Emiliano Sala (New Cardiff striker)

boltons1

First Team
Apparently Nantes have claimed the first transfer payment from Cardiff before there is confirmation of the inevitable. If true, just a reminder that as far as football clubs are concerned, their very first allegience is to cash irrespective of taste and sentiment.

Or looking at it from their point of view they may need to pay wages this month and expected £15m for one of their best players, that otherwise would never have needed to have got on a plane.

As an aside one of the first things Cardiff did, apparently, was take out insurance for £16m on him. So it works both ways.

Tino

Forum Patron
Patron
And Bordeaux who have a sell on fee are probably pushing Nantes for payment as well.

hulabaloo

Reserve
Now the body has been confirmed as Sala, I do hope the media are a little bit more sensitive to the pilot's family. They'll still be going through the same emotions as Sala"s family, except they continue to be without a body for their deceased. It must be painful to see this wave of emotion towards Sala but David is an afterthought.

Now the body has been confirmed as Sala, I do hope the media are a little bit more sensitive to the pilot's family. They'll still be going through the same emotions as Sala"s family, except they continue to be without a body for their deceased. It must be painful to see this wave of emotion towards Sala but David is an afterthought.
Agree, its almost as if because he was a professional footballer his life is more significant than the pilots. Strange.

Regardless

Forum Patron
Patron
Agree, its almost as if because he was a professional footballer his life is more significant than the pilots. Strange.
Not wishing to sound hard, but a premier league footballer losing his life - especially in these circumstances - is massively newsworthy. People want to know.

If you think there should be equal coverage of every 'less significant' person who dies, then the BBC will need to open another thousand 24hr rolling news channels to cover it all, and it will all get a tad boring!

I can only speak of my own watching and listening to the broadcast media, I think the pilot has had plenty of coverage and sympathy. Mentioned every time (or at least nearly every time) there's been a news article. Obviously not the focus of the news items... but if he'd have been on his own in that plane, we'd never have heard about him once.

Liberation

Forum Patron
Patron
Not wishing to sound hard, but a premier league footballer losing his life - especially in these circumstances - is massively newsworthy. People want to know.

If you think there should be equal coverage of every 'less significant' person who dies, then the BBC will need to open another thousand 24hr rolling news channels to cover it all, and it will all get a tad boring!

I can only speak of my own watching and listening to the broadcast media, I think the pilot has had plenty of coverage and sympathy. Mentioned every time (or at least nearly every time) there's been a news article. Obviously not the focus of the news items... but if he'd have been on his own in that plane, we'd never have heard about him once.

It might be newsworthy but the lives lost were no more/less significant..... Is that what you were trying to say?

Regardless

Forum Patron
Patron
Well yes... and that the media IMO do not deserve the criticism from hulabaloo and roulette for their coverage of the pilot's death.

Liberation

Forum Patron
Patron
Well yes... and that the media IMO do not deserve the criticism from hulabaloo and roulette for their coverage of the pilot's death.

I think the media deserve everything they get to be perfectly honest.... They aren't the nicest of beings.....And I'm being really, really polite and considerate with that description.

Dirty Harry

First Team
I actualy think the pilot has been mentioned in the news almost every time Sala has been, to be fair. The media will deem Sala to be far more newsworthy but I'm sure they don't consider the pilot's life any less valuable. We know for example that Buddy Holly and Rocky Marciano died in plane crashes but I doubt anyone could name the poor pilots. RIP to both and I hope the pilot's body does get recovered soon to give his family some closure. Terrible tragedy. And as for that Southampton fan in the above posted pictures? Why oh why is it only at bleedin' football matches that this sort of thing ever happens?

Dirty Harry

First Team
According to the news on teletext (is it still called that?) the Police have identified and 'spoken to' two idiots involved in making plane jestures and Southampton will be banning them.

I actualy think the pilot has been mentioned in the news almost every time Sala has been, to be fair. The media will deem Sala to be far more newsworthy but I'm sure they don't consider the pilot's life any less valuable. We know for example that Buddy Holly and Rocky Marciano died in plane crashes but I doubt anyone could name the poor pilots. RIP to both and I hope the pilot's body does get recovered soon to give his family some closure. Terrible tragedy. And as for that Southampton fan in the above posted pictures? Why oh why is it only at bleedin' football matches that this sort of thing ever happens?
If it was a well known personality who had got into the hearts and minds of many of the British public over a period of time , say Gareth Southgate ,then fair enough a relationship has built up. But before the tragedy virtually no one had heard of him, just like no one had heard of the pilot.
Unknown Pro footballer and unknown pilot.
The press have almost created a bias in their coverage of the event, created a link to the footballer which didn't previously exist, but not much to the pilot . Maybe they've been taught to do this on their Media degree courses ,that's what will sell the most papers ,get the most attention ,play on that.
The press have created a situation where the unknown footballers life and death is of more significance than an unknown pilots.
We've seen it all before with the McCaan case, Grenfell tower etc.

Delaney

Reserve
If it was a well known personality who had got into the hearts and minds of many of the British public over a period of time , say Gareth Southgate ,then fair enough a relationship has built up. But before the tragedy virtually no one had heard of him, just like no one had heard of the pilot.
Unknown Pro footballer and unknown pilot.
The press have almost created a bias in their coverage of the event, created a link to the footballer which didn't previously exist, but not much to the pilot . Maybe they've been taught to do this on their Media degree courses ,that's what will sell the most papers ,get the most attention ,play on that.
The press have created a situation where the unknown footballers life and death is of more significance than an unknown pilots.
We've seen it all before with the McCaan case, Grenfell tower etc.
You've clearly picked up on, noticed and kept up with the death of Emiliano Sala, how long would the headline "David Ibbotson dead" have kept you engaged. His life is no less valuable hence him being mentioned in every news story I've seen but lamenting the fact that a well known person's death gets more coverage than a normal persons death seems pretty stupid, it's the way of the world, people want to know about footballers, musicians, actors etc more than they do about normal people.