PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Derby Days

Your opening line refers to 'derby days with our Lancashire counterparts'

Need to bear in mind that the 1974 Local Government Act created new local government areas not new County Palatines, the traditonal county areas and boundaries are still there (and Lancashire Day is this November). Confusion has arisen in the minds of somer (and BBC ) because unlike Yorkshire in which 3 areas kept the name some bureaucrat came up with Greater Manchester for a big chunk of Lancashire and Merseyide for the south west side (and a chunk disappeared into Cumbria). Post Office still gets it right though.

Hence a Lancashire derby should include reference to such teams as Man City (still have the red riose on their badge)< Everton, Bolton, Wigan, Oldham, etc., even Barrow (another club that still has the red rose on its badge). Need to go back in time to find some such matches..

Those tangerine bastards at the end of the M55 will always be the mortal enemy.
Never got the Blackburn or Burnley rivalry - purely B********* for me.
They sicken me to the core.

Whereabouts in Fulwood do you live ??

Blackpool have always been our main rivals and always will be...

Blackburn are just a team who bought the premier league in the 90’s and now their fans think thats where they belong , .when in truth they are a tier 2 team like us with very similar support...
Living in Hoghton the B*stards have always been the rivals and this sums their fickle fans up and I know of many more similar.
So a lad I played football with late 80s/early 90's absolutely full on Big Jack we are far superior, I have followed them all my life home and away, we are Premier League, you wil never be (did get that bit right. 😂)
Lost touch with him once I stopped playing football and did not come across him again until a few years ago through playing golf. In the pub after one round talking football and he says you won't be following North End these days will you?
Well actually yes still got a season ticket and go to a few away days, you following Rovers?
No not been since we dropped out of Premier League, I'm a Chorley fan now, Chorley doing well under that ex Rover Jansen so I go on occasionally, but my team are Liverpool????
We are in pub end of last season and scousers are on Sky, he turns up in his Liverpool top telling all who would listen what a great side Klopp had and what a massive fan he is... 🤔🙄🤣🤣

Living in Hoghton the B*stards have always been the rivals and this sums their fickle fans up and I know of many more similar.
So a lad I played football with late 80s/early 90's absolutely full on Big Jack we are far superior, I have followed them all my life home and away, we are Premier League, you wil never be (did get that bit right. 😂)
Lost touch with him once I stopped playing football and did not come across him again until a few years ago through playing golf. In the pub after one round talking football and he says you won't be following North End these days will you?
Well actually yes still got a season ticket and go to a few away days, you following Rovers?
No not been since we dropped out of Premier League, I'm a Chorley fan now, Chorley doing well under that ex Rover Jansen so I go on occasionally, but my team are Liverpool????
We are in pub end of last season and scousers are on Sky, he turns up in his Liverpool top telling all who would listen what a great side Klopp had and what a massive fan he is... 🤔🙄🤣🤣
Yeah I’ve got examples of similar and others who’ve not been on in years but say they’re Rovers. They sneer at NorthEnd In a really patronising way and their understanding of the game is limited to how much a player cost.

Yeah I’ve got examples of similar and others who’ve not been on in years but say they’re Rovers. They sneer at NorthEnd In a really patronising way and their understanding of the game is limited to how much a player cost.
I know plenty more and loads of similar stories, even from when they were in Premier League and their fickle fans with season tickets would stay in the pub rather than make the trip to Ewood to watch the game. 🙄🤔

I know plenty more and loads of similar stories, even from when they were in Premier League and their fickle fans with season tickets would stay in the pub rather than make the trip to Ewood to watch the game. 🙄🤔
What used to wind me up Wisey is when I picked up the Sunday tabloids and read the Rovers reports when they were in the Prem... at the bottom of the report there were comments from 3 or 4 Rovers fans and it was amazing the number of times it would give their address as Fulwood, Preston or Lea, Preston etc....

What used to wind me up Wisey is when I picked up the Sunday tabloids and read the Rovers reports when they were in the Prem... at the bottom of the report there were comments from 3 or 4 Rovers fans and it was amazing the number of times it would give their address as Fulwood, Preston or Lea, Preston etc....
Yes plenty jumped on the Big Jack Premier League band wagon, just as many though have long since fallen off and couldn't name a single current player let alone find Ewood. 🤣👍

I know someone who's told me he's actually had season tickets at Bolton, Blackburn and Blackpool. All when in the Premier league of course.
Was a season ticket holder at Fleetwood last time I spoke to him.🤔

and then there was their Goalkeeper - *Harry Thompson - who used to swing on the bar in a cocky arrogant way whilst the game was going on !!

