David Nugent

Nugent different gravy tonight,

he may not have the legs of Maguire or the height of storey or the pace of Barky.

however when he plays he holds the ball up, he links our game up, he wins or at least challenges better for 90% of headers, his control, touch and vision is better than most of our strikers too.

needs to play more minutes.....hes our best striker at the moment in terms of overall package

Stanleyy

Forum Patron
Patron
For what it's worth, I think the Nuge-agent is best left for the last 15-20 minutes, when players are getting tired and frustrated. He may no longer have the speed or the stamina that he once had, but the does have the guile. And he hustles endlessly, as he showed to great effect tonight. We all know we don't have the high-priced strikers that many of our competitors have, but I believe AN knows how to play to our strengths and, barring injuries to key players (Rudd!), I think we're capable of making a go of it. I also think that AN's strategy goes well beyond the on the surface tactics we all talk about and that there's a lot of 'professionalism' drilled into the players. We do what we have to with a budget such as ours and with less than a third of the season to go we're three points off automatic. Anyway, COYW, always hoping!

Preston1880

Ratbag
Patron
Still an absolutely fantastic forward player.

He was good when he came on last night, but his cameo against Barnsley the other week was phenomenal.

Reminds me of Garner when he leaps through the air with those flick ons.

djwoody

First Team
I don't understand this "he can only do 30 mins" stuff. Do you think he only does a third of the training? A third of the warm up? He was superb at Leeds (and decent against them at home), really good against Fulham, but had a poor game on new year's day and then was barely selected till last night. Again, made a huge difference last night. He's a class above the other strikers in the squad and should be on the pitch more.

Realistic

First Team
I don't understand this "he can only do 30 mins" stuff. Do you think he only does a third of the training? A third of the warm up? He was superb at Leeds (and decent against them at home), really good against Fulham, but had a poor game on new year's day and then was barely selected till last night. Again, made a huge difference last night. He's a class above the other strikers in the squad and should be on the pitch more.
I'd say he's a shrewder/craftier striker than some of the others, not a class above. Think there's more to come from Nuge, at least I'm hoping so.

LancasterRed

Trevor Hemmings Superfan
Patron
Agree he needs to score more but the job of a striker is to be in a goalscoring team and bury any good chances. We scored 2 under Nugent last night and he didn't get a goal or assist (Davies got both assists) and that's enough to get a start on Saturday for me.

If he can take responsibility when we're struggling and stick away a few half chances that'll be enough as long as we keep winning.

theblackprince

First Team
Nugent must start on Sat, the way he runs and puts pressure on the defenders is a must.
He may have only scored once, but he makes good runs similar to Hugill, he chases into the corners and stretches the defence, thus making space.
He works hard for the team and a good run in the team would surely pay dividends!
Could we possibly pick 6 points up from Hull and Millwall?
I hope so, we owe Hull one and Millwall is like a 6pointer, so 2 wins and then 2 top of the table games v WBA and Fulham, can’t wait!! COYW!!

Barrington Horne

First Team
It’s a head fuck! Nugent, Maguire and Stockley all seem to be better when they come on in cameo roles, i.e last 20/30 minutes.
I’ve spent that much time trying to solve the striker conundrum in my own head over the last few months that I’ve stopped and I just have some alcohol and trust in Mr Neil.

portisheadpete

Advisor to the Owner
Its great to have a wealth of players throughout the squad who love being at the club such as Nugent. That heart could see us through this season. Not to be underestimated.

I think he still has plenty in his locker. I am happy for him to train well, stay fit, come on for the last 20-30 mins of a game making the impact he did last night. I think managed well he will be one of our most important players in the last half a dozen games or so. His sort of experience will be invaluable in a serious promotion push.

pnewortham

Forum Patron
Patron
I have this mental image he's the kind of player who puts whoopie cushions under Alex Neil's chair, and lets Pearo's tyres down in the car park, just to get everyone pissing themselves in the changing rooms.

Oh, and that they all call him grandad.

Muzza

Manager
This. Lampard raved about him and everything he offers to the team, something which so many cynics failed to recognise when he signed. Very happy with him so far, can't deny it would be nice to see him chip in with a couple...!
Exactly this. People talk about him not scoring much, but he stretches the defence and brings teammates into play. It's just as important providing a foil for other players to score as it is scoring yourself.