PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Energy Bills

Hi all,

Seeking a little advice with regards to my energy bills. I moved into my flat nearly 2 years ago now and set up my electricity bill with Scottish Power, after a meter reading and what have you they quoted me at £45 per month. Admittedly as it was new to me I had no idea how much I'd use or if this was a good or bad price. My flat runs on economy 7, no gas just electricity. Last year I received a phone call from Scottish Power informing myself I was £300 in credit and they would be putting my monthly payment down. After talking to a colleague at work, I was told I could ask for a rebate and get the £300 back and carry on paying what I was, it sounded like the best idea I could have done with the £300.

I took a meter reading that night just so I could check everything was correct, after doing so and ringing Scottish power I was quickly informed that I was in fact now £500 in debit and could I pay this upfront? I couldn't so we agreed on putting my bills up to £90 per month until I was straight.

I have been paying £90 now for about 9 months, and received my annual bill las week which stated as of the 5th November 2014 I was £101 in credit so here's me thinking brilliant I may be able to drop them a little now. The very next day I receive another letter saying in big letters "GOOD NEWS YOUR BILLS ARE STAYING THE SAME!" your account balance is currently £304 in debit. Arrggggghh!!! which one is it am I in debit?! Credit?! I'm so confused really want to sack Scottish Power off.

What would you suggest or who would you suggest?!

Hi all,

Seeking a little advice with regards to my energy bills. I moved into my flat nearly 2 years ago now and set up my electricity bill with Scottish Power, after a meter reading and what have you they quoted me at £45 per month. Admittedly as it was new to me I had no idea how much I'd use or if this was a good or bad price. My flat runs on economy 7, no gas just electricity. Last year I received a phone call from Scottish Power informing myself I was £300 in credit and they would be putting my monthly payment down. After talking to a colleague at work, I was told I could ask for a rebate and get the £300 back and carry on paying what I was, it sounded like the best idea I could have done with the £300.

I took a meter reading that night just so I could check everything was correct, after doing so and ringing Scottish power I was quickly informed that I was in fact now £500 in debit and could I pay this upfront? I couldn't so we agreed on putting my bills up to £90 per month until I was straight.

I have been paying £90 now for about 9 months, and received my annual bill las week which stated as of the 5th November 2014 I was £101 in credit so here's me thinking brilliant I may be able to drop them a little now. The very next day I receive another letter saying in big letters "GOOD NEWS YOUR BILLS ARE STAYING THE SAME!" your account balance is currently £304 in debit. Arrggggghh!!! which one is it am I in debit?! Credit?! I'm so confused really want to sack Scottish Power off.

Now youre in credit its well worth using a price comparison site to compare deals you can get. Like i say on many other deals, it doesnt pay to stay loyal.

Dont forget, also, to use a site like quidco or topcashback to also get some cashback for moving suppliers aswell.

Now youre in credit its well worth using a price comparison site to compare deals you can get. Like i say on many other deals, it doesnt pay to stay loyal.

Good advice,currently paying £88 per month for gas and electric using OVO Energy on a 3 bed semi.They have a decent website were you can tweek your account to suit your usage.

Like Phil said.there is no loyalty rewards nowadays,so switch!

Scottish power are a shambles, i also have only electric and economy 7. i have a seperate meter for the economy 7...despite me giving em readings every month for 2 meters...they decided to ignore the 2nd meter since last xmas...i have not had an actual accurate bill since last January.
Last week i rang the ombudsman, told them the tale and have left it to them to chase Scottish power up...they told me it will be sorted within 5 weeks.
I tried to bin them off and switch to E-ON through the Martin Lewis energy club...would save me about £100 a year...thought it was all going through till E-ON rang me the other day and pulled out of the switch because i have 2 meters, seems scottish power are the only company that will provide a service to me and consequently charge what they like, the e-on deal was 10p a day cheaper on the standing charge too...i suggest you switch companies unless you have 2 meters...then ...like me...you are apparently goosed !
ring the ombudsman mate...thats my advice

As the post above says Scottish power are a a right shower when it comes to meter readings . I gave them mine when i switched the first bill said they owed me £300.05 pound the second they owe me £200 odd pound. So i phone them up and ask for the money they owe me two weeks later a letter comes through i think great a cheque for a refund. No its another bill saying i owe them about £150.00 .

