Cycling

baysidepne

Living the dream
Patron
Hugh Carthy can time trial.

This is going to be a fantastic end to the Vuelta this week. We've been treated to three fantastic Grand Tours this year.

OP
northender2

northender2

Forum Patron
Patron
Hugh Carthy can time trial.

This is going to be a fantastic end to the Vuelta this week. We've been treated to three fantastic Grand Tours this year.
just had a look at the overall standings, Carthy is 47 seconds down, Roglic has 32 more bonus seconds than Carthy, if they got rid of the bonus seconds there'd only be 15 seconds separating the top 3

Scrubdog

Manager
It will incredible to see him on the podium on Sunday. Really have everything crossed for him.

One thing for sure, he has arrived on the world stage as a GC rider. He's set for life!

portisheadpete

Forum Patron
Patron
The 2 part doc Lance warts and all about Armstrong's life mainly from his point of view is utterly absorbing. Not sure if its a repeat. I player.

jcfartpants

Chief Anal Acoustician
Patron
The 2 part doc Lance warts and all about Armstrong's life mainly from his point of view is utterly absorbing. Not sure if its a repeat. I player.
I honestly can't watch that cheating bastard and it pains me that tv companies are still putting him in the spotlight. Basically, the entirety of the sport of cycling that I have followed since the mid-80s has been ruined because of him. He systematically cheated for years, corrupted the system, won the top prize, threatened anyone who spoke out, even cyclists during actual races, and he's still being paraded around.

OP
northender2

northender2

Forum Patron
Patron
its a documentary that was on ESPN last year, one of a number of Armstrong documentaries, I found this one quite annoying in parts though because it felt like Lance was trying to justify his doping and was playing the victim
I honestly can't watch that cheating bastard and it pains me that tv companies are still putting him in the spotlight. Basically, the entirety of the sport of cycling that I have followed since the mid-80s has been ruined because of him. He systematically cheated for years, corrupted the system, won the top prize, threatened anyone who spoke out, even cyclists during actual races, and he's still being paraded around.
even though everyone was doping during those years, it was the way he went about it and threatened everyone who accused him that annoys me the most, I feel so sorry for David Walsh, Betsy Androu, and (to a lesser extent due to his own doping) Frankie Androu, their names were dragged through the mud for years for telling the truth and their own careers suffered as a result

baysidepne

Living the dream
Patron
its a documentary that was on ESPN last year
Part of the 30 for 30 series? I'll give that a watch.

I've just rewatched Stop at Nothing and plan to watch Icarus this week at some point.

See Tom Dumoulin has taken unpaid leave from Jumbo to focus on his mental health by all accounts, hope he's OK.

OP
northender2

northender2

Forum Patron
Patron

I've just rewatched Stop at Nothing and plan to watch Icarus this week at some point.

See Tom Dumoulin has taken unpaid leave from Jumbo to focus on his mental health by all accounts, hope he's OK.
yes, its the 30 for 30 doc that is now on i-player

The Dumoulin news was a bit of a shock, especially as he had announced the races he'd be attending this season only 24 hours earlier

portisheadpete

Forum Patron
Patron

I didnt find it particularly partisan in his favour. He comes out quite badly at and by his own admissions. It shines a lot of wider light on the hypocrisy and exploitation within the sport which I found interesting. But then Im an occasional observer only of the sport.

jcfartpants

Chief Anal Acoustician
Patron
I didnt find it particularly partisan in his favour. He comes out quite badly at and by his own admissions. It shines a lot of wider light on the hypocrisy and exploitation within the sport which I found interesting. But then Im an occasional observer only of the sport.
He very arrogant and not at all contrite. As Northender 2 says, he plays the victim card.

pne_monster

Advisor to the Owner

Icarus is incredible.

i do find the whole Armstrong saga distasteful, and I read David Millars “The racer“ last year and that shows how widespread doping was.

Scrubdog

Manager
Drugs in sport, now there's a subject for a lengthy discussion.

I have watched pro cycling since I was teenager, what bit we could get, and taking drugs has always been there. It wasn't illegal to take drugs in days gone by, the only thing a rider couldn't do was carry water...wtf.

These were the days when pro footballers would have a cortisone injection in their knee before going out to play, that was deemed ok. Is that cheating?

What gets me about Armstrong, a horrible bully aside, is that he was an incredible rider and if none of the peleton took drugs chances are he would win anyway. Who knows.

Check out Tom Simpsons book 'Put me back on my Bike', an incredible read.

OP
northender2

northender2

Forum Patron
Patron
surprise winner at Milan san Remo today in Jasper Stuyven, but 300km in just over 6h 30m is ridiculous speeds!

reading reports that Roubaix is in doubt again due to France going back into lockdown, really hope they can get it on this year, by far the best monument of the season and looking forward to seeing the first womens race

Snicky

Thorium Indium Potassium
Patron
surprise winner at Milan san Remo today in Jasper Stuyven, but 300km in just over 6h 30m is ridiculous speeds!

reading reports that Roubaix is in doubt again due to France going back into lockdown, really hope they can get it on this year, by far the best monument of the season and looking forward to seeing the first womens race
Loved watching today, cracking finish.
Fingers crossed Paris Roubaix happens.

ben damph

Forum Patron
Patron

UCI says there is a slot in October if it can't happen in April. Fingers crossed for April and rain!