PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

England in the Euros.

I'd rather have Ben Godfrey in there than Coady.

Younger and better.
I think Coady plays well in a back 3 which he has played a lot for Wolves. Southgate has hinted he will play this in the Summer.

Between Godfrey and Dier for me, Dier has advantage of being able to play in holding role.

This would be my squad right now and if everyone is fit:

GK: Pickford, Pope, Johnstone

Def: Alexander Arnold, James, Walker, Maguire, Stones, Coady, Dier, Shaw, Chilwell

Mid: Rice, Phillips, Foden, Bellingham, Mount, Henderson, Saka

For: Kane, Sterling, Rashford, Sancho, Grealish, Greenwood, Calvert-Lewin
Good looking squad - who would be your starting 11 ??

I would go :

Pickford

Alexander-Arnold , Maguire, Stones, Chilwell

Bellingham, Mount, Grealish, Foden

Kane Sancho

I think Coady plays well in a back 3 which he has played a lot for Wolves. Southgate has hinted he will play this in the Summer.

Between Godfrey and Dier for me, Dier has advantage of being able to play in holding role.
Probably not a popular choice but I really like Michael Keane. He’s improved immeasurably, is comfortable in a 3 or a 4 and has become much better on the ball. I also looked at the squad you put up and there’s no Hudson-Odoi. For me, he has to be in the squad but the question is instead of who. I’d maybe lose one of Shaw, Chilwell or Saka (I’d leave out Chilwell but Southgate would leave out Saka).

I also love Eze, he’d be a wildcard and would be somewhat of an unknown quantity to many of the other teams. He won’t get picked though.

Godfrey has played in a three though, did it at Norwich regularly.

Coady is off the back of a poor season and just isn't very good. I'd rather invest time in the younger guys.

Don't rate Dier but yeah, he provides cover for Rice. That said, I despair if our favoured system is a back 3 with Rice sat in front, barely crossing the halfway line.

Good looking squad - who would be your starting 11 ??

I would go :

Pickford

Alexander-Arnold , Maguire, Stones, Chilwell

Bellingham, Mount, Grealish, Foden

Kane Sancho
Pickford

Walker Maguire Stones Shaw

Rice Mount

Sterling Grealish Foden

Kane

My team:
Pickford

Trent
Stones
Maguire/Godfrey if Maguire is injured.
Chilwell

Rice
Bellingham

Sancho
Mount
Foden

Kane

I imagine Gareth will go with this.

Henderson

Trippier
Walker
Stones
Maguire
Shaw

Rice
Phillips

Mount
Sterling
Kane

My team:
Pickford

Trent
Stones
Maguire/Godfrey if Maguire is injured.
Chilwell

Rice
Bellingham

Sancho
Mount
Foden

Kane

I imagine Gareth will go with this.

Henderson

Trippier
Walker
Stones
Maguire
Shaw

Rice
Phillips

Mount
Sterling
Kane
I’m not sure those middle two will be able to cope with France, Spain or Belgium ( I’m talking about the Gareth team you picked )

I’m not sure those middle two will be able to cope with France, Spain or Belgium ( I’m talking about the Gareth team you picked )
You’ve suggested a flat four of:

Bellingham Mount Grealish Foden

That midfield would get torn apart.

Rice and Phillips would deal with the teams you mention far better.

Would personally have Rice and Henderson (if fit) in the two, but wouldn’t be against Mount being in there.

If he’s fit, Henderson will play - presumably with Rice against the better teams. Rice has developed tremendously over the last year or so and is virtually a guaranteed starter.

You’ve suggested a flat four of:

Bellingham Mount Grealish Foden

That midfield would get torn apart.

Rice and Phillips would deal with the teams you mention far better.

Would personally have Rice and Henderson (if fit) in the two, but wouldn’t be against Mount being in there.
Yeah, I must admit on second viewing, there doesn’t look much “ bite “ in my suggested middle 4....

it was before I had eaten my weetabix ....

This would be my squad right now and if everyone is fit:

GK: Pickford, Pope, Johnstone

Def: Alexander Arnold, James, Walker, Maguire, Stones, Coady, Dier, Shaw, Chilwell

Mid: Rice, Phillips, Foden, Bellingham, Mount, Henderson, Saka

For: Kane, Sterling, Rashford, Sancho, Grealish, Greenwood, Calvert-Lewin

Can’t really argue with any of that although I would try and find a place for ward-prowse instead of either Phillips/bellingham.

Probably not a popular choice but I really like Michael Keane. He’s improved immeasurably, is comfortable in a 3 or a 4 and has become much better on the ball. I also looked at the squad you put up and there’s no Hudson-Odoi. For me, he has to be in the squad but the question is instead of who. I’d maybe lose one of Shaw, Chilwell or Saka (I’d leave out Chilwell but Southgate would leave out Saka).

I also love Eze, he’d be a wildcard and would be somewhat of an unknown quantity to many of the other teams. He won’t get picked though.

Hudson-odoi should be no where near the squad. Why call up a player who can’t break into the Chelsea side. There are better players not in the squad who are starting week in week out for their clubs.