So i phone them up to find out what is going on they will not listen and just say i owe them that money. I thought no way am i paying this until they give me a proper breakdown.

Well about two weeks ago i got a letter from a debt collection agency asking me for payment plus costs . I was livid so i phoned them up and i have to say they were reasonable and did listen and have now sent it back to Scottish power so i wait to hear for the next move, because i will take this all the way to county court . Stay away from Scottish power they have not got a clue what is happening with meter readings.

I went with Ecotricity alot cheaper https://www.ecotricity.co.uk/

The cheapest deals at the moment are First Utility, Extra Energy and OVO. If you have gas but don't use much then EBICO offer a no standing charge product which should be attractive. Fixed deals give you some certainty as variable can be changed though after May (if we are lucky) then prices will be fixed for 18 months - you may see some variables increased just to cover that risk beforehand but this will likely be the smaller companies and not the big (they are more likely to have bought long term).

Switching is only one way to reduce your bill - there are simple and general energy efficiency measures you can take that will further reduce costs.

The cheapest deals at the moment are First Utility, Extra Energy and OVO. If you have gas but don't use much then EBICO offer a no standing charge product which should be attractive. Fixed deals give you some certainty as variable can be changed though after May (if we are lucky) then prices will be fixed for 18 months - you may see some variables increased just to cover that risk beforehand but this will likely be the smaller companies and not the big (they are more likely to have bought long term).

Switching is only one way to reduce your bill - there are simple and general energy efficiency measures you can take that will further reduce costs.

I switched to extra energy a few months back.

A little concerned though as they have yet to contact me and bills are still being paid to my previous supplier.....

The switcher has assured me extra energy are now my supplier an will contact me "soon"

Anyone had problems with this company?

I need to call em but don't get much free time and keep forgetting till I do my monthly house keeping.

I switched to extra energy a few months back.

A little concerned though as they have yet to contact me and bills are still being paid to my previous supplier.....

The switcher has assured me extra energy are now my supplier an will contact me "soon"

Anyone had problems with this company?

I need to call em but don't get much free time and keep forgetting till I do my monthly house keeping.

I moved to Extra Energy and Better Energy last year. Extra were slow at setting everything up but it's been fine since. Better energy actually mailed my bill this week, said I'm too much in credit so would I like a refund and a reduced monthly rate to even it out.

For anyone considering First Utility I would avoid as the worst most shambolic company out there. I joined them and have left them yet still I show as joining soon on their website. They stopped collecting my direct debit after 4 months so I owe them £200 which they ring and ask for every couple of months saying they will issue the bill. Until they do I won't pay and it just goes round in circles

I moved to Extra Energy and Better Energy last year. Extra were slow at setting everything up but it's been fine since. Better energy actually mailed my bill this week, said I'm too much in credit so would I like a refund and a reduced monthly rate to even it out.

For anyone considering First Utility I would avoid as the worst most shambolic company out there. I joined them and have left them yet still I show as joining soon on their website. They stopped collecting my direct debit after 4 months so I owe them £200 which they ring and ask for every couple of months saying they will issue the bill. Until they do I won't pay and it just goes round in circles

Cheers Jake.

Slow is not the word. Until they get their arse in gear I'm paying my previous supplier an extra 50 quid a month than I should be forking out.

As it's Monday a story to warm raefils heart about corporate greed of the utility companies. Got my winter gas bill through email from Better Energy, apologised that it was late as it had been under review. Said I had overpaid as I had a credit balance and at this point of the year they would expect it to be roughly zero, so said they will pay back the £130 this week, will reduce the monthly direct debit by a tenner to take this into account for next year and also did I want to change tariff as I wasn't on their current cheapest deal. A refreshing change

Hi all,

Jordan.. it would be really interesting to hear now it all panned out for you.