England 21/22

Dirty Harry

Advisor to the Owner
This is just silly. Even in easy games like this, injuries are a possibility.

I've always said that there should be a prequalifying tournament. They could hold this at the same time as a big tournament, e.g. prequalifying for the wc at the same time as the European Championships and vice versa for prequalifying for the Euros.
Youre probably right, though the other side of the coin is that playing at this level gives those small footballing nations a taste of what's needed to improve and some experience. Thirty or so years ago the same was happening to sides like Albania, Cyprus and Luxembourg - all of whom are now capable of giving sides like Eire a game!

cpnend

Advisor to the Owner
This is just silly. Even in easy games like this, injuries are a possibility.

I've always said that there should be a prequalifying tournament. They could hold this at the same time as a big tournament, e.g. prequalifying for the wc at the same time as the European Championships and vice versa for prequalifying for the Euros.
I agree that something needs to be done and that these sort of mismatches are pointless except for the sense of pride it gives one set of players to play in the match. The problem for me is the greed of UEFA and FIFA. They’ve increased the numbers involved to such an extent that if one of the qualifying groups has a rabbit, surely they all have to have a rabbit,

pnesaint

Manager
In the old days qualifying groups would have 3 or 4 teams in them with just the winner qualifying. None of this second chance for the runner-up nonsense. Currently with 55 teams and 13 places available that would make for 10 groups of 4 and 3 of 5. Also there would be far fewer fixtures to clutter up the season.