PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

EFL Suspended till 4th Apr (confirmed)

Could see top three going up automatically same with relegation if games can be completed in time with play offs scrapped

surely they can’t just amend the Rules although there must be some clauses in there for abandoned seasons

I could see the teams at the bottom of the Prem having an issue with that.

I'm sure they would... as would any team getting relegated. That's the obvious other side of the coin... but IMO, if a worldwide pandemic halts the league with just 9 games to go, and there is no prospect of completing those games without ruining next season, then you've got a decision to make... and some teams are going to have to be unlucky. I just think it crazy to call it null and void... or try to play the matches in August.

[EDIT - ASSUMING HARRY'S POINT ISN'T APPROPRIATE - i.e. that there are no rules to cover this eventuality] There are a few particularly tricky issues:

• Man United are in a Champs League place. Sheff U are 2pts behind with a game in hand. I guess it goes to Manchester based on points per game but there would be arguments...
  • Similarly Villa are 2 points from safety with a (home) game in hand. Villa to be relegated?
  • Hull sinking like a stone wrapped in concrete... would survive, 4th from bottom - tough on the teams below them.
  • Wycombe are in EIGHTH place, but one point behind Oxford in 3rd... with a game in hand (and incidentally six teams all within a point of each other in 3rd-8th place) this is a tricky one... Maybe Wycombe to go up based on points per game.
Oh... and do 8 teams get to share the FA Cup? I really think the cup would have to be declared null and void this year

Last edited:
Could see top three going up automatically same with relegation if games can be completed in time with play offs scrapped

Would have thought with nine games to go if the season was to end unfinished they would have to abandon promotion and relegation altogether, they could end up with a lot of unhappy clubs and maybe a few court cases given the money involved.

I'm sure they would... as would any team getting relegated. That's the obvious other side of the coin... but IMO, if a worldwide pandemic halts the league with just 9 games to go, and there is no prospect of completing those games without ruining next season, then you've got a decision to make... and some teams are going to have to be unlucky. I just think it crazy to call it null and void... or try to play the matches in August.

[EDIT - ASSUMING HARRY'S POINT ISN'T APPROPRIATE - i.e. that there are no rules to cover this eventuality] There are a few particularly tricky issues:

• Man United are in a Champs League place. Sheff U are 2pts behind with a game in hand. I guess it goes to Manchester based on points per game but there would be arguments...
  • Similarly Villa are 2 points from safety with a (home) game in hand. Villa to be relegated?
  • Hull sinking like a stone wrapped in concrete... would survive, 4th from bottom - tough on the teams below them.
  • Wycombe are in EIGHTH place, but one point behind Oxford in 3rd... with a game in hand (and incidentally six teams all within a point of each other in 3rd-8th place) this is a tricky one... Maybe Wycombe to go up based on points per game.
Oh... and do 8 teams get to share the FA Cup? I really think the cup would have to be declared null and void this year
There's absolutely no way they can do that. The financial implications for the clubs involved are so huge there would inevitably be legal action against the PL/EFL.

From EFL Regulations, Section 5 (Fixtures)

28 Postponements, Abandonments and Re-Arrangements

28.1 In the event of any League Match not being played owing to Football Association Cup Matches, weather or other causes over which neither Club has any control or being ordered to be replayed it shall be played on a date to be mutually arranged, but at the earliest reasonable opportunity and in any event prior to the last scheduled round of fixtures in the Normal Playing Season. Both Clubs shall notify The League of such arrangements within seven days of the postponement being identified, for the approval of The League. Any League Match not so arranged shall have its date fixed by The League.

Highlighted provision is interesting and suggests that fixtures must be rearranged and completed before the final scheduled fixture of the season. What are the chances? Looks like EFL would have to pass new regs to allow completion of the season after May.

I'm getting the subbuteo out and playing my son for money due to not being able to place my usual weekend accas. I'll beat him easy.

From EFL Regulations, Section 5 (Fixtures)

28 Postponements, Abandonments and Re-Arrangements

28.1 In the event of any League Match not being played owing to Football Association Cup Matches, weather or other causes over which neither Club has any control or being ordered to be replayed it shall be played on a date to be mutually arranged, but at the earliest reasonable opportunity and in any event prior to the last scheduled round of fixtures in the Normal Playing Season. Both Clubs shall notify The League of such arrangements within seven days of the postponement being identified, for the approval of The League. Any League Match not so arranged shall have its date fixed by The League.

Highlighted provision is interesting and suggests that fixtures must be rearranged and completed before the final scheduled fixture of the season. What are the chances? Looks like EFL would have to pass new regs to allow completion of the season after May.
I don’t think it will be possible to get three matches in before the official end of the season. I can’t see matches being played midweek in the weeks immediately before and after Easter. That leaves just two free midweek slots. The only other options would be three games in one week or extend the season. Of course, this all depends on whether play is resumed on April 4th.

I am actually really gutted about this, but that 5000 game was going be one of my last games on North End. I’ve been told I’ve got months to live. We arranged one of the boxes to have a great day with the family. Fate is a strange thing! Hopefully we will all get to see the rearranged game!
Oh FFS Stuart :(

I am actually really gutted about this, but that 5000 game was going be one of my last games on North End. I’ve been told I’ve got months to live. We arranged one of the boxes to have a great day with the family. Fate is a strange thing! Hopefully we will all get to see the rearranged game!

I’m absolutely gutted for you and with you. Much love.