Derby Days

WFG too

Reserve
I'm on with a bit of a project about derby days with our Lancashire counterparts.

I'm after your feelings on such, etc. Also, if you live wedged between any of our rivals, or even in their town!

I'll go in to more details if anyone is interested on subject if you PM, ta...

Pumba

Advisor to the Owner
I’d say right now, I despise Blackburn most of all. I think it happens naturally when you’re stuck in the same league with a local rival for a while. Their fans, down to the very last one, are a deluded set of plonkers as well.

Blackpool one will always be historic but feels pretty irrelevant at the moment. We haven’t played them for ages.

Dirty Harry

Advisor to the Owner
My first away game was Bury one Easter in the late 70s. That was classed as a Lancashire Derby in those days but probably wouldn't even register now, even if Bury were still in the league. I've also always preferred Blackburn and Burnley away to Blackpool.

Mr Meeseeks

Forum Patron
Patron
I’d say right now, I despise Blackburn most of all. I think it happens naturally when you’re stuck in the same league with a local rival for a while. Their fans, down to the very last one, are a deluded set of plonkers as well.

Blackpool one will always be historic but feels pretty irrelevant at the moment. We haven’t played them for ages.
Spot on for me that at the moment too.

Blackpool will always be the main one but it was Burnley when I was growing up, Rovers were in the Prem and Blackpool in League 1, the rivalry was there but put to one side as we never played them. Some of the Derby Ding Dongs we had against the Dingles were phenomenal.

When we came up from League 1 and played Rovers, for me it was a bit of a novelty having not played them in such a long time but it’s easily become the rivalry of the moment, Wigan and Bolton didn’t even come close.

That said though if Burnley came down and/or Blackpool came up, Rovers would quickly become bottom of the list. Same could be said from Rovers fans if the Dingles came down.

Strongbow

Forum Patron
Patron
Blackburn always been big time charlie's, deluded fuckwits.

Burnley traditional rival who for a long time were very similar to us, fans pretty grounded tbh.

Blackpool, well that's were the hatred kicks in, can't even stand the colour of the fucking shirt and the fans have always been scummy hangers on.

Broad Sword

Forum Patron
Patron
My first away game was Bury one Easter in the late 70s. That was classed as a Lancashire Derby in those days but probably wouldn't even register now, even if Bury were still in the league. I've also always preferred Blackburn and Burnley away to Blackpool.

My first away game too. 1-1 draw in our promotion season.

Final Stand

Forum Patron
Patron
Didn’t like derbies in the early years of supporting North End, we always seemed to get beat, the worst being a night match against Burnley at deepdale possibly 1971, big crowd we lost 3-1, We were torn apart by I think the likes of Kindon, Casper & Thomas (maybe James although that might have been later) absolutely humiliated by them.

Walton

Forum Patron
Patron
Didn’t like derbies in the early years of supporting North End, we always seemed to get beat, the worst being a night match against Burnley at deepdale possibly 1971, big crowd we lost 3-1, We were torn apart by I think the likes of Kindon, Casper & Thomas (maybe James although that might have been later) absolutely humiliated by them.

That Steve Kindon, not a particularly flashy player but he was certainly effective.

Ando60

Hat Trick Hero
Patron
Worst derby defeat for me in the early days was Blackpool at home 1970..... we lost 3-0

Blackpool got promoted to the top division and we got relegated to the 3rd tier for the first time in our history...

The crowd at Deepdale that night was 33,000 and there were about 20,000 Blackpool fans !!!!!

Walton

Forum Patron
Patron
Oh yes, what a day that was - 1979 ??

Granada used to use it at the start of their Sunday footy highlights programme - Gerald Sinstadt et al

Do you remember the pound a throw for first goal scorer, draw the names, guess who had Alex Bruce that day. 😁

Ando60

Hat Trick Hero
Patron
My first away game was Blackpool in about 1972 and we drew 1-1....

The first “Derby” game that I went to on my own was also Bury - about 1974.

I always remember that I took my PNE silk scarf - tied around my wrist !!