PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

English Football restructure

Do you support the proposed plans to amend the league pyramid?

• Yes

• No

• Undecided

Results are only viewable after voting.
I can’t get behind the idea of the Big 6, slimy though they may be, separating from the rest of the pyramid.

I think it would devalue the league, having so much history and talent permanently leave the league.

Part of the incentive of getting into the top tier is to see our club pitted against the elite, and having a chance to put one over on them.

Supportive of Parry’s proposals I am not, but I don’t think banishing the Big 6 will fix the football leagues problems. Personally I think it might kill it.
Very similar to the Scottish Premier League.. Same winner (s) year on year... 🤔

See Rick Parry is lording himself about on the news this morning like the lord and savior.

Nothing but a puppet for Liverpool and Man Utd.

How many fans has he spoken to about this?

I wonder if they would want this if it went back to the old system of allowing only three Foreign players in a team who had to fill certain criteria to play in this country. I think not.

Its actually the big 9 that would be able to veto teams. It’s a really strange set up too, whoever is on the longest continuous run in the prem in terms of years
so Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs, West Ham, Everton, Southampton, City, United, Liverpool
The annoying thing is that 4 of these teams have never won the premiership and 1 of the teams have won it once ⚽️😡

Has anyone actually read these proposals properly? They generally make a lot of sense and would ensure the survival of a lot of struggling EFL clubs. The one big issue is the scrapping of one club one vote. Reinstate that and I'd be in favour.
I agree that they do make sense and I would like to see them help out the football league. My main gripe is how they have gone behind other clubs back to arrange this and they are basically saying we will only help you out if you give us all the power. Leaves me suspicious on what they would further plan/what they have got in mind already for if they get the voting power.

Has anyone actually read these proposals properly? They generally make a lot of sense and would ensure the survival of a lot of struggling EFL clubs. The one big issue is the scrapping of one club one vote. Reinstate that and I'd be in favour.
The money is there now to help out struggling EFL clubs. PL clubs have just spent £1.2 billion on transfers. That is almost as much as Germany, France, Spain, Portugal and Holland combined. It's a complete power grab by the 'elite's clubs.

Less clubs in Premier League, so revenue shared between less clubs. Even less chance for clubs from the EFL to get into the Premier League. The rich will end up getting richer, the rest of us even further away from them.

Job sorted then

Ive said before that the Premier league reflects "Neo-Liberal," Britain in so many ways. Just as our govt is using this Pandemic to move wealth upwards those at the top of our game are seeing a similar opportunity to do exactly the same.
It's all Boris's fault :)

The money is there now to help out struggling EFL clubs. PL clubs have just spent £1.2 billion on transfers. That is almost as much as Germany, France, Spain, Portugal and Holland combined. It's a complete power grab by the 'elite's clubs.

Less clubs in Premier League, so revenue shared between less clubs. Even less chance for clubs from the EFL to get into the Premier League. The rich will end up getting richer, the rest of us even further away from them.

Spot on for me. The loss of democratic influence through reduction in voting rights is a shocker. The fact that owners of just two clubs have taken it upon themselves to put this out, without consultation with the other 18, give it a catchy name and get support from a third person (being referred to as support from ‘the EFL’ in news reports) is another shocker

It will undoubtedly come to pass because their timing is perfect for the fat cats. The poorer championship clubs together with league one and two are in such dire straights they will go for it like starving piranhas on a lump of best rump. What option do they have?

The lower level PL clubs will do anything and everything to stay part of it, and when they realise the championship clubs are far more likely to financially regress towards league one and two, they will see the Gartside dream becoming more and more likely.

It seems there is a ‘model’ for powerful people wanting to exert financial control over their environment. Identify a level of financial weakness in your target reaching the point where survival is brought into question. Place your hand in your loose change pocket and spread a little on the water. Not only will the money be grasped but you will be seen as having saved the day. (5p per share anyone)

A ‘rescue package’ amounting to quarter of a billion could be seen as an eye watering gesture of selfless desire to rebalance the distribution of football wealth.......Until you look at how much Chelsea alone splashed in one transfer window. A few quid short of a quarter of a billion, without even thinking about the hundreds of thousands per week in what is laughably referred to as wages for their handful of new boys. And they still want Declan Rice.

The people coming up with this ‘vision’ could not give a monkeys about any club lower down than the middle of the PL let alone Harrogate Town.

If anybody thinks this is anything other than a ‘cheap at the price’ power grab, you really do need to wake up. That said, don’t worry too much or let it spoil your day because you can’t do anything about it!

