European Super League

Double J

Forum Patron
Patron
Being announced tonight. Headed by Madrid and Manchester United. Of the ‘big six’ in England, only Manchester City didn’t sign up.

Wont feature any German or French teams either.

OP
Double J

Double J

Forum Patron
Patron
I don’t know the ins and outs of it.

By look of it, Liverpool for example could get relegated to League 1 and still be playing in it as they’re one of the ‘founding members’

Means teams like Leicester will also be playing for the title or a Europa League place at best. ‘Top 4’ will effectively be no more.

I could be wrong, a lot of confusion atm.

From91

Forum Patron
Patron
Let them have it, they’ll soon get bored when they don’t win every game.

PL should call their bluff and revoke their membership if they go through with it, effectively ends any hope of other teams getting to the very top, not sure if legally they could do this but the other voting members have surely got some clout too.

OP
Double J

Double J

Forum Patron
Patron
Let them go and cancel their premier league membership. One or the other.
The premier league won’t do that though.
It’s replacing the Champions League. Be a league format rather than a group and knockout format.
Under the new rules though, the ‘founding’ members are always guranteed a place. So Liverpool could be relegated 2 seasons in a row and still be playing it.

Got the Uefa conference league as well next season. For teams finishing 7th in Prem.

portisheadpete

Forum Patron
Patron
It’s replacing the Champions League. Be a league format rather than a group and knockout format.
Under the new rules though, the ‘founding’ members are always guranteed a place. So Liverpool could be relegated 2 seasons in a row and still be playing it.

Got the Uefa conference league as well next season. For teams finishing 7th in Prem.

I thought you were taking the piss. But I just looked it up and it appears to be insane but true. Is it possible for them to introduce a Renault van trophy for teams playing in white that come 16th in the national 2nd tier.......... Thought they might draw the line there.

Ando60

Hat Trick Hero
Patron
How the fuck can you have a European Super league without City, PSG, Bayern etc?
They should call it the European Pretty Good league.
According to the Sky News “ Breaking News “ there are 6 English teams signed up to it.....

It said “ The Top 6 English clubs “ , so that includes City surely ??

OP
Double J

Double J

Forum Patron
Patron
City have signed up today after not agreeing originally.

Financed by some American bloke to the tune of 4.6 billion.

City
United
Chelsea
Arsenal
Spurs
Liverpool
Inter Milan
AC Milan
Juventus
Barcelona
Real Madrid
Athletico Madrid

Bayern and PSG etc from the German and French leagues yet to sign up but are expected to do so.

Will also be a closed shop, Leicester could win the league and not be able to play in it.

OP
Double J

Double J

Forum Patron
Patron
Premier League have released a statement condemning the league. Saying it undermines the domestic leagues etc.

Probably change their tune when they realise they’ll get 300 million a year out of it.

OP
Double J

Double J

Forum Patron
Patron
I've not looked into this at all.
How does that work?
Tbh I don’t know the ins and out myself. But for a countries teams to compete in this league they’ll get ‘x’ amount of money as they won’t be playing in domestic competitions.

UEFA have mow said anyone who plays in this league wont be welcome in their competions.
Champions League final next year of Burnley vs Getafe then.

This super league will be invitation only. Looks like teams could actually leave their domestic leagues to play in it.