PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Coronavirus science and statistics(no politics)

Because, as long as countries are internally consistent about how they collect data, then the shape of the curves will remain the same - it's the magnitude that will be different.
That makes sense 👍🏻

The shape of the curve describes the general behaviour or development of the epidemic within that sample being measured, i.e. the curves being discussed all have the same shape

Btw, the paper (imperial college London) that got the UK in this mess was not peer reviewed
It was the government that got the country in this mess, making excuses for them doesn’t wash.

It was the government that got the country in this mess, making excuses for them doesn’t wash.

Eveyone else is sticking to the spirit of the thread, keep your grunting on the other thread.

My point was in reference to previous discussion, thanks.

Exactly...... Take two Asdas... One in Manchester.. One in Preston

Asda head office ring up and ask how many bananas did you throw away yesterday?

Manchester say 25, Preston say 90.

Manchester counted bunches.. Preston counted individual bananas.... Therefore when compared like for like Preston threw out 15 bunches of 6....

Manipulation of data will always occur to make someone look better/more efficient.
That’s bananas

Eveyone else is sticking to the spirit of the thread, keep your grunting on the other thread.

My point was in reference to previous discussion, thanks.
Thanks,

but the mess was created by the government. I thought this was the factual thread so I thought I’d post a fact 👍🏻

An interesting exploration of the data and data interpretation in this BBC article

When the ONS's surveillance programme tests 30,000 over 2 weeks and finds 24 positive cases, then uses this small number of positives to draw conclusions about prevalence and spread, the statistical confidence levels must be pretty wide

Some mixed news from Sweden - that, so far, it has seen no rise in cases - although this article is very sensationalist and terms like plummet and spike are way over the top, IMO:

The economy is also holding up compared to most of Europe, although not much better than its neighbours:

And an interesting piece about how people have misreported Sweden's approach to lockdown. It was never simply letting the virus proceed unchecked:

Seeing a spike in many countries, including Germany, Spain, and Japan, but mortality hasn't risen, yet. Really hope it stays that way!

Some mixed news from Sweden - that, so far, it has seen no rise in cases - although this article is very sensationalist and terms like plummet and spike are way over the top, IMO:

The economy is also holding up compared to most of Europe, although not much better than its neighbours:

And an interesting piece about how people have misreported Sweden's approach to lockdown. It was never simply letting the virus proceed unchecked:

Seeing a spike in many countries, including Germany, Spain, and Japan, but mortality hasn't risen, yet. Really hope it stays that way!
Some signs of MSM starting to look at some of the alternative opinion at last too sepp

Read about Sweden economy, hopefully they can start to recover also