PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

CONFIRMED EFL New TV deal with Sky

• Thread starter Thread starter JK
  • Start date Start date
Does this deal make the club a more attractive proposition for a buyer?
It might make EFL clubs as a whole more attractive but since everyone benefits the same its unlikely to make us any more of less attractive than other similar clubs.

So revenue goes up a relatively small amount, gets swallowed up in no time. We get messed around with kick off times? Is what I'm getting from this. Not sure who wins here but its definitely not fan.
Tell em to fu*k off.
As an exile its fairly attractive to me but TBH, I'd feel a lot more comfortable with something that doesn't fuck over the average match-attending fan.

Sky have played this whole deal cleverly. The Premier TV rights are likely to be substantially cut soon as the Premiwr League move towards a club subscription model (estimated to triple PL team income). Sky will be left with a lot of air time to fill as a result and have therefore moved to secure a good amount of content. Sky have been caught out before with the cricket channel, where BT sport picked up a good number of England games. As a result of this, Sky resorted to showing County Championship games to provide some content for the subscribers.

The statement that there will be more parity on the number of times clubs are shown will be misleading. What they will do is stick most unfashionable teams on the red button or Sky Sports App with inferior coverage. They’d be able to say that Rotherham have been on 20 times, when 16 of them are red button.
Yeah, the "red button" games (which by the sound of it won't even be on the red button any more, they'll be streamed on a new Sky Sports app only) will be the dumping ground for unfashionable clubs, and probably all the L1/L2 stuff.

No doubt the per-match facilities fees the clubs are still arguing about will end up biased towards the clubs appearing on the Sky main channels (all the usual big club suspects), versus those who simply have their kick-off times fucked around so they can be streamed as a contractual obligation.

If the Prem TV rights fragmented in the way suggested by Simon Jordan in the Mail (ditching or heavily weakening the collective agreement in favour of per-club subscriptions), that would also have big implications for the EFL, who are banking on a bigger percentage of the collective Prem/Sky cash for their future financial distribution model. Not sure the upcoming independent football regulator would look too kindly on such an arrangement, despite Simon's wishful thinking.

12:30 is just shite. Too early for pub. Too early to get home

I have to talk to the missus……
Aye 12.30pm games are a pain 5.30pm games Decent can have few pints up town if so 3pm ok Friday's prob not. Season Ticket sales will be interesting that Season

isn’t the championship the 5th richest league in Europe or something? Time to make a decent job of overseas player recruitment- Brexit notwithstanding.

As regards funding - better to be in the tent than outside. It’s the premier parachute payments that’s the unfairest Situ at the moment.

It’s no surprise to me there’s more American interest in the English clubs. Kinda ironic because the key to a vibrant league is promotion and relegation which they abhor in their own sports. The rugby union authorities are finding that out to their cost

Yeah, the "red button" games (which by the sound of it won't even be on the red button any more, they'll be streamed on a new Sky Sports app only) will be the dumping ground for unfashionable clubs, and probably all the L1/L2 stuff.

No doubt the per-match facilities fees the clubs are still arguing about will end up biased towards the clubs appearing on the Sky main channels (all the usual big club suspects), versus those who simply have their kick-off times fucked around so they can be streamed as a contractual obligation.

If the Prem TV rights fragmented in the way suggested by Simon Jordan in the Mail (ditching or heavily weakening the collective agreement in favour of per-club subscriptions), that would also have big implications for the EFL, who are banking on a bigger percentage of the collective Prem/Sky cash for their future financial distribution model. Not sure the upcoming independent football regulator would look too kindly on such an arrangement, despite Simon's wishful thinking.
The Riddler probably played a big part in negotiating this so if he had the EFL’s best interests at heart it says a lot about his business skills (lack of).

The Riddler probably played a big part in negotiating this so if he had the EFL’s best interests at heart it says a lot about his business skills (lack of).
Not sure how much negotiating was really involved - they did it through a tender process, and dealing with the 3PM blackout seems to have been a big EFL priority - they mention research that said scrapping it could lead to an annual drop of £37m in ticket sales, so they wanted any bid that planned to scrap the blackout to make up this shortfall somehow.

Clearly nobody was willing to do that, and Sky were the highest bidder happy to keep the 3PM blackout, so they were the EFL's preferred bidder. After that, you're onto negotiation about the details, rather than the broad features of the deal.

But I think shunting 5 out of 12 Saturday Championship fixtures away from 3PM and onto Sky is effectively a test that will be quite valuable to the EFL - they'll be able to assess whether the games moved from 3PM for streaming suffer from reduced attendances, compared to the 7 that aren't shifted.

By the end of this 5-year deal, they should have a lot of hard data to prove the case one way or the other, and perhaps be in a position to scrap the 3PM blackout for the next TV deal.

Which I think is inevitable eventually - making games available to stream to paying subscribers is clearly a no-brainer, but nobody wants the kick-off times shunted around just to enable that, because that changes the whole product.

So presumably the negotiations to decrease parachute payments from the PL and distribute the money among the championship clubs is ongoing?

As someone with a SKY subscription (but not IPTV), this is brilliant news as almost every away day (I work nights) I'll now be able to see.

I have attended 5 aways this season.

Lashers
Wigan
Burnley
M'Boro
Sun'lun.

Life saver for myself.

Last edited:
We do also need a good deal from PL to EFL with more, fairer spread payments.

The test for PNE is whether this increases turnover, or just reduces the Hemmings contribution

i thought i read a while ago the EFL were pissed off that auntie hadnt bothered to bid for highlights package but had bought the rights for champions league highlights so while there midweek games will be packages on some channel you have to go & look for (know its on that particular channel ) everyone else / casual viewer will be enjoying real madrid spanking another english clubs arse

i thought i read a while ago the EFL were pissed off that auntie hadnt bothered to bid for highlights package but had bought the rights for champions league highlights so while there midweek games will be packages on some channel you have to go & look for (know its on that particular channel ) everyone else / casual viewer will be enjoying real madrid spanking another english clubs arse
The obscure channel ITV you mean?

That article was Daily Mail BBC-bashing with no quotes, just referring to the "fury" of unnamed "EFL executives".

Ive no idea what type of revenue comes from the IFollow deals but if more games are going to be on the app/red button then surely this revenue will all but be gone?

The obscure channel ITV you mean?

That article was Daily Mail BBC-bashing with no quotes, just referring to the "fury" of unnamed "EFL executives".
i thought that the highlights they were talking about were from 24/25 onwards i know itv have them now & by all accounts were the only show in town bidding after 5 didnt bother or quest, if it was the daily heil sounds about right though !!