PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Encounters with North End players, in normal life

When I lived in Ribbleton back in the mid 80’s , Mike Elwiss and and his wife Olive ( daughter of Keith Leeming ) used to deliver our milk over a two or three year period....
I think their family owned the dairy business, which was based in Woodplumton.

Played knock a door run at Brian Godfrey 's house in the 60's. He came out and caught up with us and was an angry Welsh person! Also lived in the same road (bannister hall lane, higher walton) as Alec Ashworth who kept falling on his arse in the 64 cup final. Nice bloke though

Tommy Docherty used to live in Lincoln Street , off Peel Hall Street, next door to my Mum and Dad ( or maybe next door but one )

he left in 1958 and I was born in 1960....

Tommy Docherty used to live in Lincoln Street , off Peel Hall Street, next door to my Mum and Dad ( or maybe next door but one )

he left in 1958 and I was born in 1960....
I delivered newspapers to Dochertys house on Cromwell Road while he managed PNE. I'd been eating chocolate on my bike one hot day and he phoned the paper shop to complain his papers were full of melted chocolate. He might have even thought it was shit. My mum made me give up one of my paper rounds after hearing that young lad Carl Bridgewater was shot dead by some robbers in, I think, it was a criminals farm house hideaway.

I delivered newspapers to Dochertys house on Cromwell Road while he managed PNE. I'd been eating chocolate on my bike one hot day and he phoned the paper shop to complain his papers were full of melted chocolate. He might have even thought it was shit. My mum made me give up one of my paper rounds after hearing that young lad Carl Bridgewater was shot dead by some robbers in, I think, it was a criminals farm house hideaway.

😂😂 shitty newspapers

A few years ago I was filling the motor up with petroleum at Booth’s, Penwortham. Waiting patiently in the Aston Martin DB7 behind me, was Kevin Pietersen, the South Africa cricketer who scored lots of runs for England. He got out and walked to the kiosk without fuelling, I noticed. He was wearing flip flops which suggested that he was just buying basics.

A few years ago I was filling the motor up with petroleum at Booth’s, Penwortham. Waiting patiently in the Aston Martin DB7 behind me, was Kevin Pietersen, the South Africa cricketer who scored lots of runs for England. He got out and walked to the kiosk without fuelling, I noticed. He was wearing flip flops which suggested that he was just buying basics.

Married to a Preston girl.

Pop Moulding dished them out facing you - right hand, left hand, right hand, etc. Getting nine was agony.

I seem to remember Pop Moulding got me side on, and he definitely used to put all his effort in to it and “ follow through”. Fat Jack was the one who used to dish them out facing you. “ What are you here for boy” was the question when you went in to the office and handed the Chitty in. The noise used to reverberate right round that second floor landing area.

Played knock a door run at Brian Godfrey 's house in the 60's. He came out and caught up with us and was an angry Welsh person! Also lived in the same road (bannister hall lane, higher walton) as Alec Ashworth who kept falling on his arse in the 64 cup final. Nice bloke though
You should have knocked his door no way he'd have caught you.

I seem to remember Pop Moulding got me side on, and he definitely used to put all his effort in to it and “ follow through”. Fat Jack was the one who used to dish them out facing you. “ What are you here for boy” was the question when you went in to the office and handed the Chitty in. The noise used to reverberate right round that second floor landing area.

Jack McCann?

I spoke to Bryan Robson at a AM-Celebrity golf event in 1990...

I asked him if he would consider joining North End when he packed up playing for Man U and he laughed and said " No way that I would play on that plastic stuff " !!

Some years ago I got chatting to Alan Smart in a surgery waiting room, as we were both waiting for the snip. He was due in the one before me. We chatted about PNE & his then work for Radio Lancs. Soon enough he is called in for his turn, pops on his gown & he's off. For the following 15 minutes I'm sat in the waiting room thinking "Oh shit.... It's me next". The palms start sweating & everything.... Next Alan appears in the waiting room post snip... Our eyes make contact... He nods his head at me... "Good luck" he said.... "Cheers" I reply. His wife turns up to drive him home.... As he is walking out of the door he turns to me and says in a broad Glaswegian accent "whatever you do, don't let them...………."... His wife dragged him away & he's gone. Didn't really help my anxiety levels !!

Yep. That was him.

Jack was actually a decent guy. He taught at English Martyrs Boys school in the 1950s (S4 - boys of school leaving age). He had a really difficult job as there was more to be learnt on the street than in school. I think he went to Thomas More when EM closed its doors and later resurfaced at PCC in 1967, my last year there.

I once went to an all nighter in St Pauls in Bristol and left at about 6 in the morning. On the way back home I was approached by a man, seemingly under the influence of the popular street drug crack who claimed he was none other than former QPR footballer Rufus Brevvet asking if I had a cigarette. Unfortunately I didn't so we parted ways and that was that. The next day I thought I'd google Rufus to see whether I could trace his path from Premier League player to Bristol crack head and I was surprised to find out that Rufus, in between wandering the streets of Bristol high on crack cocaine was also managing a non league outfit in Bedfordshire leading me to think it might not have been Rufus after all.

Some years ago I got chatting to Alan Smart in a surgery waiting room, as we were both waiting for the snip. He was due in the one before me. We chatted about PNE & his then work for Radio Lancs. Soon enough he is called in for his turn, pops on his gown & he's off. For the following 15 minutes I'm sat in the waiting room thinking "Oh shit.... It's me next". The palms start sweating & everything.... Next Alan appears in the waiting room post snip... Our eyes make contact... He nods his head at me... "Good luck" he said.... "Cheers" I reply. His wife turns up to drive him home.... As he is walking out of the door he turns to me and says in a broad Glaswegian accent "whatever you do, don't let them...………."... His wife dragged him away & he's gone. Didn't really help my anxiety levels !!
I went for my snip during the 1986 world cup on a saturday afternoon .... i had it done at one of the private places on Moor Park.

I didnt drive in them days , so my missus and two kids got the bus from Brookfield with me and we got off at the Footy ground and walked down the avenue......

I had it done whilst the Missus played on the swings with the kids.......... i always remember the bloke who did my op saying to me, "dont ride a push bike for a few days " - I cycled to work on the Monday !!

I always remember thinking take away the pain but keep the swelling !!!! ;)