European Super League

Sepp Blatter

Liz Truss Groupie
Patron
I agree - the ideas in that Sun article seem to be someone's wishful thinking.

I think it's more likely the Prem's "strategic review" will be shelved and the Big 6 told to STFU for a while.
Talking of Greece, I keep meaning to ask why you chose that username, if you don't mind the question.

jgriff2296

Forum Patron
Patron
Because one is Pro British = less trouble in the main.

Because the other is Pro Irish (no problem) and sings IRA Songs (Massive Problem).
I've been to matches involving both those clubs (a long time ago I must admit) and whilst I don't approve of IRA songs being sung my recollections are of far more trouble from the Rangers fans than the Celtic fans. I'm sure that, as with most clubs, the trouble makers are a smallish minority.
Allowing one club in and not the other is a recipe for trouble. Personally I'd not invite either.

Cappy RSA

Forum Patron
Patron
I've been to matches involving both those clubs (a long time ago I must admit) and whilst I don't approve of IRA songs being sung my recollections are of far more trouble from the Rangers fans than the Celtic fans. I'm sure that, as with most clubs, the trouble makers are a smallish minority.
Allowing one club in and not the other is a recipe for trouble. Personally I'd not invite either.
Rangers fans see themselves as being British. The other lot dont and dont want to be in general. They can play across the water against Dublin and Balygobackwards and the like. Them joining has been talked about much longer than the still born ESL. It would be a death nail for the rest of the Scottish clubs. Rangers and Celtic wouldn't get their annual chance being ridiculed in European comps. Anyway once the SNP romp it in the coming elections it wont fit their political agenda.

Sepp Blatter

Liz Truss Groupie
Patron
The problem with the IRA songs is that, although mostly sung about the old IRA (which is legitimate), most people don't know that, and understandably associate it with modern group.

Not helped by some Celtic idiots who do sing the praises of the modern IRA, of course. Some of the Rangers songs are just as vile.

To be honest, it is all old history and it is time to move on.

Sepp Blatter

Liz Truss Groupie
Patron
The Atlantic League is another idea - one that I think has some merit - which covers Scandinavia, Scotland, The Netherlands, and Belgium.

nigelscamelcoat

Advisor to the Owner
I'd love to see the German way of club ownership here especially 'our' club. A lot of obstacles in the way of succeeding. Really informative article belowas. Never knew Bayern Munich were so good at chess.

Tark

Manager
EzW7VXaUUAYAsC1

EzW7VXRVEAAuJlj
Perfect

Ando60

Hat Trick Hero
Patron
@KeithLard

Recently turning into one of my favourite must read posters.

Disagree about the FA Cup has died though.

I love it, R3 Draw and R3 Day. It's what dreams are made of.
Totally agree about Round 3..... Magical Day.

I remember when I was at school ( St Cuthbert Mayne } I used to smuggle my radio into school on the Monday of round 3 draw day and it was brilliant listening to the draw at 12-30 !!!

Ando60

Hat Trick Hero
Patron
There was a bloke on radio this morning claiming that a main reason for opposing the ESL was that it would take away the excitement of finishing in the top 4 of the PL. That one must have passed me by. Complete illusion and fabricated excitement by the media.
Fabricated entirely by Sky , Pete....

norky84

Advisor to the Owner
Fabricated entirely by Sky , Pete....
Sadly that is true. I've seen a few Sky taking over in 1992 is to blame. I don't think that at all. The standard of football, pitch, stadium has massively improved. Sky have had some benefits to our game.

portisheadpete

Forum Patron
Patron
Sadly that is true. I've seen a few Sky taking over in 1992 is to blame. I don't think that at all. The standard of football, pitch, stadium has massively improved. Sky have had some benefits to our game.

Those benefits are largely irrelevant if the product is less entertaining. I guess my measure of that is the level of competitiveness which I would argue has diminished across the Leagues. Others have a different measure which includes being able to fill their faces before half time and getting a hardon over a VAR decision. I didn't mind the pissy Ewood Park bogs.

norky84

Advisor to the Owner
Those benefits are largely irrelevant if the product is less entertaining. I guess my measure of that is the level of competitiveness which I would argue has diminished across the Leagues. Others have a different measure which includes being able to fill their faces before half time and getting a hardon over a VAR decision. I didn't mind the pissy Ewood Park bogs.
Was it more competitive pre 1992? Bar 1981 and 1992, there was an 10 year period where Arsenal, Everton and Liverpool were the only teams to win the league.

You have to go back to the mid 60s the last time time 6 different clubs in a row won the league.

Don't get me wrong, there is a lot wrong with the current product. VAR and that horrendous offside rule for shirt sleeves for a start. I just don't think Sky buying the rights in 1992 is where the demise of English football began.