PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

England in the Euros.

Oh give over.
Rooney: 5 Premier Leagues, 3 League Cups, an FA Cup and a Champions League.

Rooneys goals led to titles, Kanes have led to nothing but failure.

Calling Kane a great when he’s just stunk the joint out in the League Cup final. The worst striking performance in a final, since he stunk the joint out in the Champions League final. Yet to show up when it matters most.
In your theory of only title winning players being great etc, does the same apply to managers? Just wondering, like.

I don't think anti Southgate is as big as some make out. I've not seen any real media backlash against him so far, and they're the first to turn against him.
Have you not learnt anything about Brexit? Just because the media ain't turned on him doesn't mean he's loved. Silent majority !!!!! Have a browse round Twitter and there's plenty who have no faith. Personally I know quite a few, people I know I'd say its 50/50

Spain were a poor side back then. Failed to qualify Euro 92, last 16 World Cup 94, lost on penalties to us Euro 96 (they won 1 game that tournament), World Cup 98 failed to get through their group and were behind Nigeria and Paraguay!
They were poor by comparison I suppose to latter years but we only really won two games that Tournament, Scotland and Holland. Rest were draws.

And that Spanish game. How we got through is still a mystery. They had 2 disallowed goals and one was an absolute shocker of a decision. They also hit the bar and post. Win's a win though I suppose

Incidentally Rafa Nadal's uncle played for Spain that day. Centre back I think. If I remember it was his penalty that Spunky saved to get us through!!

Interesting you mention Nigeria '98. I think there was a lot of talk of them as a coming force, didn't they do OK at USA '94 too. Finidi George ending up at Ipswich and various others. Bit similar to Senegal in 2002.

Sorry, gone off piste. Back to your original Euro '96 point.....they were bloody great days and have gone a bit misty eyed....thank you!!!!

They were poor by comparison I suppose to latter years but we only really won two games that Tournament, Scotland and Holland. Rest were draws.

And that Spanish game. How we got through is still a mystery. They had 2 disallowed goals and one was an absolute shocker of a decision. They also hit the bar and post. Win's a win though I suppose

Incidentally Rafa Nadal's uncle played for Spain that day. Centre back I think. If I remember it was his penalty that Spunky saved to get us through!!

Interesting you mention Nigeria '98. I think there was a lot of talk of them as a coming force, didn't they do OK at USA '94 too. Finidi George ending up at Ipswich and various others. Bit similar to Senegal in 2002.

Sorry, gone off piste. Back to your original Euro '96 point.....they were bloody great days and have gone a bit misty eyed....thank you!!!!
I was at that Spain game. It was great. Sat with some Coventry fans with my Baxi pne top on.

Think he might take slight issue with being referred to as Rafa's uncle! Excellent player was Miguel Angel Nadal, mainstay in the Spanish side for years.

It was bloody hard work though mate wasn't it. Think Pearce's pen in the shootout is one of my favourite football moments
I was only about 13 so can't remember the game. I remember them scoring twice and being disallowed and to see after game one should have stood.

It was bloody hard work though mate wasn't it. Think Pearce's pen in the shootout is one of my favourite football moments
Ah Stuart Pearce.
I remember him playing in a game and an opposition player giving him a full on headbutt which was missed by the officials.
Pearce went down but immediately got back up and continued to play.
How times have changed. If that was to happen today, the player on the receiving end would have stayed down after launching himself six foot into the air followed by numerous rolls on the ground before getting air lifted to hospital.

Southgate was rewarded an MBE for bottling Englands best chance of aver reaching a World Cup final.

He also bottled the nations league against the worst Dutch side in living memory.

The Euros will see a midfield pivot of Declan Rice and Kalvin fucking Phillips.

The goalkeeping situation is a massive worry an all. Henderson is tosh despite what media lead you to believe.
The defence worries me as well....

Congratulations to Luke Thomas, Mark Albrighton, Hamza Choudry and James Maddison who are now better players Bakary Saka, Mason Mount, Declan Rice and Jack Grealish and deserve a place in the Euros squad.

Will be an absolute travesty if Southgate doesn't include him in squad, as has been rumoured.
He should definitely make the squad now that we're allowed 26 players and not 23. Personally I think Sancho hasn't played that well for us so far. However, he's a great talent nonetheless and he would make my squad.

Sounds like his recent form has secured a move to Man United, and it's for less than they offered last year.

Ah Stuart Pearce.
I remember him playing in a game and an opposition player giving him a full on headbutt which was missed by the officials.
Pearce went down but immediately got back up and continued to play.
How times have changed. If that was to happen today, the player on the receiving end would have stayed down after launching himself six foot into the air followed by numerous rolls on the ground before getting air lifted to hospital.
Wasn’t that Boli of France?

This would be my squad right now and if everyone is fit:

GK: Pickford, Pope, Johnstone

Def: Alexander Arnold, James, Walker, Maguire, Stones, Coady, Dier, Shaw, Chilwell

Mid: Rice, Phillips, Foden, Bellingham, Mount, Henderson, Saka

For: Kane, Sterling, Rashford, Sancho, Grealish, Greenwood, Calvert-Lewin