Coronavirus science and statistics(no politics)

jakehake

Preachs PA
Staff member
Patron
In the interests of the quiet majority, both this thread and the existing one are interesting places currently but to allow the science and the analysis a safe place please use this thread to discuss those aspects only. If people wish to use the same link/piece for a political point then by all means paste it in the other thread with your political narrative.

NO POLITICS OR PARTY SLANGING MATCHES.

Any posts deemed political will be transferred to the other main thread. Any posters breaking the rules repeatedly or on purpose will be issued reply bans from this thread.
But hopefully people can self regulate when you’ve been given some guidance. As it’s going to be subjective please flag posts within the thread for deletion/moving unless they genuinely are breaching the main form rules in which case Report should be used.

18/04 13:00 Update
GOLDEN RULE: Absolutely NO posting anything involving David Icke. Theres an entire sub forum for jokes and funnies.

Last edited:
OP
J

jakehake

Preachs PA
Staff member
Patron

wld

Forum Patron
Patron
And here, funny old thing, the govt has finally realised that it needs to be doing contact tracing. A major failing right from the start not doing this as proven by Germany and Korea.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/17/uk-to-start-coronavirus-contact-tracing-again

When this started we were assured we had the best contact tracing system in the world. Either that was a complete lie or we thought better of using it.

I know we’ve moved on since February but this was interesting about tracing.

truenorthender

Advisor to the Owner
One that Bill Gates or mates miraculously develop or the Chinese pop up with. Hold out to a given point... or is that me and the conspiracy fear in me
No vaccine made for the last Corona virus... *Hides

truenorthender

Advisor to the Owner
What do you mean
There's more to it. They shut down/silenced some world renown virologist on twitter over it. I was posting the scientific papers on it early in the thread but unless your Merseyside on here it would mostly be gobbedly gook*X files theme tune

PNEESSEX

Forum Patron
Patron
There's more to it. They shut down/silenced some world renown virologist on twitter over it. I was posting the scientific papers on it early in the thread but unless your Merseyside on here it would mostly be gobbedly gook*X files theme tune
One of the characteristics of Covid 19 is that the way in which it binds. I am told that it is several orders of magnitude stronger than most viruses (including HIV). Apparently, the consequence of this is that it hangs around the throat longer than most viruses and then takes hold in the lungs and the consequences of that are what we see in the daily stats

(I paraphrase what was explained to me)

OP
J

jakehake

Preachs PA
Staff member
Patron
Can we have the interesting covid-19 information migrated to here. There was some good debate hidden in amongst the rest
Will try and work out a way to copy some of the posts, but feel free for people to copy or repost their links (or quote post numbers of ones they want and will see if I can do it that way)

Edit: I've cherry picked a couple of todays and an older one of mine for "logistical reasons"

Last edited:

OOOO3

Forum Patron
Patron
One of the characteristics of Covid 19 is that the way in which it binds. I am told that it is several orders of magnitude stronger than most viruses (including HIV). Apparently, the consequence of this is that it hangs around the throat longer than most viruses and then takes hold in the lungs and the consequences of that are what we see in the daily stats

(I paraphrase what was explained to me)

Is this suggesting man made or just a well evolved virus

ben damph

Forum Patron
Patron
Is this suggesting man made or just a well evolved virus

i saw something saying it was too counter-intuitive and too smart to be man made. Apparently the way it works is a little strange and human researchers would have developed something more obvious. I read that back in the mists of time (2 weeks ago or something) and I've no idea where I read it.

OOOO3

Forum Patron
Patron
i saw something saying it was too counter-intuitive and too smart to be man made. Apparently the way it works is a little strange and human researchers would have developed something more obvious. I read that back in the mists of time (2 weeks ago or something) and I've no idea where I read it.

I was having this debate last night that if it was at least man made there would surely be a cure around to be used when deemed enough damage was done but obviously the fact someone had created it would have huge issues for the world.

But evolution would mean it could ever change and be one step ahead

PNEESSEX

Forum Patron
Patron
I was having this debate last night that if it was at least man made there would surely be a cure around to be used when deemed enough damage was done but obviously the fact someone had created it would have huge issues for the world.

But evolution would mean it could ever change and be one step ahead

There are also a number of different strains of COVID 19. I am told that there are 3 main ones, imaginatively labelled A, B and C. A is the one that jumped from bats and pangolins to humans, B is two mutations away from A and C is a mutation of B. Apparently C is what is present in Europe. Covid 19 is an RNA virus and that means, I understand, that it is more prone to mutate than DNA viruses such as herpes. At that point I couldnt actually process anymore information and we moved on the discuss the putative takeover of Newcastle Utd!!

Mer5eywhite

Forum Patron
Patron
I thought I would post this link. If you can speak Frog then you’ll be able to follow. I heard about this yesterday from folk in France and I have looked into it briefly.
I will post a proper (reasonable) translation later when I’ve got a minute.
This book stems from a CIA report collecting intelligence worldwide (2500 intelligence sources I believe) ahead of the explosion of social media. In it, Alexandre Adler doesn’t really write a book but presents the report in a way that is more reader-friendly.
At first glance, it doesn’t appear to be the typical conspiracy theorist bollocks which I expected it to be. Instead it seems to be a genuine attempt by the CIA to predict the world of tomorrow.

Like I said, I’ll translate it as best I can later but essentially the gist of it is that this was predicted quite remarkably and is expected to recur within a decade.

Dirty Harry

Advisor to the Owner
Let's hope we can get this vaccine and quick. Throughout the history of medical breakthroughs there always seemed to be something standing in the way.
Edward Jenner discovered a vaccination for smallpox which met with lots of opposition initially because Jenner could not really explain how it worked, and this took decades to overcome.
Louis Pasteur's Germ Theory was disbelieved at first because germs were invisible to the naked eye, and Alexander Fleming's discovery of penicillin was put on the back burner because the Government wouldn't fund further research. They then came up against the problem of mass-producing it and this was only achieved through millions of dollars of U.S. funding and the genius of Florey and Chain who eventually worked out a way of diluting it to extract more of it.

raefil

Shit Fan
Patron
Thought I'd repost the Chris Whitty video in here: the whole thing is worth watching. The stuff about airborne pandemics starts at 45:40

Have to admit its a video I enjoyed in its entirety, learnt a lot from it. As are this Gentlemans. He doesnt profess to be some genius scientist but does talk in a way that most lay people will understand.