PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Transfer gossip - Summer Window 2021

If you're happy with mid-table or lower every season then I feel that's true.

Otherwise you need a manager with ambition and drive who gets the right backing.

Not sure if that is McAvoy yet, I don't get that feeling from him though, just seems happy to be here.

I'm sure Frankie has the ambition otherwise he wouldn't have put himself in the shop window for the job.

He 100% needs to be backed for us to progress, I was meaning more not airing the dirty laundry and being a slapped arse in public like Neil turned out to be when he wasn't getting his own way, I think he was deflecting a lot of the poor results and football onto what he considered to be low spend when at times he had a bloody good squad for the division and his stubbornness tactically held him back.

The jury is still out for me on this transfer window, we need that creative spark and a striker otherwise I think we are short for any forward push this season.

If you're happy with mid-table or lower every season then I feel that's true.

Otherwise you need a manager with ambition and drive who gets the right backing.

Not sure if that is McAvoy yet, I don't get that feeling from him though, just seems happy to be here.
Which fits perfectly with the club's attitude toward being in the Championship.

Just remember the goals Sinclair put away at Brentford last season - classic penalty area poacher goals. He is perfectly capable of playing and being effective as part of a strike partnership.
He's done little/nothing to show he can contribute effectively when played in a front 2.
I don't dispute is finishing ability but he would be reliant on others do the donkey work then give it me and I'll get up from my chair and put it in the net

I'm not as worried about having players going into their final year this year as I was last.....

last year we had players most of us wanted to keep in that position and it was unsettling to lose our 'stars'.

This year we have players who we might 'like' but arent stars going to be overly popular with other clubs who are above us!

Most would gladly accept any deal from us next summer or risk joining the great unemployed football gang

We need stability.
At the start of last season players and supporters were unhappy with team selection and tactics. Some players, not just Pero, felt undervalued and underused. The good ship PNE was becoming unstable.
The change in management and tactics settled things somewhat, but there is more to come.
A few players who were out on loan are now back and have a new chance to impress. The slate is clean.
Harrop especially is one who could start to show the type of form he had before his injury... was that two years ago?
We have players who could make us potentially a very good team and we should be encouraging them.
Personally I am looking forward to the new season.

Pearson has left the building and moved on... so should we.

I'm sure Frankie has the ambition otherwise he wouldn't have put himself in the shop window for the job.

He 100% needs to be backed for us to progress, I was meaning more not airing the dirty laundry and being a slapped arse in public like Neil turned out to be when he wasn't getting his own way, I think he was deflecting a lot of the poor results and football onto what he considered to be low spend when at times he had a bloody good squad for the division and his stubbornness tactically held him back.

The jury is still out for me on this transfer window, we need that creative spark and a striker otherwise I think we are short for any forward push this season.
I think Neil lost his drive around the time Covid kicked in and he was probably resigned to fact both Bens were leaving and wanted out.

Before that he was hungry and nearly got us into the play-offs twice with minimal resources.

Losing his best players each year with no replacements probably wore him down.

Hopefully McAvoy is driven in a similar way but no idea yet.

Part of me feels that given this is his first managerial role at the age of 53, he's been quite happy to be a secondary man for his whole career.

Our ownership structure needs a manager willing to criticise them, otherwise they become convinced of their own genius. Peter Ridsdale does not need a second invitation to be convinced of his own genius

Yes criticise them but not in public. Criticising in public never ends well.

Alex Neil in his first season was really good in his interviews. But in his last it was almost unbearable. And it must be affecting the players when you are constantly being told you aren’t good enough.

The beginning of the end for me was when he changed the full team against Wycombe just to prove his point.

Just remember the goals Sinclair put away at Brentford last season - classic penalty area poacher goals. He is perfectly capable of playing and being effective as part of a strike partnership.
That game where he played on the left as part of a front 4? A role that gives him far more space than striker does

I think Neil lost his drive around the time Covid kicked in and he was probably resigned to fact both Bens were leaving and wanted out.

Before that he was hungry and nearly got us into the play-offs twice with minimal resources.

Losing his best players each year with no replacements probably wore him down.

Hopefully McAvoy is driven in a similar way but no idea yet.

I don’t get why he lost his drive though because we was still sixth, had a good chance of promotion and had we got promoted they probably would have stayed.

I don’t get why he lost his drive though because we was still sixth, had a good chance of promotion and had we got promoted they probably would have stayed.
Wasn't there talk of some personal problems too?

Either way, don't think it can be argued that there wasn't a big change in him.

From one of the best young managers in the country, to a guy who seemed like he'd had enough.

That game where he played on the left as part of a front 4? A role that gives him far more space than striker does

A match in which his first goal came when on the edge of the six-yard box he collected a cross from way out on the left, controlled it, swivelled and shot and in which his second came when he swivelled and shot first time from a knockdown from a cross from the other flank. I am confident that if Sinclair is played regularly as part of a strike partnership he will score regularly.

Opening talks costs nothing, but it at least shows the player a professional courtesy that you value them and you want them to stay.
I am generally sympathetic to Hemmings not wanting to pay stupid money to players but after listening to Pearson's interview it certainly sounds like the club were negligent in at least trying. I know Alex said with Browne and DJ it was about money but with the two Ben's it was about personal ambition but Pearson's interview doesn't state that about his situation.

Yes criticise them but not in public. Criticising in public never ends well.

Alex Neil in his first season was really good in his interviews. But in his last it was almost unbearable. And it must be affecting the players when you are constantly being told you aren’t good enough.

The beginning of the end for me was when he changed the full team against Wycombe just to prove his point.

Exactly.

A match in which his first goal came when on the edge of the six-yard box he collected a cross from way out on the left, controlled it, swivelled and shot and in which his second came when he swivelled and shot first time from a knockdown from a cross from the other flank. I am confident that if Sinclair is played regularly as part of a strike partnership he will score regularly.
I'll agree to disagree mate.
He'd be a passenger .
He's better drifting in and a central striker doesn't get that luxury.
He can't out pace or bully CHs.

His player of the month nomination came in Jan 2020 when he scored a few goals. But he started about five games after that and looked absolutely craptastic.

The extension offered in Aug 2020 was an awful decision. This certainly isn't hindsight talking. He's started just one league game for PNE since he signed that extension. And yet here we are stuck with him for two more years on wages no one else will pay him.

Whoever wanted Harrop originally in 2017 (whether it be Hemmings or Ridsdale) simply isn't willing to give up on him. It's not based on performances or potential or statistics.

It's this kind of interference that holds us back year after year. Continually stuck with average players on above average money.
Your right with your figures about the number of games. The fact is he got dropped after the nomination to allow I think DJ back in the team, people were up in arms about it on here. Who knows if he hadn't been isolated by AN for the rest of the season, things may have turned out differently for him.

For the record, I've never been a fan of Harrop from day one, but it seemed odd that when he finally found some form AN dropped him.

I also don't read a lot into his performances at Ipswich in League 1, he went with Covid and as everyone knows, it affects people differently.