Encounters with North End players, in normal life

paddysr

Bearded Beauty
Staff member
Patron
Met Clarke Carlisle at Preston Golf Club a couple of weeks ago, what an absolutely lovely guy.
Probably the most approachable and genuine ex-pro I've ever met.
He's looking and feeling well, and most importantly he's enjoying life
He used to come in the Old Bull when I worked there and was so genuine (didnt know he had problems with the booze at the time) also grew up 2 doors down from me.

PENNYWHITE

First Team
I used to work at a certain High School in Fulwood many years ago and the boss was a bit of a tyrant. I left Christmas '99 and went to work for the last day in a Santa suit (because I could!).
School finished at lunch and we adjourned to the Black Bull. In there were messrs Gregan and Rankine. Greegs was constantly on his mobile trying to sort out the fallout from the players' Christmas do (night before?) when he'd been in trouble with the police (allegedly).
We left them to it but I happened to be buying a round at the same time as Shabba and he asked me why I was wearing a Santa suit when everyone else was in normal clothes. I explained and he laughed and said they'd assumed someone was on a wind up and had told me it was fancy dress when it wasn't! Nice bloke Shabba Ranks.

BAJPNE

First Team
I bumped into Chris Maxwell last summer on the strip in Albufeira in Portugal with his wife. He looked shell shocked someone recognised him. Nice bloke.

The Splash

Forum Patron
Patron
I used to work at a certain High School in Fulwood many years ago and the boss was a bit of a tyrant. I left Christmas '99 and went to work for the last day in a Santa suit (because I could!).
School finished at lunch and we adjourned to the Black Bull. In there were messrs Gregan and Rankine. Greegs was constantly on his mobile trying to sort out the fallout from the players' Christmas do (night before?) when he'd been in trouble with the police (allegedly).
We left them to it but I happened to be buying a round at the same time as Shabba and he asked me why I was wearing a Santa suit when everyone else was in normal clothes. I explained and he laughed and said they'd assumed someone was on a wind up and had told me it was fancy dress when it wasn't! Nice bloke Shabba Ranks.
Flippin eck! That’s the best grammar and punctuation I’ve ever seen on this forum. Great story too.

Schemer

Forum Patron
Patron
Alex Bruce once served me at the Yorkshire Bank.
Asked Mick Robinson for directions in Croston. He didn`t know.
Didn't realise Alex Bruce worked for Yorkshire Bank - presumably before his spell working in leisure centres.

Karcist

Manager
Didn't realise Alex Bruce worked for Yorkshire Bank - presumably before his spell working in leisure centres.
He was in the old Yorkshire Bank on that little alley near the market where there was a 2nd hand bookshop and umbrella shop not long after he left the game when I saw him. Thought I recognised him ( of course) but he also had a name tag and I spoke to him so I`m pretty certain it`s not dementia kicking in!

He used to come in the Old Bull when I worked there and was so genuine (didnt know he had problems with the booze at the time) also grew up 2 doors down from me.
Clarke was my paper bot when I lived in C-L-W... Always has been a nice lad whenever you would see him out and around town over the years. I'm glad to hear that he is in a good place at this moment

The Splash

Forum Patron
Patron
I recently interviewed Chris Sedgwick and he’s a bloody top bloke.
I’d agree with that. Bumped into him in the club shop when he was playing for us. I had my lad with me aged 5 at the time. Sedge was brilliant with him.......it made his day.

KeithLard

Manager
My best encounter must be back in 2010 at the Mickleover Hotel in Derby. I was there with (then-to-be) wife and my mum and dad, for an away day Derby v PNE the day after.

On arrival we noticed that a few people had PNE tracksuits on. It turned out that the team were staying there.

Three notable events occurred:

1 - Went for a swim in the morning, Sean St Ledger's bare arse faced me as I went into the changing rooms. He then went for a swim himself. My wife was a big fan and had a chat with him while he did "lunges" in the pool. He offered her a seat on the team bus to the match until she said she was with the "in-laws"...