Lingard should be in that squad way before Hudson-odoi

Aside from the manager as people know I'm no fan of, this is what worries me also for the Euros. Imo we are really weak at CB. The fact that Mings will probably be chosen says it all. He's seems a great guy but not a great CB imo. Dier isn't much better either. So who would you play at CB with Maguire. I'd go with Tarkowski at Burnley

Aside from the manager as people know I'm no fan of, this is what worries me also for the Euros. Imo we are really weak at CB. The fact that Mings will probably be chosen says it all. He's seems a great guy but not a great CB imo. Dier isn't much better either. So who would you play at CB with Maguire. I'd go with Tarkowski at Burnley

John Stones, and its not even close.

The debates come as Maguire has done his ankle ligaments, should be fit for the Euros though.

Been reported that TAA won’t make the squad. Reece James will be picked instead.

I fucking despair.
An absolute travesty, genuinely a sackable decision.

Showing Southgate to be an absolute clown. As I’ve said before, out in the groups.

Imagine not taking your best right back as he’s ‘not up to it defensively’
Then imagine thinking a full back is a defensive position.

The Champions League final goal last season was assisted by a full back.
Of the 5 goals in the Europa League final, 3 of them were assisted from full back.

5 at the fucking back and still no Trent.

An absolute travesty, genuinely a sackable decision.

Showing Southgate to be an absolute clown. As I’ve said before, out in the groups.

Imagine not taking your best right back as he’s ‘not up to it defensively’
Then imagine thinking a full back is a defensive position.

The Champions League final goal last season was assisted by a full back.
Of the 5 goals in the Europa League final, 3 of them were assisted from full back.

5 at the fucking back and still no Trent.
I actually think your argument about winning etc. comes into play here.

Southgate was a decent player but never a top-class one and, as such, I would say that it’s probably unlikely that he ever approached a game/competition/tournament or whatever believing he could win it with the same elite mindset the very best players embrace them with.

Because he played for clubs who weren’t regularly competing for major trophies, his main strategy when facing the big clubs who were was probably to nullify their threat and hope they nicked a goal on the counter (i.e. it was one built on defensive solidity above everything else). I do think this kind of attitude can sometimes seep into a player’s thinking when they progress to management (there are obvious counter-examples to this though, Klopp for instance) and I think that’s what has happened with Southgate. He values impregnability at the back, structure and shape, as the prime virtue and everything else plays second fiddle to that.

Don’t get me wrong, that’s worked for a lot of managers (Mourinho probably the best example, Simeone too), but they bring something else to the table that transcends tactical philosophy. Mourinho is renowned for his charisma, Simeone was probably one of the fiercest competitors around when he played. I have a lot of time for Southgate as a person but I just don’t think he has something that compensates for a lack of tactical adventurousness. He doesn’t strike me as a win-at-all-costs type character and he doesn’t exactly exude charisma.

I think you can only go so far as a manager when you set your team out not to lose. I’m afraid Southgate just strikes me as a lower-half Premier League manager in the mould of, say, Eddie Howe or someone like that.

Begging to be proven wrong though.

I actually think your argument about winning etc. comes into play here.

Southgate was a decent player but never a top-class one and, as such, I would say that it’s probably unlikely that he ever approached a game/competition/tournament or whatever believing he could win it with the same elite mindset the very best players embrace them with.

Because he played for clubs who weren’t regularly competing for major trophies, his main strategy when facing the big clubs who were was probably to nullify their threat and hope they nicked a goal on the counter (i.e. it was one built on defensive solidity above everything else). I do think this kind of attitude can sometimes seep into a player’s thinking when they progress to management (there are obvious counter-examples to this though, Klopp for instance) and I think that’s what has happened with Southgate. He values impregnability at the back, structure and shape, as the prime virtue and everything else plays second fiddle to that.

Don’t get me wrong, that’s worked for a lot of managers (Mourinho probably the best example, Simeone too), but they bring something else to the table that transcends tactical philosophy. Mourinho is renowned for his charisma, Simeone was probably one of the fiercest competitors around when he played. I have a lot of time for Southgate as a person but I just don’t think he has something that compensates for a lack of tactical adventurousness. He doesn’t strike me as a win-at-all-costs type character and he doesn’t exactly exude charisma.

I think you can only go so far as a manager when you set your team out not to lose. I’m afraid Southgate just strikes me as a lower-half Premier League manager in the mould of, say, Eddie Howe or someone like that.

Begging to be proven wrong though.
Its a fair point and you could be right.

I always think winning is a mentality that can’t be trained, you’ve either got it or you don’t.

If we honestly had a Mourinho or Wenger in charge for this Euros I reckon we’d it. Southgate had a good World Cup out of sheer luck, and even then he bottled the best ever chance at it. A chance to win it won’t come easier than that.

Then he makes decisions that beggar belief. No Trent going. Also same sources saying Mason Greenwood also wont be going, and Southgate will be opting for another midfielder and James Ward-Prowse.

Ill reserve judgement till squad announced, but its looking like 5 at the back and a midfield pivot of Rice and Phillips.