PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Defence

Mancunian White

Scouse now, actually.
Patron
At the start of last season our defence was among the best in the country with only United letting in fewer goals. Obviously we're hoping to replicate that success in August but who do we go with? The fullbacks arguably pick themselves but there'll be some in favour of Earl and others for Hughes. Fisher is first name in the team sheet.

So who goes in the middle? I think Davies is important for his ball playing skill, but Clarke and Huntington are probably better outright defenders at the moment. Huntington was magnificent over the last season so has to stay really, but Clarke is our captain. I'm getting a headache trying to decide.

So what do we think?

Clarke and Huntington?
Clarke and Davies?
Davies and Huntington?
Storey and Boyle? ;)

If Davies replicates his first half of last season form then him and hunts all day long. Davies dropped off towards the end last year which could have been fatigue and Clarke did a good job of stepping in but imo Clarke is 3rd choice and should be Davies and Hunts starting.

Earl doesn’t look fit yet after having that knock and missing pre-season games. Hughes surely starts.

I’d be shocked if it wasn’t Fisher, Hunts, Davies and Hughes.

With injuries and suspensions we now have good cover.

Just leave it for AN to decide, don’t worry.

With injuries and suspensions we now have good cover.

Just leave it for AN to decide, don’t worry.

We may as well not bother debating or discussing anything team related then.

I think it'll be Fisher - Hunts - Davies - Hughes

This offers the better balance, 3 of those played many games together last season and Hunts is far better playing on the right of the CBs. If Clarke plays then Hunts would need to switch to the left which isn't ideal.

Hughes has look far ahead of Earl but of course Earl has missed a fair chunk of pre season.

The other key question is of course the goalkeeper. I thought, and probably still do think he will go for Rudd, but it's very close and probably the first time in a while there's a tough decision to be made for game 1.

Maxwell

Fisher - Huntington - Davies - Hughes

That would be my back 5.

Our CB pairing for me is one of the best in the league, class, experience, youth and heart.

With in front of them:

Pearson, Browne

Robinson, Harrop, Barkhuizen

Maguire

Bodin might have pipped Robinson had he been available. I can't see that we can do better than that with existing resources. While I can see the value of Browne in the 3 and don't discount that as an option I think we need more creativity further forward if we want to open up teams at our place.

With in front of them:

Pearson, Browne

Robinson, Harrop, Barkhuizen

Maguire

Bodin might have pipped Robinson had he been available. I can't see that we can do better than that with existing resources. While I can see the value of Browne in the 3 and don't discount that as an option I think we need more creativity further forward if we want to open up teams at our place.

Robinson hasn’t/ probably won’t feature on the right hand side for us. Very effective off the left cutting into dangerous areas.

As it stands this is what I’d consider our strongest team:

Maxwell

Fisher
Huntington
Davies
Hughes

Pearson
Browne

Bodin
Harrop
Robinson

Maguire

(I know Bodin is banned for QPR). I’d like to see this front 4 on a regular basis as technically I think they’re all very good and would be able to score fairly freely - I expect us to score a lot more this season.

Bodin
Harrop
Robinson

Maguire

(I know Bodin is banned for QPR). I’d like to see this front 4 on a regular basis as technically I think they’re all very good and would be able to score fairly freely - I expect us to score a lot more this season.

If he is fit and fired up I would prefer Barkhuizen over either of Bodin or Robinson. This idea that he can only be effective hitting the opposition on the break in away games if false - he can be just as destructive in home games.

If he is fit and fired up I would prefer Barkhuizen over either of Bodin or Robinson. This idea that he can only be effective hitting the opposition on the break in away games if false - he can be just as destructive in home games.

He scored 7 times away from Deepdale and just 1 time at Deepdale last season, it’s not false. In certain games of course he’ll be a good asset to use at home but in my opinion, a more creative player like Bodin should be used more often. Think Bodin will be a big player for us this season.

I like Barkhuizen home AND away, but the stats are inarguable.

Bodin definitely has slightly more technique and trickery in the box against tight defences whereas Barkhuizen obliterates teams with pace on the break. They may complement each other well.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

I like Barkhuizen home AND away, but the stats are inarguable.

Bodin definitely has slightly more technique and trickery in the box against tight defences whereas Barkhuizen obliterates teams with pace on the break. They may complement each other well.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

From the little ive seen of Bodin I'm impressed but lets see who comes out of the blocks fighting next season :) I'll even give Robinson a chance ;)

I'd go for :-

Maxwell

Small forest; Clarke; Storey; Earl

Gally; Ledson; Burke;

Bodin; Moult; Horgan.....

sub: DJ

Obviously this is the team for Morecambe on the Tuesday, using those who didnt start v QPR.