PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Darren Ferguson Q&A Tonight

From what I can remember:

On the defence - When concerns were raised about number of goals being shipped in, he said it hasn't been all that bad - single goal defeats to Sheffield Utd and Norwich and a clean sheet against Portsmouth. Feels our biggest problems have been preventing players running at us and dealing with set plays. We have been/are working on this in training. We look at how the opponents set up and at all set plays everyone is detailed a man to mark. Feels we haven't had a settled partnership in defence since he came here, but sounds very much like he sees St. Ledger and Brown as his first choice pairing. Asked about Lonergan not commanding his area, but didn't really get drawn on that, saying he was a good keeper.

Of the players he has let go/listed - He was asked about Nolan - said he was allowed out on loan for 2 reasons - firstly that he thought he had a left back lined up to come in and also because he doesn't feel Nolan is good enough. In an ideal world he would have brought another left back in, but with the finances as they are and with Jones able to cover, he won't be doing. If Davidson was to get injured (should be fit for Saturday) then he would have to look at the loan market. Mawene wasn't fit enough to play 3 games in a week and there were question marks over his fitness generally, so didn't warrant being offereda longer contract. Sent Trottman on loan last year as he was getting over an "horrendous" injury and needed games. Was involved with the first team in pre-season but is out of the picture due to "a bad attitude". Wallace went because we got "a lot of money" for him and he was on big wages due to having signed for a low fee - basically a financial decision. Kept Chris Brown over Mellor because he feels he "offers more" and Mellor was on big wages. Seemed reluctant to critisise Chaplow. When he first came to the club and knew he had CHaplow he was pleased because he can be a "quality" player. Felt his form was poor last season and knowing the personnel he has in midfield, felt he was surplus to requirements. Surprised he hasn't has a single inquiry as he thought Chaplow would be the first to get another club. Said he has never told Chaplow he will not play for the club again but confirmed he is training with the kids. Seemed a bit strange to me, possibly a bit of back tracking?

On the midfield he said he felt Barton, Coutts and James were our strongest choice (suggests he's wanting to play 3 central more than 2). Feels Barton is an outstanding prospect and will definitely play in the Premiership. Denied Bolton are in for Barton and that he isn't for sale. Also said at times on Saturday that Barton was carrying us (said Russell was poor on Saturday).

Described out league position as "embarrassing" and Saturday was very poor. Felt the Burnley game had an affect on us for the Forest game (we didn't keep the ball well enough), but had no bearing, "no excuse" for the Norwich performance. When asked about the psychological side of things, he said he felt there is a case to be made. Cited the Swansea game as an example, were we were the better side up until they scored, then we started looking very fragile. Has considered using a sports pyschologist.

Hume was described as a player who can play left, right and up front and will give us options. Barnsley can recall him after 42 days. He needs fitness and "a good weeks training". Feels he needs a fresh start after injury he suffered.

Asked about St. Ledger playing in front of the defence. Said he had given thought to it and tried it in pre-season. Joked that knowing St.Ledger, he'd have a couple of good games and start thinking he was Maradona. Said really he wanted St. Ledger in defence to build a partnership with Brown. Feels St. Ledger didn't play well when he returned from Middlesbrough, but has improved this season. Thinks well get the best out of him playing with Brown, who is vocal, an organiser and will be dominant in the air. Feels this is the type of player suited to partnering St. Ledger, as his best form has come playing alongside these type of defenders (cited Mawene as an example).

When he took the job he wasn't aware of how bad our finances were, but then he didn't come because he was promised 5 or 6 million to spend, but chose to come to us over other offers because we're an excellent club. Said it has been a learning curve - at Peterborough he was able to build the club up, whereas here he walked into an established Championship club. Suggested he may have tried changing too many things at the start, which didn't please some people and suggested that there are more egos the further up the footballing ladder. Also said he felt our style of play when he arrived was "boring" and lacking attacking play.

On training, Russell and Unsworth take training (apart from tactical stuff). Described Shaw and The Lindsay as "chalk and cheese", he hasn't spoken to Hemmings for 4 or 5 months as he deals with the chairman, Barry Fry is "mental" and when asked about Steve Claridge as a pundit (why the fuck would you want Ferguson's opinion on him?!) suggested he had tried management and wasn't very good at it, which he should consider when critisising others.

Apologies for spelling/grammatical errors, I was too busy trying to remember stuff

Okaaaay...........so how many times have you tackled PNE chairmen/managers at forums or meetings then, big man?

You are wasting your breath with this one (PNE4LIFE) DP7, thick as fuck keyboard warrior with a yellow stripe a mile wide running down his back who would probably piss his pants if asked a direct question by one of the board/management.

Any chance of answering the questions regarding Paul Mckenna on the 'second chance' thread, post no. 20?

Already answered over several years, big man. If you're that interested, check out previous posts because I can't be arsed repeating myself to a clueless cunt like you.

Cheers.

Wants a settled back four, something he hasnt had since arrival.

All in all DF comes across as a very positive guy, he didnt get an easy ride, he speaks well and is clear in what he wants, the football under Irvine was boring and he wants to play attractive football, we havent converted our chances and its creating a confidence issue. The guy needs a break IMHO, we need a win to get things going

He's got to be positive in our current league position. I honestly think the Burnley defeat has knocked the stuffing out of the players and we have got to snap out of it. I mean you can't argue that if we had managed to win that game, after playing some of the best football we've seen in ages, then we would probably have kicked on.

Sadly for us and for the manager, not only did we grab defeat from the jaws of victory, but 2 of our best players got injured, along with Coutts making his injury worse. Take those 3 out of an already fragile team and Fergusons plans are completely scuppered. Yes Coutts has been playing on, but if we had the players to take his place then he would surely have been rested.

I honestly feel some sympathy for the bloke (Ferguson). Just as it looked like we were turning the corner, the rug is whipped away from under his feet.

On such fine lines Football teams can rise or fall and players and managers succeed or fail. Lets hope for everyones sake that we can somehow turn this round... and quickly.

Last edited:
You are wasting your breath with this one (PNE4LIFE) DP7, thick as fuck keyboard warrior with a yellow stripe a mile wide running down his back who would probably piss his pants if asked a direct question by one of the board/management.

Says the man with 4663 post to his name to the man who'll have over 12000 in the next day or two!

Keyboard warriors? -You most certainly are!

I'd be gutted if Darren was sacked. He's everything I'd want in a Preston manager, has a good eye for a player, wants the youth set-up to be successful, wants to play good attacking football and his dad is Alex Ferguson which has got to help. I don't feel he is a good defensive coach but I feel this is equally Unsworth's fault. I'm like every other fan, results just haven't been good enough but I feel when everyone is fit, you just look at the team it's young, exciting and it's got a hell of a lot of potential.

Yeah! But I'm Not - I'm just a browser on here but every now and again some pleb makes me want to comment.
Congratulations!

Heysham, good stuff, did he get tackled on our lack of goals?

Not that I can remember but, did mention that losing King had affected us, as it took away pace from the front line. He also made a comment along the lines that if anyone wants to give him £5m for a pacy goalscorer, he'll go and buy one.