PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Enough is Enough

For me it wasn't a need to come off social media, more a realisation that it added nothing to my quality of life. I was no better off with social media, I'm no worse off without it.

But I think the issue here around sports people and others in the public eye is that it isn't possible to stay clear of comments when they're being targeted at them, often through direct messages. Something has to give, this 'just ignore it' attitude helps nobody.
Thats a completely different scenario. The one I was linking was more to some of the replies to this thread.

How many posters within this thread, that have 'had to come off social media' have realistically been directly targeted for abuse? I'd say probably none, as it wasn't referenced as example or a reason for coming off social media in the examples above.

Ha, this is me Raef.... I have the grand total of 5 friends on Facebook... they are genuine people that i want to be friends with

Two of them are my son and his wife which is great because through them i get to see what is happening with my Grandkids..... Photos etc

Its funny that you talk about family history through facebook - i have a distant cousin in America who i didnt know existed and he contacted me through facebook out of the blue.

With big help from facebook, he managed to trace our family history on my Mums side back to 1800 and he published a recent family tree chart with photos of everyone, the majority of which were taken from facebook.

It turned out that My Mums Grandad had 8 siblings, 6 of whom had emigrated to the USA ( Michigan ) in 1913 and as a result, there are now 526 of my distant cousins living out there !!!!
This is interesting mate. Did the emigration to Michigan have anything to do with Henry Ford inventing the Model T and creating the first assembly lines i.e. work. I have family too who emigrated to Michigan in the early 60's and worked in the Motor industry.

I still use FB and Twitter, but stopped using other platforms some time ago, and try and limit my usage on the platforms I do use. Interestingly I've just replied to a comment on the PNE post and it was implied by others that I was doing nothing more than "virtue signalling" and it wouldn't work as it was a drop in the ocean. When the post about stopping online abuse attracts negativity you know something's seriously wrong.

P.S. I'm having fish and chips for tea.

H
I still use FB and Twitter, but stopped using other platforms some time ago, and try and limit my usage on the platforms I do use. Interestingly I've just replied to a comment on the PNE post and it was implied by others that I was doing nothing more than "virtue signalling" and it wouldn't work as it was a drop in the ocean. When the post about stopping online abuse attracts negativity you know something's seriously wrong.

P.S. I'm having fish and chips for tea.
Had fish and chips last night. 😀

This is interesting mate. Did the emigration to Michigan have anything to do with Henry Ford inventing the Model T and creating the first assembly lines i.e. work. I have family too who emigrated to Michigan in the early 60's and worked in the Motor industry.
That’s a very good question Si, but I don’t know the answer..... I think my relatives worked in construction.

I am going to contact someone and find out ......

That’s a very good question Si, but I don’t know the answer..... I think my relatives worked in construction.

I am going to contact someone and find out ......
Would be interesting to know. Also if you could shoehorn a visit to meet them then Ford Field for NFL and the Baseball Park across the road in Detroit are probably both in my top 5 sporting venues. Highly recommended

Would be interesting to know. Also if you could shoehorn a visit to meet them then Ford Field for NFL and the Baseball Park across the road in Detroit are probably both in my top 5 sporting venues. Highly recommended
Great recommendations, thanks Si.

I have Facebook, Instagram and Twitter accounts but rarely post anything, just use them for family updates. My view of them is that they are only harmful to me if I am daft enough to read and take seriously what's written by some stranger whose opinion has no relevance to me. Why would I want to do that?

I'm a regular user of Twitter and Facebook. For me, there are obvious positives and negatives to both - I've become 'friends'/follow/followed by some great people and we regularly have a good laugh. Facebook, I particularly like the groups and that's what I mainly use it for.

Having said that, I've been very critical of the standard of moderation on both platforms - unfortunately I've seen first hand the vile nature of some people on them, included how one West Brom fan harassed a former friend of his (including his family) yet Twitter failed to do anything despite numerous reports.

Signed out of FB on my iPad but totally forgot to do it on my phone. Merrily reading FB about the taking off by ITV of Viewpoint tonight then remembered and logged out of that too. It’s quite hard when you are on a few times a day hence I have had to sign out so I don’t forget.

Signed out of FB on my iPad but totally forgot to do it on my phone. Merrily reading FB about the taking off by ITV of Viewpoint tonight then remembered and logged out of that too. It’s quite hard when you are on a few times a day hence I have had to sign out so I don’t forget.
Yeah it’s so pervasive isn’t it? There’s a documentary on Netflix called the social dilemma about how they build these platforms to build addiction. Scary stuff.

What happened to innocent until proved guilty ?? Noel Clarke hasn’t been found guilty yet but , ITV have been quick to pull the trigger on Viewpoint.......