On SSN today, Rick Parry said Major change is always painful and there was a lot of resistance to the breakaway in 92 but, that didn’t turn out too bad did it?

Depends who for Rick!

Spot on for me. The loss of democratic influence through reduction in voting rights is a shocker. The fact that owners of just two clubs have taken it upon themselves to put this out, without consultation with the other 18, give it a catchy name and get support from a third person (being referred to as support from ‘the EFL’ in news reports) is another shocker

It will undoubtedly come to pass because their timing is perfect for the fat cats. The poorer championship clubs together with league one and two are in such dire straights they will go for it like starving piranhas on a lump of best rump. What option do they have?

The lower level PL clubs will do anything and everything to stay part of it, and when they realise the championship clubs are far more likely to financially regress towards league one and two, they will see the Gartside dream becoming more and more likely.

It seems there is a ‘model’ for powerful people wanting to exert financial control over their environment. Identify a level of financial weakness in your target reaching the point where survival is brought into question. Place your hand in your loose change pocket and spread a little on the water. Not only will the money be grasped but you will be seen as having saved the day. (5p per share anyone)

A ‘rescue package’ amounting to quarter of a billion could be seen as an eye watering gesture of selfless desire to rebalance the distribution of football wealth.......Until you look at how much Chelsea alone splashed in one transfer window. A few quid short of a quarter of a billion, without even thinking about the hundreds of thousands per week in what is laughably referred to as wages for their handful of new boys. And they still want Declan Rice.

The people coming up with this ‘vision’ could not give a monkeys about any club lower down than the middle of the PL let alone Harrogate Town.

If anybody thinks this is anything other than a ‘cheap at the price’ power grab, you really do need to wake up. That said, don’t worry too much or let it spoil your day because you can’t do anything about it!

On SSN today, Rick Parry said Major change is always painful and there was a lot of resistance to the breakaway in 92 but, that didn’t turn out too bad did it?

Depends who for Rick!

Very good post. As for the bit highlighted, the best chance seems (surprisingly) to come from government - whose initial statement was very strongly worded and call it out for what it is. I think they used the term 'power grab' or something very similar. Hopefully they stay strong on that one.

The premier league down to 18 clubs so more revenue to each club, plus the loss of parachute money means the money they are offering lower league clubs is already paid for , not costing them anything in real terms . Really hope Parry loses his job over this , but he will probably get a job representing the Premiership in the very near future anyhow .🤬

As always the devil is in the detail and if you look closely there is a provision that says PL teams would be able to stream 8 games a season overseas and keep all the revenue. No wonder Man Utd and Liverpool were driving this. I'm guessing they would make substantially more money than anyone else out of this (and we are talking eye watering amounts - I could see those 2 clubs exceeding £1bn in sales for their 8 games). Also this would have been a long term plan that needed the technology to be viable which it probably is now to a point but in 2-3 years it would be bang on. Knowing how some of these people work, it is totally feasible Liverpool and Man Utd have been plotting this for a while and needed the EFL to be onside as a back up option if the rest of the PL didn't agree (it transpires today that Parry has suggested the top 6 resign from the PL and rejoin the EFL if they don't get their way) and what better way to get them onboard than to put an ally into the EFL?

And the Prem's desire to ruin the playoffs.

They understand how big that market is and want a piece. But how shit would it be to go through the playoff process only for the end result to be no one gets promoted. A shit prem team gets another opportunity to be shit next year.

As always the devil is in the detail and if you look closely there is a provision that says PL teams would be able to stream 8 games a season overseas and keep all the revenue. No wonder Man Utd and Liverpool were driving this. I'm guessing they would make substantially more money than anyone else out of this (and we are talking eye watering amounts - I could see those 2 clubs exceeding £1bn in sales for their 8 games). Also this would have been a long term plan that needed the technology to be viable which it probably is now to a point but in 2-3 years it would be bang on. Knowing how some of these people work, it is totally feasible Liverpool and Man Utd have been plotting this for a while and needed the EFL to be onside as a back up option if the rest of the PL didn't agree (it transpires today that Parry has suggested the top 6 resign from the PL and rejoin the EFL if they don't get their way) and what better way to get them onboard than to put an ally into the EFL?

Rick Parry was asked about this and started waffling about how the EFL has the iFollow system which works very well and some clubs are making good money from it.

It would also send 2 extra clubs to non league through no fault of their own.

Loss of Parachute Payments, which should morally go towards helping L1, L2 and The National Leagues clubs, will instead be swiped up by the PL Fatcats.

This isn't about the "good of the future game", it is all about "more ££££s for the already obscenely rich" and ain't that the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.