Cycling

northender2

Forum Patron
Patron
Not sure if there are many cycling fans on here but thought id start a thread in case

Strange start to the season, UAE tour cancelled with 2 stages to go, Confidis and FDJ riders still in quarantine and now 3 teams have pulled out of Strade Bianchi this weekend, not looking good for the next few weeks, hopefully all the Belgian spring classics will go ahead and everything will have cleared up by the time the Giro starts in May

OP
northender2

northender2

Forum Patron
Patron
Strong rumours that Chris Froome is about to leave Team Ineos mid-season.

Ineos have the last 3 tour winners on the team and have signed last years Giro winner in Carapaz.

Too many chiefs......

they're in danger of doing what Movistar have done over the last few years by having too many leaders who wont work together because they all want to be number 1, probably best for all parties if one of them leaves

ben damph

Forum Patron
Patron
they're in danger of doing what Movistar have done over the last few years by having too many leaders who wont work together because they all want to be number 1, probably best for all parties if one of them leaves

I agree - and it can only make the race more interesting. If it happens that is!

OP
northender2

northender2

Forum Patron
Patron
Awful crash at the end of the Tour of Poland earlier today (not going to post a video on here but if anyone really ewants to see it im sure you'll find plenty of videos online), Fabio Jakobsen left in an induced coma but things don't sound too good for him, also hope the official he hit is ok, hope they both pull through, would hate to be Dylan Gronewegan right now, he must be feeling awful and could be facing a lengthy bad if the uci decide he was to blame for the crash
This comes only a few days after a young German rider died and a year after another rider died in the Tour of Poland, not been a good time for cycling recently

ben damph

Forum Patron
Patron
Awful crash at the end of the Tour of Poland earlier today (not going to post a video on here but if anyone really ewants to see it im sure you'll find plenty of videos online), Fabio Jakobsen left in an induced coma but things don't sound too good for him, also hope the official he hit is ok, hope they both pull through, would hate to be Dylan Gronewegan right now, he must be feeling awful and could be facing a lengthy bad if the uci decide he was to blame for the crash
This comes only a few days after a young German rider died and a year after another rider died in the Tour of Poland, not been a good time for cycling recently

The worst crash I've ever seen. I was watching live and couldn't face watching the replay - I was convinced he'd died.

Seemingly he has no brain or spinal damage but it sounds like his jaw and face have been wrecked.

Groenewegen has already been ejected from the race and referred to the Disciplinary Commission.

Hopefully he'll be suspended for at least the rest of the year - I'm not sure how other riders can be expected to compete against a guy who'll go that far to prevent you winning.

MrHodgeheg123

Alpha male
Patron
The worst crash I've ever seen. I was watching live and couldn't face watching the replay - I was convinced he'd died.

Seemingly he has no brain or spinal damage but it sounds like his jaw and face have been wrecked.

Groenewegen has already been ejected from the race and referred to the Disciplinary Commission.

Hopefully he'll be suspended for at least the rest of the year - I'm not sure how other riders can be expected to compete against a guy who'll go that far to prevent you winning.
Sounds horrendous and won't be bothering searching online for it either.
I'm not a follower of the sport but serious accidents don't seem uncommon. For those that watch it, is there realistically anything that could be done to make the sport safer?
For starters, the head protection seems woefully inadequate.

OP
northender2

northender2

Forum Patron
Patron
Sounds horrendous and won't be bothering searching online for it either.
I'm not a follower of the sport but serious accidents don't seem uncommon. For those that watch it, is there realistically anything that could be done to make the sport safer?
For starters, the head protection seems woefully inadequate.
when you've got sprints of up to 50mph with riders only a few cm away from each other and the only protection you have is a polystyrene helmet, there's bound to be some serious injuries, not really too sure what else can be done, this was a freak accident, although it was caused by another rider leaning on Jakobsen and forcing him into the barriers

OP
northender2

northender2

Forum Patron
Patron
Chris Froome and Geraint Thomas BOTH left out of the Team Ineos team for the Tour de France. Amazing!
not surprising, their form has been poor so far since the restart, wonder if Isreal will regret getting Froome, cant see him being anywhere near the front of a grand tour again, isn't the same rider after his long injury, time for the younger riders to step up but i cant see anyone stopping jumbo visma from winning the tour this year (as long as Roglic and Kruijswijk are fit)

mozzchops

Advisor to the Owner
Slightly off topic. I went out on Saturday and needed a new inner tube. Popped into leisure lakes bikes and they had no stock left. During lockdown they sold 12 months of bikes in 3 months!
Coved has been good for some firms.

Dirty Harry

Advisor to the Owner
Slightly off topic. I went out on Saturday and needed a new inner tube. Popped into leisure lakes bikes and they had no stock left. During lockdown they sold 12 months of bikes in 3 months!
Coved has been good for some firms.
I would imagine it's a good business to get into just now.

Dirty Harry

Advisor to the Owner
For those interested in a future 'staycation' combining a British holiday with a love of cycling, and maybe English history, there's a great sounding new cycle route been open known as 'King Alfred's Way', a 220 mile circuit winding its way through the old 'Wessex' area around Wiltshire, Dorset, Hampshire and Berkshire. The route takes in gentle forests, hills, Salisbury Plain, and historic sites such as Stonehenge, Uffington White Horse and various castles. Sounds grand and might be something I'd consider. You can read about it in today's Guardian.

OP
northender2

northender2

Forum Patron
Patron
For those interested in a future 'staycation' combining a British holiday with a love of cycling, and maybe English history, there's a great sounding new cycle route been open known as 'King Alfred's Way', a 220 mile circuit winding its way through the old 'Wessex' area around Wiltshire, Dorset, Hampshire and Berkshire. The route takes in gentle forests, hills, Salisbury Plain, and historic sites such as Stonehenge, Uffington White Horse and various castles. Sounds grand and might be something I'd consider. You can read about it in today's Guardian.
Might have to give that a go sometime, although it would mean buying a new bike, doesn't look like it's a friendly route for my skinny 25mm road tyres

OP
northender2

northender2

Forum Patron
Patron
....and, of course, Tour de France gets underway tomorrow.
Just hope they make it all the way to Paris, some strict rules regarding coronavirus testing and teams being thrown out if they have 2 positive tests (was hoping we wouldn't be talking about cycling and positive tests after the Armstrong era!)
Preston's own Hugh Carthy is making his tour debut this year, did well at the Giro last year and looks a good prospect for the future

Dirty Harry

Advisor to the Owner
Just hope they make it all the way to Paris, some strict rules regarding coronavirus testing and teams being thrown out if they have 2 positive tests (was hoping we wouldn't be talking about cycling and positive tests after the Armstrong era!)
Preston's own Hugh Carthy is making his tour debut this year, did well at the Giro last year and looks a good prospect for the future
Fingers crossed, then.

baysidepne

Living the dream
Patron
Going to be a strange tour but straight into a decent first week.

Had a small e/w bet on Allaphilippe and Carapaz (Bernal still talking about this bad back so wouldn't be shocked to see him abandon if falls out of contention). Like the look at Jumbo-Visma but who doesn't, a team full of talent.

Fingers crossed for a decent Tour for Hugh Carthy too, did really well at the Giro last year and hopefully does the same this year for Rigoberto Uran and Daniel Martinez (who I think is a future GT winner)