PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Dichio - possible reason for poor 2nd half

simon_pne

Patron
I am surprised no one else has mentioned this.

It was clear to see the effect Dichio had when he came on, it was not a positive one, it was a complete negative one as per usual he has a shocking game and does not contribute anything. Playing with this guy up front is just dangerous.

Playing with Dichio up front is always going to give the other team more options to attack. He can't close down their defenders when they are on the ball, he cant chase down balls that are a metre either side of him as he just cant turn, run fast enough. I am struggling to remember a professional footballer that is slower than dichio. Not only that, his famous flick ons, nothing ever comes of them. They just simply give the ball back to defenders and invites more pressure. Not only that (again), half of the time he does not even win a header. He should take a long hard look at Steve Howard last week. He won every header.

Yes ok, he was forced to come on after aggy's injury, but it is worrying that he has lasted so long at this club and that some fans are happy to see him in the team. We are hoping for play-offs this season (at a push after everything that has gone on this season) yet i very much doubt he would get into any other club's team in our league, probably even the league below as well.

Cracking first half last night, terrible second.

Just my opinion

Re: Dichio - possible reason for poor 2nd half

I honestly think DD won all but one of his headers, and most of his touches went to a white shirt.

Hey, but don't let the facts get in the way of a good story (or even a bad one).

Given the fact that Barnsley tightened it up a bit in the middle after half-time had nothing to do with it then?
Dichio isn't my favourite player either, but he did win most things last night, and his through ball to Nugent one point should have had a goal for Nuge, but he screwed it wide. The game pland oes change slightly when Danny is on the pitch, but you can't say we were crap in the second half just because of one player. Ridiculous.

simon_pne said:
I am surprised no one else has mentioned this.

It was clear to see the effect Dichio had when he came on, it was not a positive one, it was a complete negative one as per usual he has a shocking game and does not contribute anything. Playing with this guy up front is just dangerous.

Playing with Dichio up front is always going to give the other team more options to attack. He can't close down their defenders when they are on the ball, he cant chase down balls that are a metre either side of him as he just cant turn, run fast enough. I am struggling to remember a professional footballer that is slower than dichio. Not only that, his famous flick ons, nothing ever comes of them. They just simply give the ball back to defenders and invites more pressure. Not only that (again), half of the time he does not even win a header. He should take a long hard look at Steve Howard last week. He won every header.

Yes ok, he was forced to come on after aggy's injury, but it is worrying that he has lasted so long at this club and that some fans are happy to see him in the team. We are hoping for play-offs this season (at a push after everything that has gone on this season) yet i very much doubt he would get into any other club's team in our league, probably even the league below as well.

Cracking first half last night, terrible second.

Just my opinion

complete and utter bollox, were you one of the booers at the end, try watching the f**cking match for a change

Dichio went off injured at Derby last week and we seemed to play worse without him :confused: This week he comes on and someone's saying we played worse with him :confused:

Is Dichio going to get blamed everytime we don't play well one way or the other :rolleyes: I think sometimes some fans on here just use him as a scapegoat.

pne4eva2003 said:
Dichio went off injured at Derby last week and we seemed to play worse without him :confused: This week he comes on and someone's saying we played worse with him :confused:

Is Dichio going to get blamed everytime we don't play well one way or the other :rolleyes: I think sometimes some fans on here just use him as a scapegoat.

Good to see the majority common sense prevailing.

He's not the most gifted of players but if Nugent had been half way to form he would have buried 2 or 3 of the chances Danny made for him

simon_pne said:
Just my opinion

and you are of course entitled to it and to express it here.

Just as i and others are entitled to ours opinion that yours is utter bollocks.

And for good measure, I'll add my opinion that fans like you and the boo boys last night are the real problem the club needs to solve

pne4eva2003 said:

That would be a fair comment except for the fact that he has yet to score a goal!!!!
In effect we could be playing with one up front!

Nobber said:
That would be a fair comment except for the fact that he has yet to score a goal!!!!
but last night, he made a couple of chances for nugent who failed to put them away. isn't playing with 2 strikers up front not all about them both scoring but making chances for each other ?

fair enoug he hasn't scored but that is something that can be addressed.

Nobber said:

I agree yes he's yet to score a goal, and I didn't say what I did because he's a prolific goalscorer or my favourite player....but when the whole team do not play well he should get the blame should he?...that's why the word scapegoat sprung to mind. I've seen spurts of Dichio's game this season that surpass anything I personally saw of him last season...his contribution to some matches this season has been brilliant, whether he's scored or not. I've also seen other strikers miss sitters this season but they don't get blamed for the whole team playing badly :confused:

Nobber said:
Quite. DD has failed to score in any league match (about 40 I think).

I taped the match and have watched it through, and I did see things not evident live. It is true DD put a great ball through to Nugent who should have scored., but that apart his contribution was minimal. Nugent made a couple of excellent breaks in the second half and had to plough on by himself because DD was miles behind. He is simply not up to Championship pace or quality. Works hard, tries hard, but thats not enough.

Barnsley seemed to double up on Whaley second half, which, since they were already a man short, should have allowed lots of space on the left. Unfortunately Hill had a poor match and Pugh was pretty anonymous.

Glad of 3 points when we played so poorly second half, but the left hand side needs improving. Omerod and Nowland can't come back soon enough for me.

White in Exile said:
And for good measure, I'll add my opinion that fans like you and the boo boys last night are the real problem the club needs to solve

What a complete an utter idiot you have shown yourself to be. I pay my money, get behind the team, every player, i never boo anyone, not even player's coming back to their old ground as i believe it only spurs them on. Next time, get your facts right before you show yourself up again. So i am a bad fan for having a simple opinion?! hmmm

What game where you watching??!!?? Thought he played well when he came on and probably won 99% of headers/flick ons. His defending at corners and set peices was good as well.
:D He should just come out and say he wants to be a centre back and have done with it!

Couldn't disagree wiwith you more Simon.

I thought Dichio was very useful last night with some good headers, touches and passes. Its just that Nugent didn't make any use of them!

The thing is at present he offers Simmo something different and he does make it difficult for defenders. I think he is more effective away from home.. but even if he doesn't score he does create openings for others.

But the fact is at this time he is our only other available striking option.

Calm down.. I can't imagine for one minute he will feature when Ormerod and Mellor are match fit. I believe we are watching his last few games as a regular.