PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Derby Days

On a slightly different topic I’ve always been more interested in the “town” derby’s than the Sky Sports hype on big City derby’s. Super Sunday Liverpool v Everton and Arsenal v Spurs. They are always more intense and certainly in the past they were. I once went to a Hartlepool v Darlington game in the late 90’s mental.

Others that have been intense as our derbies and just as important to their fans could be Ipswich v Norwich, Port Vale v Stoke, Hull v Grimsby, Bristol Rovers v Newport, Exeter v Plymouth and I’m sure many others with great history and part of the collective fabric of our game.
In the 80s I worked with a few Chesterfield fans. They hated Mansfield with a passion. They called 'em scabs as opposed to stags. It was linked to the miners strike, the Derbyshire miners stayed out on strike, unlike their Nottinghamshire counterparts.

On a slightly different topic I’ve always been more interested in the “town” derby’s than the Sky Sports hype on big City derby’s. Super Sunday Liverpool v Everton and Arsenal v Spurs. They are always more intense and certainly in the past they were. I once went to a Hartlepool v Darlington game in the late 90’s mental.

Others that have been intense as our derbies and just as important to their fans could be Ipswich v Norwich, Port Vale v Stoke, Hull v Grimsby, Bristol Rovers v Newport, Exeter v Plymouth and I’m sure many others with great history and part of the collective fabric of our game.

Just being a bit picky here Cappy, but the examples you give are cities and even more picky, if you go for Port Vale v Stoke you have to go Bristol City v Bristol Rovers but having said that I get where you are coming from, the numbers may not be as big but the passion is the same. (y)

Just being a bit picky here Cappy, but the examples you give are cities and even more picky, if you go for Port Vale v Stoke you have to go Bristol City v Bristol Rovers but having said that I get where you are coming from, the numbers may not be as big but the passion is the same. (y)
Chester vs Wrexhan can be a bit feisty.

blackpool v AFC Fylde !?

Our van got bricked after the game. Seem to remember the league game was a bit of a rum do as well.
I was in that van if you remember. I took a sore one above my ear, blood pissing everywhere so we stopped at a pub to get cleaned up. Carl S was driving and I'm sure he ran someone over

I was in that van if you remember. I took a sore one above my ear, blood pissing everywhere so we stopped at a pub to get cleaned up. Carl S was driving and I'm sure he ran someone over
Remember stopping at the pub. The landlord asked where we'd parked the coach. Must've had 25 in a transit van. Think we got stopped by the traffic police in the way for overloading, ha ha.

Totally agree with this ... the derby games in the big cities are no more intense ( in fact less so ) than in the lower leagues

Chester v Wrexham and Bury v Rochdale are two more that spring to mind.....

Apparently Stafford Rangers v Stalybridge Celtic was something of a derby that sometimes attracted supporters that created a rather intense atmosphere back in the day. 🤔
Chorley v Chester whilst not technically a Derby had become very feisty about 3 or 4 years ago......

I know we're talking smaller clubs here but by all accounts from those that have had different Derby experiences, nothing comes close to The Old Firm.
Yeah the Old Firm is a different level. Would love to go to one. Have you been? I’ve been out in Glasgow the night before one and the whole city was buzzing.

Yeah the Old Firm is a different level. Would love to go to one. Have you been? I’ve been out in Glasgow the night before one and the whole city was buzzing.
No, never been.
The only Derby games I've been to apart from the obvious where PNE are involved, are Sheffield and West Ham/Chelsea. Both many moons ago.
One that hasn't been mentioned is Portsmouth/Southampton which is a tad tetchy by all accounts.

No, never been.
The only Derby games I've been to apart from the obvious where PNE are involved, are Sheffield and West Ham/Chelsea. Both many moons ago.
One that hasn't been mentioned is Portsmouth/Southampton which is a tad tetchy by all accounts.
I played a few times in the Woodfield/ Three Nooks derbies as a kid. Never seen anything like it since