Deepdale Railway Station

pnewortham

Forum Patron
Patron
One for you to look up pal.... Didn't those same coal trains go across the line that went across strand road?... I may have the wrong line , a lot earlier and I may have gone senile :D but I'm sure I remember a railway crossing on strand road in my youth... It was at the top end towards penny home bridge.
My car's been stopped there a few times over the years, at that Nissan crossing. The train to the bitumen plant used to go 3 times a week. Not sure these days.

Also - the docks steam train runs up & down that line but it stops at the crossing.

We once took the kids on the Santa Express and they cried at the sweaty old fat man trying to give them presents.

outreacher

Respect Nature
Patron
Wasn’t Deepdale station on Deepdale Road, with the entrance around the bridge just past the infirmary if driving from town?

Just spent a couple of hours down memory lane researching the Longridge Line, looking at maps and reading different historical references, the nostalgia almost brought tears to my eyes. When I was a teenager, along with my mates we used to walk from 'Little Brookfield', along the line to St Pauls Rd, then up to Sedgewick St, to nick a few bottles of beer off the lorries parked up outside the Brewery (sorry beer lorry), I wasn't really a crook, teenage pranks),

At the end of Fletcher Rd stretch was the National Coal Board with the rail sidings, and a bit further on (not sure if it was Deepdale St), was Deepdale Station (you was right) it was still open, dropping off fans from Longridge up until 1970 (according to the info I read).

Glad I cleared that up for myself. Looking at the maps and photos the nostalgia was quite powerful, I loved those days in my teens in Preston, nothing was complicated, everything was simple and fun, football on the park till dark, trekking over the hills and hollows, life was quite simple in comparison to today.

Time trip over for today...

northender0602

Forum Patron
Patron
I can't remember the layout of Preston St's much, but on the line itself, the station was just before St Pauls Rd, how far is that from Deepdale Mill St, Deepdale Rd?

Or Deepdale Mill St could have been where the sidings were, near to the coal Board, it's a long way back.

Now I am getting really confused, seeing the post below, got a feeling the Coal Board was further down the line.
Wasn’t the coal board skeffy road side of Deepdale road ? Just behind the houses on Deepdale road and between Deepdale mill street and Fletcher Road, think irs was where Gafoor Poultry is now?

Sid Snot

Manager - East Cheam FC
Patron
My car's been stopped there a few times over the years, at that Nissan crossing. The train to the bitumen plant used to go 3 times a week. Not sure these days.

Also - the docks steam train runs up & down that line but it stops at the crossing.

We once took the kids on the Santa Express and they cried at the sweaty old fat man trying to give them presents.

Ridsdale moonlighting on't docks as well?

Meldrew's Ghost

Advisor to the Owner

Didn't they know it was you? 🤣

outreacher

Respect Nature
Patron
I need to edit my post above about Deepdale station being open in 1970.
At the end of Fletcher Rd stretch was the National Coal Board with the rail sidings, and a bit further on (not sure if it was Deepdale St), was Deepdale Station (you was right) it was still open, dropping off fans from Longridge up until 1970 (according to the info I read).
Re-reading this, I passed that station many times along the tracks in the late 50's and mid 60's, and I am sure it was closed even boarded up. I I think the information was still used in 1970 is a load of bollocks, I have seen it stated twice that the station was used for football fans up until 1970, and that can't be right? This below from wiki, and I read it elsewhere in an article.
The station, along with others on the line, closed to regular passenger services on 31 May 1930. The last passenger trains to use Deepdale station were 1970s football supporters' specials bringing away fans to Deepdale Stadium to watch a football match. This was done to keep visiting supporters away from the town centre before and after the match. Link here
Apologies if my info is wrong, wouldn't want anyone quoting me on some info that is probably incorrect.

Sid Snot

Manager - East Cheam FC
Patron
Re-reading this, I passed that station many times along the tracks in the late 50's and mid 60's, and I am sure it was closed even boarded up.

As far as I remember it was bricked up in the 60s and never used for football specials.

QVNIMTE2ODQ3OTAy.jpg

outreacher

Respect Nature
Patron
As far as I remember it was bricked up in the 60s and never used for football specials.

QVNIMTE2ODQ3OTAy.jpg
Thanks for that Sid, was replaying the images of the abandoned station and questioning my mental images. I do recall it was spooky as was all the line the closer you got to the 'Miley'....

"But there was something else in the tunnel with them now, something altogether different and dreadful"😱
A.J.Hartley - Cold Bath Street.

Sid Snot

Manager - East Cheam FC
Patron
Thanks for that Sid, was replaying the images of the abandoned station and questioning my mental images. I do recall it was spooky as was all the line the closer you got to the 'Miley'....

"But there was something else in the tunnel with them now, something altogether different and dreadful"😱
A.J.Hartley - Cold Bath Street.

It was a haunted supermarket trolley...

miley1-596x397.jpg

Why anybody would consider buying groceries in a railway tunnel is beyond my comprehension.

Sid Snot

Manager - East Cheam FC
Patron
That's an amazing image, I can't remember the station from the entrance only from down below on the track.

Just to try and add a bit of perspective, the advertising board to the left of the first bricked up arch has a logo at the top left. As far as I'm aware this is the first 'edition' of the 'Intercity' logo. This logo was introduced in 1965. British Railways were rebranding operations as the working lives of steam locomotives would be finished in August 1968.

outreacher

Respect Nature
Patron
Just to try and add a bit of perspective, the advertising board to the left of the first bricked up arch has a logo at the top left. As far as I'm aware this is the first 'edition' of the 'Intercity' logo. This logo was introduced in 1965. British Railways were rebranding operations as the working lives of steam locomotives would be finished in August 1968.

Had to get my Sherlock Glass out for that Sid, roll on my eye op....does that mean Preston the first yet again in progeressive logos.:)

TSR2

Advisor to the Owner

QVNIMTE2ODQ3OTAy.jpg
Cracking find Sid, two things about this photo, this is the spot on the bridge were the PC witnessed the hand grabbing of the tragic fatal event of the young girl being pulled between the platform and the train, and also the PNE Panther the firm in the 60s/70s.