*According to his obituary he was 'flamboyant and tempestuous'. He was actually a fucking nutter who tried to burn his estranged wife's house down with her inside it. In Blackpool (spit) of course. While under the influence. While still a member of the first team squad.

Your story reminded me of a fella who I knew. When I first knew him, late 80s, he was a big Liverpool fan. Early 90s he moved on to Oldham. When Oldham were relegated from the Premier, he became a Wovers fan. To be fair, unlike all the other teams he 'supported', he actually attended games.
At the end of the 90s, he ditched Wovers and got pally with a Middlesbrough fan, so that was his next club. Then a couple of years after that, another lad he knew, supported Aberdeen, so he did. Apart from Liverpool, I saw him wearing all those team's shirts. He moved away about 18 years ago, so I don't know who he follows now.

Never thought Blackpool to be the main competition Blackburn ,Burnley and Bolton for me with them being founder members.

Your story reminded me of a fella who I knew. When I first knew him, late 80s, he was a big Liverpool fan. Early 90s he moved on to Oldham. When Oldham were relegated from the Premier, he became a Wovers fan. To be fair, unlike all the other teams he 'supported', he actually attended games.
At the end of the 90s, he ditched Wovers and got pally with a Middlesbrough fan, so that was his next club. Then a couple of years after that, another lad he knew, supported Aberdeen, so he did. Apart from Liverpool, I saw him wearing all those team's shirts. He moved away about 18 years ago, so I don't know who he follows now.
Depends where he moved to Janie.... let’s hope for his sake he didn’t move to Blackpool !!

Rovers fan in peace .

Although living in Accrington, I went to the Catholic College and played in two schoolboy finals on Deepdale . Very proud when Sir Tom presented me with the Lucas Shield . He was the best of any era . My Dad who was a Burnley fan alongside lots of guys his age , whether Rovers or Burnley , were all of that opinion . They talked of Douglas , Mcllroy and Matthews , but not in the same breath as Sir Tom

Burnley is our big derby , no secret there . In the 70s when at school , for the PNE lads I mated with ( the era of Elwiss et al ) it was always Blackpool , first , second and third . They disliked Rovers , but not with the same passion

That connection means for me it’s great to be playing North End again . The first derby I remember ( too young to go ) was Rovers winning 5-3 at Deepdale , but there have been lots of others since .

Good luck this season , time you lot got to the Premier League , perhaps this season with the Rovers , watching Burnley come the other way .

Rovers fan in peace .

Although living in Accrington, I went to the Catholic College and played in two schoolboy finals on Deepdale . Very proud when Sir Tom presented me with the Lucas Shield . He was the best of any era . My Dad who was a Burnley fan alongside lots of guys his age , whether Rovers or Burnley , were all of that opinion . They talked of Douglas , Mcllroy and Matthews , but not in the same breath as Sir Tom

Burnley is our big derby , no secret there . In the 70s when at school , for the PNE lads I mated with ( the era of Elwiss et al ) it was always Blackpool , first , second and third . They disliked Rovers , but not with the same passion

That connection means for me it’s great to be playing North End again . The first derby I remember ( too young to go ) was Rovers winning 5-3 at Deepdale , but there have been lots of others since .

Good luck this season , time you lot got to the Premier League , perhaps this season with the Rovers , watching Burnley come the other way .
Agree 100%.
Apart from the bit about Wovers being promoted back to the Premier league this season.
I hope you get out of this division as well, just in the opposite direction.🤣

I think that this debate on who the biggest derby is crops up on a regular basis, the one thing that alway shines through is that there is not one definitive answer.

Where you where born and bred and what age group you are makes all the difference.

Anyone any tales of when the coffin is buried in the cellar of the Trades Halls club in Brig?

On a slightly different topic I’ve always been more interested in the “town” derby’s than the Sky Sports hype on big City derby’s. Super Sunday Liverpool v Everton and Arsenal v Spurs. They are always more intense and certainly in the past they were. I once went to a Hartlepool v Darlington game in the late 90’s mental.

Others that have been intense as our derbies and just as important to their fans could be Ipswich v Norwich, Port Vale v Stoke, Hull v Grimsby, Bristol Rovers v Newport, Exeter v Plymouth and I’m sure many others with great history and part of the collective fabric of our game.