PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

European Super League

Was it more competitive pre 1992? Bar 1981 and 1992, there was an 10 year period where Arsenal, Everton and Liverpool were the only teams to win the league.

You have to go back to the mid 60s the last time time 6 different clubs in a row won the league.

Don't get me wrong, there is a lot wrong with the current product. VAR and that horrendous offside rule for shirt sleeves for a start. I just don't think Sky buying the rights in 1992 is where the demise of English football began.
I think the pyramid has become a whole lot more difficult to climb, since then. Relegated clubs come down with a massive financial advantage over the other clubs. Doesn't always work but more often than not they quickly return.

The problem for those that dont are massive

I think the pyramid has become a whole lot more difficult to climb, since then. Relegated clubs come down with a massive financial advantage over the other clubs. Doesn't always work but more often than not they quickly return.

The financial gap between the premier league clubs has widened massively since 1992. The premier league player 'farms' are a development since 1992.

Parachute payments are one thing that needs looking at I agree.

Was it more competitive pre 1992? Bar 1981 and 1992, there was an 10 year period where Arsenal, Everton and Liverpool were the only teams to win the league.

You have to go back to the mid 60s the last time time 6 different clubs in a row won the league.

Don't get me wrong, there is a lot wrong with the current product. VAR and that horrendous offside rule for shirt sleeves for a start. I just don't think Sky buying the rights in 1992 is where the demise of English football began.

My measure of competitiveness is much wider than how many different teams win the league. Its about hunger and desire on the pitch. I convinced less and less that Im watching 2 teams that are busting a gut to win a game these days. Im afraid it boils down to big money contracts and guaranteed TV revenue streams delinked from performance. Hell, youre even rewarded for relegation. Perverse incentives mean that many games are played out as virtual friendlies.

This is quite true but it was still more competitive back then. Just look at some of the teams who finished in the top 3 - Watford, Ipswich, WHU, Southampton - in those years, and there were others. Plus teams back then had smallish squads and didn't buy up all the available talent and having them sit on the bench.

This is quite true but it was still more competitive back then. Just look at some of the teams who finished in the top 3 - Watford, Ipswich, WHU, Southampton - in those years, and there were others. Plus teams back then had smallish squads and didn't buy up all the available talent and having them sit on the bench.

And not one 3 oclock kickoff today in the 1st Div. Traditions trashed.

Last edited:
Rangers - Yes.

Celtic - No.
What would be the difference between Celtic and Rangers leaving the Scottish league and the effect it would have on the rest of the clubs and the 6 leaving the Prem and joining the ESL?
If that happened, the ones that let it happen would be no better than the crooks trying to start up the ESL.

Those with integrity.
The only thing he got wrong was the number of clubs.

He should have said pretty much every other club in the world - or rather, the ownership of every other club in the world, including ours - would have taken the super league offer, had their club been deemed big enough to receive an invitation.