English Independence

Should England become a Devolved Nation?

• Yes

Votes: 10 35.7%
  • No

Votes: 13 46.4%
  • Unsure

Votes: 5 17.9%

• Total voters

Mer5eywhite

Forum Patron
Patron
I’ve no particular desire for independence, just some unique political representation, like the other members have and something to be done about this:
8445AAE2-EDC8-43C2-A872-395E2C7ADEE6.jpeg

Sepp Blatter

Goat Molester
Patron
As per Mersey, I wouldn't have a problem with devolution/better representation - and would even look at the regional devolution suggested a while back.

Last edited:

Mer5eywhite

Forum Patron
Patron
Quick question. The poll above.

By ‘devolved’ did you mean ‘independent’? I voted Unsure on that basis.
However, ‘devolved’ to me means ‘better and unique representation within a union’. In which case I would have voted Yes.

Sepp Blatter

Goat Molester
Patron

However, ‘devolved’ to me means ‘better and unique representation within a union’. In which case I would have voted Yes.
That confused me, too - I assumed devolution in my vote.

Winkytinky

Forum Patron
Patron
I made the presumption that the question meant independence hence I voted no, same as Sepp and Mersey I would be supportive of more regional devolution.

northender0602

Forum Patron
Patron
As per Mersey, I wouldn't have a problem with devolution/better representation - and would even look at the regional devolution suggested a while back.
Would it make things better this regional devolution? Everything is pretty much London centric, even if England devolved as a whole I don’t think that would change, but if it devolved regionally, would the bigger cities benefit at the expense of the smaller towns?

Sepp Blatter

Goat Molester
Patron
Would it make things better this regional devolution? Everything is pretty much London centric, even if England devolved as a whole I don’t think that would change, but if it devolved regionally, would the bigger cities benefit at the expense of the smaller towns?
That's a very good question - and, I agree, which is why regional devolution seems better.

That could well happen, but at least you are closer to the regional parliament to address your concerns.

Plus, it is probably going to happen anyway - once cities like Birmingham, Manchester, and Leeds become part of the London commuter belt due to HS2, that is going to hollow out small towns anyway. With more regional control, perhaps it is possible to find solutions for that.

Regardless

Forum Patron
Patron

I only just noticed that the question differed from the thread title!! I voted as if the question was about independence. And I voted No.

Mer5eywhite

Forum Patron
Patron
BBC has already decided London and England are separate anyway.
At the start of the COVID 19 thing, the BBC had a map of the UK with cases on it updated daily. For about a fortnight it had quoted figures for London and also the highest in England.
Note: Not the highest in the REST of England.