PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

England v Sri Lanka

Regardless

-
Patron
Ben Foakes is having some debut!

Only the second time an England wicketkeeper has got a debut century
Then gets a catch with the second ball behind the stumps.
Then becomes the first English keeper since 1971 (Bob Taylor) to take a stumping in his first inning in a test match.

Jonny Bairstow might have some real competition once his ankle's mended.

Keaton Jennings goes in for his tea on 98 not out.

Not sure what he'll want to eat.

Jennings probably bought himself enough time already to ensure Lancs won't see much of him next year. Plus we don't have a captain either. Promising start

bigtallsi;n3400942 said:
Jennings probably bought himself enough time already to ensure Lancs won't see much of him next year. Plus we don't have a captain either. Promising start

Rumours are we’re trying to persuade Vilas to sign for an extra year, making it two more with us, and to take the captaincy. I’d go for Anderson myself, with England not playing tests until much later next summer. Buttler is undoubtedly the best potential captain but he’ll be away far too much to make it work.

Am I right in saying there's no overseas in 50 over cricket next season? Would Vilas count as overseas?

bigtallsi;n3400982 said:
Am I right in saying there's no overseas in 50 over cricket next season? Would Vilas count as overseas?

I think that starts from 2020 and the competition will run during the new (now not called the 100) competition. I would expect Kolpaks to be allowed to play as they are non overseas but Vilas would probably be picked for the new competition?

wld;n3400994 said:
I think that starts from 2020 and the competition will run during the new (now not called the 100) competition. I would expect Kolpaks to be allowed to play as they are non overseas but Vilas would probably be picked for the new competition?

Yes you're probably right there, he would. Anyway, by 2020 50 overs will probably be replaced by 50 balls after the latest results from the mumsnet focus groups have been collated, or wherever the ECB are getting their research from

Great victory for England, some very impressive performances from a number of players in the team.

Heard an interesting stat on the way in to work. Moeen Ali reached 147 wickets in test cricket in 6000 fewer balls than John Emburey.

However Mo is not a number and I would stick Jos Butler there, as he appears to have the temperament to play any type of cricket in any position and stick Mo down the order. Denly could bat 3 but not sure they can change the team, unless you drop either Jimmy or Stokes, which I doubt they will

pbc373;n3401094 said:
Great victory for England, some very impressive performances from a number of players in the team.

Heard an interesting stat on the way in to work. Moeen Ali reached 147 wickets in test cricket in 6000 fewer balls than John Emburey.

However Mo is not a number and I would stick Jos Butler there, as he appears to have the temperament to play any type of cricket in any position and stick Mo down the order. Denly could bat 3 but not sure they can change the team, unless you drop either Jimmy or Stokes, which I doubt they will

Heard another one too, first time England spinners have taken 16 wickets in a Test since the 1950's. Although Agnew on the BBC earlier this morning saying spinners weren't causing any issues and Stokes posed the only threat. Odd comment from someone who seems to be more irrelevant as each series passes, coupled with some bitterness around the lack of TMS this winter

wld;n3400967 said:
Rumours are we’re trying to persuade Vilas to sign for an extra year, making it two more with us, and to take the captaincy. I’d go for Anderson myself, with England not playing tests until much later next summer. Buttler is undoubtedly the best potential captain but he’ll be away far too much to make it work.

Good knowledge on the Vilas captaincy front!!!

cpnend;n3401234 said:
Anyone know why Herath has retired 1 match into a 3 match series?

It does seem a bit odd doesnt it ?

Was Galle his home ground or something ?

He got a terrific reception from everyone at the ground when he came into bat yesterday .....

wld;n3401595 said:
Should have had money on it!!

Haha, yes could have cleaned up

Do you have any intel on the LCCC Action Group and their fanzine The Spin?

I understand the editor of the publication was pissed up at T20 Finals Day and ended up offering out Jordan Clark. When JC accepted the offer, Barry the editor quickly backtracked, moaning on about being in his 50's, but that his son was in the Army and was a boxer and would take his place.

Summarily sacked as editor was the outcome.

Any truth in this do you know?

bigtallsi;n3401854 said:
Haha, yes could have cleaned up

Do you have any intel on the LCCC Action Group and their fanzine The Spin?

I understand the editor of the publication was pissed up at T20 Finals Day and ended up offering out Jordan Clark. When JC accepted the offer, Barry the editor quickly backtracked, moaning on about being in his 50's, but that his son was in the Army and was a boxer and would take his place.

Summarily sacked as editor was the outcome.

Any truth in this do you know?

Absolutely true - although all played out via Twitter rather than in person. He doesn’t seem to be a verynpleasan5 character, so a blessing that the Action Group dispensed with his services.

The fanzine is an ok Read and I’m totally wth the aims of the group - they’re very supportive of the team, some of the founders travel the country supporting them but very critical of the coaching and the committees.

wld;n3401870 said:
Absolutely true - although all played out via Twitter rather than in person. He doesn’t seem to be a verynpleasan5 character, so a blessing that the Action Group dispensed with his services.

The fanzine is an ok Read and I’m totally wth the aims of the group - they’re very supportive of the team, some of the founders travel the country supporting them but very critical of the coaching and the committees.

Just done a bit of research thanks to your post....twitter fights all the rage these days. Loved the response from Warren Hegg ( Barry,,,really?) but JC's nearly made me spit my wine out..."shit house"

Ando60;n3401236 said:
It does seem a bit odd doesnt it ?

Was Galle his home ground or something ?

He got a terrific reception from everyone at the ground when he came into bat yesterday .....

Made his debut there and has got 100 Test wickets in Galle. Only Jimmy and Murali have got a ton at one ground, although Murali actually managed it at 3!