PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Cottam Way speed bumps

andyw

Think Preston Council are trying to set a world record for the number of speed bumps on one road, anyone know why there's so many?

Hopefully to slow certain drivers down.

On a different note speed bumps cause people with spinal problems major issues.

Edit:

Highways are nothing to do with Preston City Council.

There was a story on the BBC News a while back saying that speed bumps were being phased out which is great news imo. Apparently they cause people to use more fuel due to breaking and reaccelerating.

Any speed restriction which forces you to drive below the speed limit is plain stupid.

....and I have a bad back, speed bumps have given me extreme pain and more problems in the past. Result being, I drive ridiculously slowly over them which really pisses people off who are behind me.

raefil;n3396872 said:
Hopefully to slow certain drivers down.

On a different note speed bumps cause people with spinal problems major issues.

Edit:

Highways are nothing to do with Preston City Council.

Maybe not, but isn't highways that dictate the use of speed bumps on minor roads, that's the councils "job".

LostinSpace;n3397056 said:
There was a story on the BBC News a while back saying that speed bumps were being phased out which is great news imo. Apparently they cause people to use more fuel due to breaking and reaccelerating.

Any speed restriction which forces you to drive below the speed limit is plain stupid.

....and I have a bad back, speed bumps have given me extreme pain and more problems in the past. Result being, I drive ridiculously slowly over them which really pisses people off who are behind me.

My advise for you is keep well away from Cottam Way, no way will your back survive that stretch of road

andyw;n3397077 said:
My advise for you is keep well away from Cottam Way, no way will your back survive that stretch of road

Especially if you're there and in a hurry. :D

If these speed humps slow down the Audi, BMW and Mercedes driving bell-ends that frequent our roads in ever increasing numbers these days then bring it on I say.

Strongbow;n3397247 said:
If these speed humps slow down the Audi, BMW and Mercedes driving bell-ends that frequent our roads in ever increasing numbers these days then bring it on I say.

Yep, every cloud, as they say.

Strongbow;n3397247 said:

Strongbow, I agree with you there, but if you have travelled down Cottam Way recently you would find it almost undrivable

I don't know which idiot at the council/highway agency agreed to the closure of Hoyles Lane at the same time as roadworks on Cottom Way and Sidgreaves Lane both with temporary traffic lights which don't change sequence for over 5 minutes. Its a bloody joke for anyone going towards Springfields or Bartle

andyw;n3397259 said:
Strongbow, I agree with you there, but if you have travelled down Cottam Way recently you would find it almost undrivable

In fairness with amount of potholes on Lancashire's roads nowadays then most are undriveable in truth Andy.

LostinSpace;n3397058 said:
Maybe not, but isn't highways that dictate the use of speed bumps on minor roads, that's the councils "job".

Highways is LCC nothing to do with PCC

Roger Mellie;n3397297 said:
I don't know which idiot at the council/highway agency agreed to the closure of Hoyles Lane at the same time as roadworks on Cottom Way and Sidgreaves Lane both with temporary traffic lights which don't change sequence for over 5 minutes. Its a bloody joke for anyone going towards Springfields or Bartle

Anyone know why certain stretches of Hoyles Lane have been painted green?

Cottam way speed Bumps have now started to be put in. They kindly left “holes” in the road, whilst preparing for the new tarmac. That was bad enough. Noe, the new bumps are starting to be installed and they are savage. It is now a 15/20 mph road max. Anything higher than that and you’re likely to be leaving bits of your car behind.

Strongbow;n3397247 said:

I drive a BMW and can confirm I am not a bell end... I'm all for speed bumps in residential areas

buckshawwhite;n3398738 said:
I drive a BMW and can confirm I am not a bell end... I'm all for speed bumps in residential areas

cough/splutter ;)

buckshawwhite;n3398738 said:

Is that why you live in Buckshite? Spent all your dosh on a car so needed a cheap house?

buckshawwhite;n3398855 said:
A beemer seems befitting for the level of property that you will find on our wonderful beige village

Yeh if it was first registered in the nineties!