PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Does anyone on here remember my dad dirk pnemouse?

Your dad was one of the great characters of this forum and even now it is not the same without him. Though I never met him I was deeply shocked and dismayed when the news of his passing was posted here. I still remember the photo of the priest/vicar at his funeral wearing a PNE scarf. I hope that the grief you and your family would have felt at the time is now transmuted into joy at the memories you will have of him and that you are continuing as a supporter of PNE.
image_2022-09-02_142604662.png

I still miss Deck, so much. Had some wonderful conversations both on here and away from here. I felt privileged to count him as a friend.

I'll see if i can find it but his brother, Frank, did one of the most moving Eulogies ive ever read.

image_2022-09-02_142753117.png

Found the Eulogy

Before i post my Eulogy to Deck , Can i just say i was so proud of his children today , The way they have behaved under such pressure with the loss of their dad my brother , is so heart warming ... Their love for their dad shines out of them , just know Kerry Carly and Michael , your dad will be besides each of your every day , the breeze on your face , the tears in your eyes and eventually the smiles on your faces , are all signs that hes right there with you , go forward with the knowledge ,that the certain inspiration that you, ll feel during your lifetimes ,will be your dads love and energy he,s passing through to you ,and remember one thing ... love never dies , so always think about him and always talk about him and let him feel the love that i know you, ll each carry with you through your lives , i am only your uncle but i couldnt love you anymore than i do right now and remember what i told each of you make your lifes spectacular Sincerely uncle Frank xxx .........
And now my Eulogy for Deck ....... Eulogy

When i was thinking what i could write, a little voice inside my head said write with your heart,so thats what i am gonna do...
Nothing can prepare you for losing someone you love and words never seem appropriate ,but how often do you get to sit and write and express your emotions on such a level.. the answer of course is you don`t. Or at least you wish you didnt have to. But the words i am writing for you now,are born out of a heart felt loss,but also a need to reflect on the passing of my brother ....

I have two other brothers,but Deck was the baby of the family,and for many years in our youth whilst we were growing up he was a royal pain in the arse.I can assure you the feeling was mutual as he never missed an opportunity to remind me.

Too many years were spent rolling round the floor, seeing if it was humanly possible to actually crack concrete with each others skulls, the answer of course is no, but it wasnt for the want of trying.

Brotherly love was very thin on the ground in our family , a grunt or a scowl would pass as communication between us, but i am sure many of you can relate to this kind of up bringing.

Don`t get me wrong, Deck was a lot of fun he`d make you laugh in an instant, and you got to see a side of him shown quite rarely back then.Ours was a tough upbringing and that stayed with him through his life. Even in his final years, you get the idea he was constantly fighting his own demons, as do we all, but he found an avenue which completely shocked me, he was able through the power of the written word to touch so many people.

I`ll be honest with you all, i couldn`t believe it was his own work at first. How was this snotty nosed kid i was literally dragged up with able to move so many people, but by god he did and he was not just good he was fantastic. I am so proud he was able to use his poetry as an outlet to express himself,and in the same vein help so many people just by talking to them... truly a gift,but why did it take so long to come to the fore?
Just how many of us are so much happier to help and guide others,but the first to snub other people`s attempts to help us .Deck was so much like this. He`d talk for hours and listen to peoples troubles and worries and in an instant be able to pass on wonderful words of wisdom.
Well let me tell you, as a kid Deck was painfully shy , where as i`ll take a hundred words to say one,he,d say one word to express hundreds.
Deck was a complex man. Kindness and good humour walked side by side with dark moods,and stubborness, but he had a heart as big as a bucket ,and if he could help you he would help you,but cross him and he could shut you out of his life,but he always kept the door ajar.
Deck had a passion for football.His team are Preston North End ,and he was a very regular poster on the on line forum PNE-ONLINE, where he was affectionately known as `Dirk The Pne Mouse`. Not many people know how he got the name.Maybe one day i`ll reveal the reason he called himself that, but thats for another day.I know he`ll be sadly missed on the forum.I onced asked him why he argued so much with the other people that posted on the forum and he smiled and said, "Debate helps stimulate conversation.If we all agree,it`s no longer a forum".I suppose hes got a point.

Decks children - Kerry,Carly and his son Michael can be proud of their Dad.He,like all parents only wants what`s best for their kids.As a Dad myself, i know exactly what that means.

Did Deck mellow over the years? Yes,we all do.His health was something which troubled him, and we spoke many times over his concerns privately and also in company sometimes.

He carried the past around with him like an old overcoat and how i wish he`d have flung it away,but like so many others, he almost needed it.Dwelling on matters which took place nearly forty years ago, always seemed to hold him back and i know things weighed heavy on his mind, but as i always told him you can`t change the past, but you can steer the future.Deck made so many friends and touched so many lives and he was a good man. He loved to start the day with a coffee,and pass his greetings on to his many friends.I did wonder at times if he had shares in the Nescafe group ,but alas i fear he didn`t.

Nobody made me laugh like Deck and i`ve left his house with my sides aching,and a banging headache.The stories we shared were well worn and we both knew the punchline, but it`s how a story is told,and his infectious laugh always managed to set me off.

He always made me look at a situation again,"Take your time Franky" he`d say, and he was right. No one ever calls me Franky, but he did and i`ll miss that. And so, in conclusion i just want to say its been a hell of a journey Our Kid, one which will seem a lot lonelier now,

but i know,you`ll be with me and when i look at Kerry Carly and Michael, i`ll see you in them.They are great people in their own right, having to face this massive challenge and with digity, they are rising to it. You can be so proud of them,as i know you always were. They are a credit to our whole family. Our children reflect us, in which case you and Heather can take great credit.

As our generation starts to slip away, their time comes to the fore Our Kid. As we slip from view behind the curtain,and out of sight of our loved ones,the centre stage belongs to them and theirs.

I personally have lost not only a brother but a friend , we`d learnt to stop banging our heads on the pavement, and rolling around on the ground.So go forward Our Kid to wherever this journey takes you, in peace and with the love of all the people that knew you. Until we meet again Our Kid,just know i love you so much. God bless you ...FRANKY..XX

Had some major battles with Dirk, first on WTJOTP which I think he ran with 6Pence(?), and then on here up to his untimely death. We never saw eye to eye on anything, but there was mutual respect.

An excellent poster.

I don’t think many see eye to eye with you on here, mate 😅

Good to hear though. Fondly remembered by a lot of this forum.

Had some major battles with Dirk, first on WTJOTP which I think he ran with 6Pence(?), and then on here up to his untimely death. We never saw eye to eye on anything, but there was mutual respect.

An excellent poster.
It's about time you changed your allegiance, what's up, isn't there any intelligent conversation on AVFTT? You obviously love this forum, if you ask nicely we might send you a North End rosette and rattle for you to display on the STF stand.

Wear your best Sunday Frock and heels, we are very forgiving people in Preston, might as well get behind your home team. Must be such a 'drag' (no pun intended) having to travel all that way to gloomfield every other Saturday.

It's about time you changed your allegiance, what's up, isn't there any intelligent conversation on AVFTT? You obviously love this forum, if you ask nicely we might send you a North End rosette and rattle for you to display on the STF stand.

Wear your best Sunday Frock and heels, we are very forgiving people in Preston, might as well get behind your home team. Must be such a 'drag' (no pun intended) having to travel all that way to gloomfield every other Saturday.
You can change many things in life, fortunately, your football club isn't one of them.