PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Data leak?

Regardless

-
Patron
This morning, when I logged on (on a Mac), I got a message that said something like "This password appears to have been part of a data leak. This puts you account at high risk of compromise. Do you want Safari to help you change your password for pne-online?"

Unfortunately, I forgot to screenshot it before it was too late. I've never seen this message before. It looked absolutely genuine. Anyway, I declined the offer, but went to my pne-online account and changed the password in the normal way.

Has anyone else seen this message?

Get them quite often with Apple devices where I have years of old passwords stored on sites I may not use. It's not that the password from "here" has been leaked it's the fact that the password you use here i.e. the actual password rather than your username/password combination, is in a list of "hacked" passwords being sold/passed around the web. Just means brute force attacks where they use billions of email addresses and password combinations to try and get a match on various sites has a slightly higher chance of succeeding. If you've changed it that risk is gone(unless your new password is also in a list!)

You can also check sites like https://haveibeenpwned.com/ to check your email addresses and what, if any leaks they have been found in

Get them quite often with Apple devices where I have years of old passwords stored on sites I may not use. It's not that the password from "here" has been leaked it's the fact that the password you use here i.e. the actual password rather than your username/password combination, is in a list of "hacked" passwords being sold/passed around the web. Just means brute force attacks where they use billions of email addresses and password combinations to try and get a match on various sites has a slightly higher chance of succeeding. If you've changed it that risk is gone(unless your new password is also in a list!)

You can also check sites like https://haveibeenpwned.com/ to check your email addresses and what, if any leaks they have been found in
Very cunning @jakehake but you'll have to get up earlier to fool me. There's no way I'm clicking on your link so you can swipe my details!! 😯

Thanks Jake, that's reassuring - I was concerned that preach might have been tying to post under my name.

I did just go to that site... and checked 3 email addresses... Two were fine, but my main one gave the result in the screenshot below. I have the impression it's not a really big deal. Would you tend to agree?

1633941916170.png
1633941971355.png

Thanks Jake, that's reassuring - I was concerned that preach might have been tying to post under my name.

I did just go to that site... and checked 3 email addresses... Two were fine, but my main one gave the result in the screenshot below. I have the impression it's not a really big deal. Would you tend to agree?

View attachment 4887
View attachment 4888

If you can have a rough guess what your email address was with the password combination on that site would have been then I guess at best you can make an educated guess if you think you use that combination on other sites (from memory Disqus is like a forum type stuff that is used from comments on a host of different blogs/websites isn't it?). And if you had linked via a social media account probably even less of a worry.

Just checked again and 1 of mine was in the same breach and again never felt I've had anything to worry about, up to 13 breaches on one address now which is quite good going

So many places have been compromised - Visa, British Airways, Facebook, LinkedIn, Paypal.

And most people are guilty of using poor online security, often using the same password for dozens of websites. It's likely your email address will appear in pwned

Something like www.lastpass.com is worth considering. Just needs one master password, after that it creates (and saves) horrible nasty passwords for every account. You access it through a browser plugin or App.

This morning, when I logged on (on a Mac), I got a message that said something like "This password appears to have been part of a data leak. This puts you account at high risk of compromise. Do you want Safari to help you change your password for pne-online?"

Unfortunately, I forgot to screenshot it before it was too late. I've never seen this message before. It looked absolutely genuine. Anyway, I declined the offer, but went to my pne-online account and changed the password in the normal way.

Has anyone else seen this message?
Sounds like a power supply issue, could be the fuse or a loose circuit, worse case completely frazzled main processor.

When it comes to tech I'm the dogz bollox pal, regardless always comes to me for stuff above his pay packet.

I was wondering where you had been. Assumed you where helping Mr. Zuckerberg out then?

Remember when Islamic fundamentalists took control of the site that time?
Oh yeah, I remember that …… about 5 years ago if my my memory serves me right !!

It was proper weird for a few hours….
More like 15 years Ando.

The forum had to be totally rebuilt after that incident and started from scratch.

We have a record of every post ever since

More like 15 years Ando.

The forum had to be totally rebuilt after that incident and started from scratch.

We have a record of every post ever since
Wow John, my memory didn’t serve me right !!!

15 years ago, can’t believe that..