PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Coronavirus football options summarised (Premier League Restart 17/06/20 (post1,630)

There have been many ideas floating around online from fans and professionals about what should be done with the coronavirus situation. I have looked at these and summarised what I feel is likely to happen. I obviously expect conflicting opinions from those who will reply. As stated with my last point, there is no truly fair way to sort this out for all clubs.

Season null and void ✅ PL & EFL rules state that no team can be relegated or promoted unless all 38/46 games have been played, as it stands it is hard to see how they find the time to finish the season as the situation in the UK will only get worse.

Play behind closed doors ✅ if the authorities decide that games can go ahead without fans in attendance, this is a good way to complete the fixtures and without any legal implications other ideas would bring up.

Playing until the games are played, however long that takes, and possibly delaying the following season ❌ Some teams will have players out of contract on 30 June. All games will have to be played before then, and you cannot force a player to sign a contract extension just to keep a season going indefinitely until you complete this season. Players have to be registered to play for a team for a reason.

Play next season, but start with the points from this season ❌ a season lasts 12 months, not 24 (or more). The rules all teams agree on at the start of the season state that the season runs from 1 July - 31 June.

Play with a 22 team Premier League next season (promoting WBA & Leeds) ❌ As started with the first point, no teams can be promoted or relegated without all games played, 46 in the case of both WBA & Leeds. It would also be unfair on those behind who could benefit on one of those teams imploding and those in the playoffs.

Cancel Euro 2020 becoming Euro 2021 ✅ the Euros would be held from 12 June – 12 July, this would give teams an extra 3 weeks to complete games before 30 June when the season ends. The Euros being delayed by a year already looks likely.

If there are to be no parachute payments due to no sides being relegated, use the money lower leagues ✅ teams in the lower leagues will suffer more than others from lack of revenue. A way to work it out could be finding the average attendance of those games played, working out the average revenue per game, and providing the equivalent sum for each remaining home game.

Is there a fair way to sorting out the problems caused by coronavirus ❌ Some teams who deserve to be promoted this season won’t be (Leeds, WBA, Coventry), teams who may have a chance to show they deserve to go up via the playoffs won’t (PNE, Fulham, Brentford, Oxford, Portsmouth), teams who deserve to go down won’t (Norwich, Villa, Barnsley, Luton). If there is no time to finish the leagues in the given time period a null and void season is all teams can do given the rules and laws already in place by the leagues. It sucks for certain teams, but unfortunately life isn’t fair, and life is more important than a game of football.

I welcome everyone’s opinions and know there will be disagreements,
Thanks

No point worrying about it, just wait and see, wouldn't mind being automatically put in the playoffs though

Give liverpool the prem title cos no one is ever going to catch them this season. Season finishes as it stands but no promotion or relegation.
Shame for Leeds ;)

Season finishes as it stands. There is not enough time to finish the season and however it’s done some clubs will be aggrieved so it’s fair no promotions or relegations as though this season hadn’t happened at all. I can’t see any other way around it so that every club is treated equally and fairly. As for parachute payments, those that have already had their final payment this current season should already have budgeted for next season without it. Those payments for next season should be paid to lower league clubs equally.

For me if the season is null and void which looks most obvious, it isnt fair.

Prem teams get an extra season of the prem money and hence strengthen their positions in the league.

Selfishly us as PNE, our players are out of contract at end of next season, we will probably sell the key men in summer and be worse off going into August.

In summary i would:
- finish the current season at a later date
- move the euros to Winter 2020 to tie in with the World Cup in Qatar in 2022.
- start the 20/21 season later and let it run into summer 2021 if necessary (include more midweek games)
- cancel the nations league for the longer domestic season
- start 21/22 season as normal

All subject to length and time of virus spread

Aside from it benefitting us, a great reason for carrying the points forward to next season is that it will make it even more hilarious when Leeds blow it.........

It really isn’t a shame for Leeds, it’s karma for ripping off all the away fans.
There is a wink in there Joan, I for one would be delighted to see Leeds stopped from gaining promotion, I don't hate any club, but my dislike for Leeds is intense.

For me if the season is null and void which looks most obvious, it isnt fair.

Prem teams get an extra season of the prem money and hence strengthen their positions in the league.

Selfishly us as PNE, our players are out of contract at end of next season, we will probably sell the key men in summer and be worse off going into August.

In summary i would:
- finish the current season at a later date
- move the euros to Winter 2020 to tie in with the World Cup in Qatar in 2022.
- start the 20/21 season later and let it run into summer 2021 if necessary (include more midweek games)
- cancel the nations league for the longer domestic season
- start 21/22 season as normal

All subject to length and time of virus spread

I understand your view totally. However in football a lot of things aren’t fair, we have been on the receiving end of injustice on many occasions. Sometimes more serious events overtake football like the corona virus pandemic and people will die from it, and in the grand scheme of things, that is totally unfair but its a fact that life isn’t always fair.

Short of completing the season surely you cannot give anyone titles/promotions or relegations because no team (even Liverpool) have actually achieved it . Nothing is decided till the fat lady sings.
Totally agree, but can you imagine the meltdown in Liverpool ??

Totally agree, but can you imagine the meltdown in Liverpool ??
Klopp has killed that myth stone dead.

I don’t think this is a moment where the thoughts of a football manager should be important, but I understand for our supporters they will want to hear from the team and I will front that.

First and foremost, all of us have to do whatever we can to protect one another. In society, I mean. This should be the case all the time in life, but in this moment I think it matters more than ever.

I’ve said before that football always seems the most important of the least important things. Today, football and football matches really aren’t important at all.

Of course, we don’t want to play in front of an empty stadium and we don’t want games or competitions suspended, but if doing so helps one individual stay healthy — just one — we do it no questions asked.

If it’s a choice between football and the good of the wider society, it’s no contest. Really, it isn’t.

Today’s decision and announcement is being implemented with the motive of keeping people safe. Because of that we support it completely. We have seen members of teams we compete against become ill. This virus has shown that being involved in football offers no immunity. To our rival clubs and individuals who are affected and to those who later will become so, you are in our thoughts and prayers.

None of us know in this moment what the final outcome will be, but as a team we have to have belief that the authorities make decisions based on sound judgement and morality.

Yes, I am the manager of this team and club and therefore carry a leadership responsibility with regards to our future on the pitch. But I think in the present moment, with so many people around our city, the region, the country and the world facing anxiety and uncertainty, it would be entirely wrong to speak about anything other than advising people to follow expert advice and look after themselves and each other.

The message from the team to our supporters is only about your well-being. Put your health first. Don’t take any risk. Think about the vulnerable in our society and act where possible with compassion for them.

Please look after yourselves and look out for each other.

You’ll Never Walk Alone,

Also I suspect this business will have a hugely deflating effect on the transfer market - we won't get anywhere near the value of players before this all began

How can Liverpool be crowned Champions (even though we all know that they'll win it if the league resumes) yet no teams will be Relegated if the season remained incomplete?

You cannot have one rule at one end of the table with a completely different rule at the other end.

If there is to be no Relegation, then equally, there can be no Champion.

This is the bottom line folks.