PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Defunct grounds

Wigan Athletic, Scunthorpe United, Walsall, Chesterfield, Chester, Rotherham United, Wembley, Huddersfield Town, Shrewsbury Town, Wembley... do Wigan RL, St Helens RL, Widnes RL, Swinton RL, Salford RL, Leigh RL, Runcorn RL count ?

Twickenham before it was done up ?

Griffin Park and Highfield Road Ernie - all that red wine plays havoc with your memory you know.

As I recounted the other day I can still remember the look on Brian Godfrey's face as he lined up to take the penalty against Northampton in the first match of the 66-67 season - those are the important things not the names of other clubs' grounds. I also forgot the ground that outreacher mentioned - Oxford United's old Manor Ground. I didn't actually go there till David Moyes' time as manager. The match that outreacher mentions was the FA Cup 6th Round in 64 when we won 2-1 - I actually listened to the radio commentary of that back in Preston. Gosh was there a time we actually won FA Cup matches - it seems there was:

It was a bummer when that happened … I went to Cambridge on Mercer’s once and we got there about 3-15pm after loads of people asked the driver to stop for a wee break.

A 6 hour journey and we ended up missing the first 15 minutes..
We went midweek once to Cambridge - on Mercers - and the driver got lost on the way back. Landed home at 4am and in work for 6am!!

Here's a few I've visited
Springfield Park - Wigan
Burnden Park - Bolton
The Old Show Ground - Scunthorpe
Sealand Road - Chester
Leeds Road - Huddersfield
Fellows Park - Walsall
Roker Park - Sunderland
Wembley
Ayresome Park - Middlesboro
Belle Vue - Doncaster
The Feethams - Darlington
White Hart Lane - Spurs
Highbury - Arsenal

You and I were in the same ground on the same day 👍

Stuart Beavon's dad played for Oxford that day as did 'Big Ron'.

Are we old?

I think that 'Big Ron' is the Oxford captain shaking hands with the great Nobby Lawton at the beginning of the film clip I posted but it is difficult to recognise him without his jewelry.

Elm Park (won 3-2 from 2-0 down IIRC) and the Goldstone (5-1 defeat not great). And Shawfield (Clyde) in a 1977 pre-season friendly with the greyhound track round the pitch.

Burden Park
Belle Vue
Roker Park
Highbury
Withdean Stadium
Ninian Park
Saltergate
Layer Road
Highfield Road
Maine Road
National Hockey Stadium
Manor Ground
Millmoor
Victoria Park
Vetchfield
McCain Stadium
Springfield Park
Bootham Crescent
Lordy. Been to half of those.
Showing age.

Burden Park
Belle Vue
Roker Park
Highbury
Withdean Stadium
Ninian Park
Saltergate
Layer Road
Highfield Road
Maine Road
National Hockey Stadium
Manor Ground
Millmoor
Victoria Park
Vetchfield
McCain Stadium
Springfield Park
Bootham Crescent
Who's ground is Belle Vue?

Doncaster ROvers

The Den

One of the owners set fire to it to claim the insurance money. Kerry Dixon was the manager at the time and not doing a bad job.

Ah ok - There's a Belle Due near me which is Rugby League's Wakefield Trinity's ground. I went there a few years ago and saw one of those North End Soul stickers so thought it might have been that.
Not sure who put that sticker there though!

I remember that. I think it was a week or so after we'd played them there in what was the old fourth division.

They very nearly ceased to exist after that and the owner did time for it.

I went to the Goldstone Ground in 1977 on a special train… we lost 2-0.

The locals weren’t so friendly , they tossed a big slab of concrete into the middle of the 500 Nobbers during the first half…

It was mayhem after the game as we headed back to the train station , mind you , that was the 70’s for you….

I was there too @Ando60 🤣