PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Coronavirus football options summarised (Premier League Restart 17/06/20 (post1,630)

But you can’t just forget this season and move onto the next without promotions/elevations being decided. The EFL have already said the play offs will take place so there will be some football taking place. I guess you will
Be watching the cricket whilst Preston play in the play offs?
Germany has shown how it can work so I’m guessing football will be starting again at some point. No one is thick enough to think it will just disappear. But you seem to contradict yourself. You seem to have no problem with crowded beaches but as soon as football is going to start again it’s ‘I don’t want to watch Preston in the play offs I want to watch cricket instead.’

It makes sense to me to think you can hope and aim to complete the 5 play off games behind closed doors in the limited time available to complete the season. But not all the remaining fixtures since it just takes one or two squads to end up quaratined to derail the whole affair. Why Scotland and others have proceeded as they have. As for the beaches theyre not crowded and the M5 down the road is relatively quiet. Just you keep consuming what youre fed though.

It makes sense to me to think you can hope and aim to complete the 5 play off games behind closed doors in the limited time available to complete the season. But not all the remaining fixtures since it just takes one or two squads to end up quaratined to derail the whole affair. Why Scotland and others have proceeded as they have. As for the beaches theyre not crowded and the M5 down the road is relatively quiet. Just you keep consuming what youre fed though.

How do you know they aren’t crowded? Did you go to Southend and Bournemouth on Wednesday. Packed according to the locals. But hey you know more than them.

How do you know they aren’t crowded? Did you go to Southend and Bournemouth on Wednesday. Packed according to the locals. But hey you know more than them.

The good news for you is that its currently raining in North Somerset so you dont have to worry yourself too much about what other people are doing outside down here. Im about to go down to the vets to get Betty a worming tablet. Is that OK by you or do you have a view on that as a legitimate activity.

Only 3 play off games, not 5. 2 one leg semis and one final.

Just my opinion. I’ve been to a few cricket matches. Went to a test match a few years ago. Went for the beer - the cricket was rubbish. I don’t like it but then again we don’t all need to like cricket. I like watching darts and tennis. I’m sure people on here will tell me that’s boring.
Fair point John, each to their own..... It wouldnt do if we all liked the same things.

I dont mind tennis or darts, but i would never put them ahead of cricket ( my opinion )

Straight to play offs for me. Fit squad with two games to play and match for anyone.
Beat Fulham in one leg semi.
Beat Brentford who I think would do Forest.
job done!
I would love it if this was true......... We would all have to celebrate indoors though !!!!

The good news for you is that its currently raining in North Somerset so you dont have to worry yourself too much about what other people are doing outside down here. Im about to go down to the vets to get Betty a worming tablet. Is that OK by you or do you have a view on that as a legitimate activity.

of course provided you stick to social distancing and there isn’t hundreds of people inside the vets.

Options as I see things at the moment.
Play out all remaining games.
- “Integrity of the game” maintained. Each team have then played each other twice, MONEY situation not compromised and final league position earned or lost on merit.
- Desirable in all circumstances? Other than CV19 yes; but games could be started and the competition fall flat on its face if any of players, staff, officials, TV crews contract the virus. Contracted within the game situation or outside? No one would know. God forbid someone contracts and does not recover. The effect on the “game” going forward? What will the cost/risk be to clubs required to compete, whether the season to them is potentially meaningful or not?
Cancel the season with whichever convoluted points per game formula best suits the majority voting.
- The season restricted to a handful of games in some contrived formula. Could be completed in short time-frame removing the possibility of players not completing the competition. Satisfies the promotion and relegation conundrum. Less cost to clubs and less potential for all involved around the games to become infected.
- If the means to decide the points system is decided by vote, then obviously determined in the majority by self interest. Whatever system decided is artificial and can’t possibly be faithful to a season with games completed. Otherwise perm the limited systems and win the pools every week?
Cancel the season as is, with top 2 promoted & mini play-off comp for 3-6.
- benefits as above but positions based on reality of games played.
I’d prefer the latter option, Maintains the “integrity” of the game. Not subject to artificial Mathematics or biased votes. No expenditure/risk for those not involved, meaning the majority of clubs. This means only teams 2-6 in the Championship need to actually play any games (per REM above, 3 games only. All other teams in the pyramid are exempt from the finance and risk involved in setting up games.
The Premiership should be cancelled as is. Liverpool champions, bottom clubs relegated. All based on an equal number of games played. Any other option can only be motivated by self interest and greed and involve unwarranted risk for many.
I like to watch football, I’ve loved PNE for (too!) many years. But we are talking when all is said and done about a game. When we should be thinking about loss of life, family, friends, livelihoods.
Get this season over based on the reality of games played to date, points earned or lost, and with only 4 teams needing to actually cross swords.
Only then consider a new season as dictated by the realities of the months ahead, which at this moment are total unknowns.
In reality, cash is king it seems. Despite all the challenges and unknowns we currently face, we are happy to put large numbers of people, sons, daughters, husbands, wives etc at risk. At the end of the day for a game. And not so much that as bad as that is, but in all honesty, for money.

Not sure how games being played behind closed doors is a big plus for anyone? Has anyone watched the Bundesliga? Awful if you ask me! I also think it’s a disgrace that pressure is put on any Leagues down to integrity or money down to tv rights....... It fucking stinks

And it came here probably from one source
two is two too many
Hopefully it’s on the wane though...the man who is leading the Oxford vaccine project Prof Adrian Hill is feeling pessimistic because there may not be enough virus in the community for the trial volunteers to get infected.

Hopefully it’s on the wane though...the man who is leading the Oxford vaccine project Prof Adrian Hill is feeling pessimistic because there may not be enough virus in the community for the trial volunteers to get infected.

The WHO have given provisional approval for otherwise healthy people to be deliberately infected with the virus.