saga goes on, the more distasteful it all gets.
Nobody seems to want to admit, this isn't about " sporting integrity ", it's about money.

Interesting that he says that only Hull so far have come out absolutely against playing on.
In fact, Hull have not ‘come out’ in the accepted sense. A private letter they wrote to the EFL indicating their objection was leaked to The Telegraph, much to Hull’s embarrassment. Any club seen to oppose restarting will be open to accusations of selfishness and not respecting ‘sporting Integrity’. So, what clubs say in public at the moment (Preston included) may not necessarily be a true reflection of how they vote (would be nice if it wasn’t a private ballot but I don’t suppose that will be the case).

Interesting that he says that only Hull so far have come out absolutely against playing on.

Not sure what if anything PNE have to lose

They are only 'just' in a playoff position
IF the season was declare 'over' they would still have to win through, and they have only managed to win through the once from that position
And WE the 'fans' wouldn't get to see it, except if it was on TV
Personally I doubt we will see another parade through the streets anytime soon

I'm unsure what you're suggesting.

PNE are a business - a loss making one - and the clubs already imbalanced finances are going to be adversely effected by corona just like any enterprise. Clubs finances are going to be one of the things that informs decisions about how to manage the remainder of the season.

The people who run the business end of PNE have a duty to manage the clubs finances as best they can during this uncertainty, and the playing staff understandably don't want their hard work - which has yielded a decent chance of promotion - reduced to nothing.

Finances are a factor in project re-start - they have to be - but I don't think they're the exclusive motivator issue for PNE.
There are 2 reasons for PNE wanting to play on - secure the TV money without a rebate, and to play out the season properly in sporting terms. Take your pick which reason is paramount.

There's only really 1 reason for PNE to vote for suspension/PPG - to secure 6th place, albeit at the cost of a TV money rebate. Effectively forfeiting a chunk of money for a guaranteed lottery ticket.

PNE have confirmed today (in the LEP) they'll be voting to play on, so I guess the arguments against that are academic now.

As I suggested yesterday, it was never seriously in any doubt which way PNE would vote - their messaging for the last few weeks has been consistently pro-restart.

There are 2 reasons for PNE wanting to play on - secure the TV money without a rebate, and to play out the season properly in sporting terms. Take your pick which reason is paramount.

There's only really 1 reason for PNE to vote for suspension/PPG - to secure 6th place, albeit at the cost of a TV money rebate. Effectively forfeiting a chunk of money for a guaranteed lottery ticket.

PNE have confirmed today (in the LEP) they'll be voting to play on, so I guess the arguments against that are academic now.

As I suggested yesterday, it was never seriously in any doubt which way PNE would vote - their messaging for the last few weeks has been consistently pro-restart.

and your point is?