2 - Wife and I then went to the sauna. In walked Darren Ferguson. He had spotted my PNE tattoo and opened conversation. Came across really well. It was just after the Leeds 6-4 so he was happy!

3 - On leaving, Parkin walked past. Wife wanted a photo and he was happy to oblige. Very nice fella.

Sold a spare ticket to John Mackens Dad at Burnley, he sat with my and my mates in cricket field stand was a top bloke.
Loved it that his son was playing well for us

PROF!

Manager
David Moyes phoned me at work to thank me for information I'd sent him from an Icelandic friend about an Icelandic striker we'd just signed. Moyes in that conversation also told me his ambition was to manage Man Utd (which he later did) and to manage Scotland.
I used to hang out with a few PNE players back in the 1980s after they'd finished training.
William Ballach Sterling Naughton gave me a lift to Deepdale just prior to his move to Walsall. (It was well known to players back then that I'd come to Preston from 21 miles east of Birmingham to watch them, something they appreciated).
Gordon Lee presented me with a bottle of champagne at players awards do (another that knew where I'd travelled from). Drank the champagne but kept the bottle as a souvenier.

Almac

Reserve
David Moyes phoned me at work to thank me for information I'd sent him from an Icelandic friend about an Icelandic striker we'd just signed. Moyes in that conversation also told me his ambition was to manage Man Utd (which he later did) and to manage Scotland.
I used to hang out with a few PNE players back in the 1980s after they'd finished training.
William Ballach Sterling Naughton gave me a lift to Deepdale just prior to his move to Walsall. (It was well known to players back then that I'd come to Preston from 21 miles east of Birmingham to watch them, something they appreciated).
Gordon Lee presented me with a bottle of champagne at players awards do (another that knew where I'd travelled from). Drank the champagne but kept the bottle as a souvenier.
How many goals did the Icelandic striker score? Bjarki?

PROF!

Manager
How many goals did the Icelandic striker score? Bjarki?
About as few as the stats told DM he'd score from what I remember. The stats didn't exactly paint a glowing picture I'm afraid. But back then we bought what our budget allowed. Prem sides in Iceland were not much bigger than Bamber Bridge. Reykjavik has a similar population to Preston and held half a dozen or so Prem sides. Still remember that phone call from DM though. Very excited I was. Apparantly DM phoned fans up regularly to thank them for various gifts or offers of help and set aside time each day to do just that. Top bloke!

sports rehab

Advisor to the Owner
John Thomas and Graeme Atkinson at Walking Footy.

G. A. again in Hull, when his lad and mine were mascots, whilst he lived there at the time.

OP
paolo poggi

paolo poggi

Advisor to the Owner
Earlier today, I kept passing Paul Huntington in the refrigerated aisles of Sainsbury at Bamber Bridge. I then passed his team mate, Potts , in the world food section, although he didn’t buy anything. He must have been just browsing, I wondered.
Anyway, Hunts expertly used the self checkout technology with aplomb, and appeared to purchase yogurts and what looked like some bed sheets.

MrHodgeheg123

Advisor to the Owner
Earlier today, I kept passing Paul Huntington in the refrigerated aisles of Sainsbury at Bamber Bridge. I then passed his team mate, Potts , in the world food section, although he didn’t buy anything. He must have been just browsing, I wondered.
Anyway, Hunts expertly used the self checkout technology with aplomb, and appeared to purchase yogurts and what looked like some bed sheets.
Yoghurts and bed sheets eh.🤔

My dirty mind's in meltdown.

baldnobber

Forum Patron
Patron
I've had a difficult 5 minutes trying to guide darnell Fisher through the self checkout at Fulwood booths. Let's just say I don't think darnell would be top of the list when assembling a pub quiz team.
Once queued behind Darren Carter and Karl Hawley at Fulwood asda. One was buying a wrap and fruit...the other was buying 3 galaxy ripples.