PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

David Aspden missing.

This all day long. Recently had experience of this with a work associate. He went through 18 months of hell only for a jury to decide in his favour in under an hour. Not sure if he will ever recover from that amount of stress or if in some peoples minds he'll ever be 100% innocent. That's the nature of this kind of accusation. A horrible situation for all concerned.

I agree. If he is innocent and ends up doing something daft, then the accusers will have to live with that. No one should be named till a verdict is reached.

First of all, I hope that the lad is found safe and sound ...

After that, lets leave it to the justice system !

I ran a junior football team for 10 years from 1992-2001 and at the time, I didn't realise the dangerous position that you are putting yourself in potentially...

I often gave lads a lift home from training on their own if their parents weren't available and there were always occasions were I would be in the changing rooms with just one or two lads...... I never ever gave a thought to what they might accuse me of, but I would seriously think twice about taking on that role again in modern times !!!

First of all, I hope that the lad is found safe and sound ...

After that, lets leave it to the justice system !

I ran a junior football team for 10 years from 1992-2001 and at the time, I didn't realise the dangerous position that you are putting yourself in potentially...

I often gave lads a lift home from training on their own if their parents weren't available and there were always occasions were I would be in the changing rooms with just one or two lads...... I never ever gave a thought to what they might accuse me of, but I would seriously think twice about taking on that role again in modern times !!!

The times as a goalkeeping coach I was asked for 1:1 training / coaching were many - mainly by parents - the tragedy is I always had to politely refuse as that is simply the rules to abide by
It felt awful but this is the world we live in and the nly way I coul reconcile the uncomfortable feeling was the hope that such a rigorous system should stop people of a certain nature abusing it ??

The times as a goalkeeping coach I was asked for 1:1 training / coaching were many - mainly by parents - the tragedy is I always had to politely refuse as that is simply the rules to abide by
It felt awful but this is the world we live in and the nly way I coul reconcile the uncomfortable feeling was the hope that such a rigorous system should stop people of a certain nature abusing it ??

My daughter will only do 1 to 1 if parents are staying.

Which team Ando?

I played for Cadley from 92/93 onwards.

Not really referring to you or this thread or forum. I’m just against putting the names of people accused of sexual offences in the public domain until proven guilty. Mud sticks and all that.

Often in cases like this, like a previously mentioned case that was discussed on here, the fact the names are published after being charged helps to bring other potential victims to the authorities. By doing this the Police can build a case using patterns of behavior by the offender, especially if those patterns are from people who have no knowledge of each other.

We would agree, as in the Cliff Richard case, that naming should not happen until formal charges have been made.

I was not allowed to at all

Only one condition - another coach had to be there

I say this because I care - I realise that having a parent(s) there seems totally natural but it still leaves some potential exposure ?

In my opinion, that rule is a massive over reaction.

How could that situation possibly leave you vulnerable, unless you're prepared to imagine an infinitesimally unlikely scenario?!

I was not allowed to at all

Only one condition - another coach had to be there

I say this because I care - I realise that having a parent(s) there seems totally natural but it still leaves some potential exposure ?

I see no problem whatever if a parent or guardian is present.

Really sad reading this.

Innocent till proven guilty doesn’t seem to be the case anymore.

Totally wrong to name this fella until the case has taken place.

As someone has pointed out he could be found totally innocent but had to go through hell first for no reason.

It’s wrong.

Because, unfortunately some people (parents included) can, and do, make stuff up at the detriment of others to further their own causes.

I agree with Edgy here as a former teacher and football coach I would never share a lift or have only one child around. Even if it was with a parent. The only time I went against that rule was when I was managing a school trip and one student was left, but another parent (also a teacher at another school)) and their child stayed with me until the remainibg child's parent came to pick up their daughter.

In this day and age it isn't just your career, but your reputation.

Hopefully he will be found safe and well and he can then stand trial as he should do.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Because, unfortunately some people (parents included) can, and do, make stuff up at the detriment of others to further their own causes.

I agree with Edgy here as a former teacher and football coach I would never share a lift or have only one child around. Even if it was with a parent. The only time I went against that rule was when I was managing a school trip and one student was left, but another parent (also a teacher at another school)) and their child stayed with me until the remainibg child's parent came to pick up their daughter.

In this day and age it isn't just your career, but your reputation.

Hopefully he will be found safe and well and he can then stand trial as he should do.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
We agree.

Often in cases like this, like a previously mentioned case that was discussed on here, the fact the names are published after being charged helps to bring other potential victims to the authorities. By doing this the Police can build a case using patterns of behavior by the offender, especially if those patterns are from people who have no knowledge of each other.

We would agree, as in the Cliff Richard case, that naming should not happen until formal charges have been made.

I understand this, and this is why the cliff Richard case was on the10 o clock news. They hoped others would come forward. They didnt. At least not any credible ones.

I’m afraid though the word “ often” is not enough for me. It is another word for “sometimes” which also means “ sometimes not “. So sometimes you, or someone you love, might be in the local papers and all over over social media accused of sexual crimes when they are innocent. End of normal life.

And ps. I’m not referring to this case. I know Nothing of it or the individuals concerned.

Last edited:
I understand this, and this is why the cliff Richard case was on the10 o clock news. They hoped others would come forward. They didnt. At least not any credible ones.

I’m afraid though the word “ often” is not enough for me. It is another word for “sometimes” which also means “ sometimes not “. So sometimes you, or someone you love, might be in the local papers and all over over social media accused of sexual crimes when they are innocent. End of normal life.

And ps. I’m not referring to this case. I know Nothing of it or the individuals concerned.
how about if someone you love was a victim of abuse. You knew it was the truth, yet it needed credence from as much information as possible?

I can see both sides of this argument.

As above I hope he is found safe and well and the truth is found during his trial.

how about if someone you love was a victim of abuse. You knew it was the truth, yet it needed credence from as much information as possible?

As above I hope he is found safe and well and the truth is found during his trial.

We all hope that, though I’m not commenting on this individual case.

If someone I loved was a victim of sexual abuse then I would have to have faith in the system for finding them guilty. I just don’t believe that people accused of sexual crimes should have their names in the public domain until they are proven guilty. If that means one guilty person gets away with with it but one innocent person who was falsely accused is not named, then that is the price of our justice system.

Then by publicising their alleged crime or guilt you would run the risk of any future trial collapsing and the accused walking away Scott free
Trial by social media and individuals digital footprints can be very dangerous paths to tread
As Chorley says we should put trust in the legal system. It's not perfect but it's the envy of the world

Then by publicising their alleged crime or guilt you would run the risk of any future trial collapsing and the accused walking away Scott free
As Chorley says we should put trust in the legal system. It's not perfect but it's the envy of the world

I know this particular one is an alleged sex crime but isnt this what happens with all crimes? Once a person has been charged with an offencetheir name is published and out in the public domain.

I dont think its about publishing their guilt because even when someone is charged they still remain innocent until the Judicial process has been gone through.

I know this particular one is an alleged sex crime but isnt this what happens with all crimes? Once a person has been charged with an offencetheir name is published and out in the public domain.

I dont think its about publishing their guilt because even when someone is charged they still remain innocent until the Judicial process has been gone through.

It may be in the public domain but it's fair to say that we've all seen kangaroo courts led by social media
The fact that name is revealed doesn't mean it's ok to then further publicise allegations or rumours
The solution I feel is to simply not publicise but then the risk is others who may have been affected may not come forward (sic saville)
It's a very difficult situation hence I am happy for those that have studied and practiced the law to determine the best route