PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Euxton Training Ground

You do wonder why he keeps ploughing in £600k + every month. If PNE is a drain on his resources, why is he doing this? He doesn't strike you as the kind of bloke who would be sentimental about his local football club, but then none of us know him personally (not that I'm aware of).

The endless and increasing £600k + each month begs another question: why not go the extra step to attempt to secure promotion? Just a guess, but maybe because the Premier League really is a different level financially speaking and that £600k + could quickly become millions each month?

As fans most of us just look at is as 'let's get promoted, take the £90+ million, enjoy our season in the limelight and retreat with our tail between our legs'. But it doesn't work like that in reality. It can be done though, as other clubs have proved. Money talks, you do need a benefactor and we have one.

So as you intimate, if TH is so good at planning ahead then why does there not appear to be a realistic plan for PNE to achieve promotion?

Regarding the training ground, really we should do what we were supposed to do and create the training ground on Walker Lane. I would be totally against houses going on that land.

Other than by selling the club, which seems highly unlikely at the price he's supposedly asking, I can see no other way for him to get a good proportion of his money back and get into a position where he doesn't have to keep pumping in around £6m-£7m a year, than to really have a go at promotion to the PL. He could try to get the club into a break-even situation by having a fire sale and drastically cutting wages but that would inevitably mean at least one relegation and he wouldn't recoup any of his investment.

For him right now it's a relatively low cost access to immense social capital in the city, with the ability to leverage it into contacts in all sorts of areas. Such as, for instance, land for housing developments. And if we ever fluke PL football, he hits a jackpot.

It does seem a very expensive way to gain social capital but as Tugg says, he doesn't seem the type to be doing it out of a deep love for his local club - he's a hard-headed businessman - so you may well be right.

I think that the thing about the Ingol development is that there is more to it than just the training ground.
The training ground even though the land has been “bought” by PNE is “supposedly to be built from profits fro the houses not by the football club.
There is also the parkland part of the deal which has to be created as part of the deal which was said to be maintained in per pituitary.

I suppose he could buy the Euxton site for a youth academy but I don’t know if he could build houses on Springfields.

I would think that if he didn’t fulfill the promises at Ingol soon the Hemmings family name would be lower than a snakes belly in these parts, not sure they will bother too much though.

The site as a whole is 16,000 sq m smaller than Springies, 9 acres compared to 13 acres. While undoubtedly better than Springies, the accomodation area doesn't seem to be anything special, the size of it alone means there's no indoor training facility, which is one of the things we lack, and would have at Ingol. Personally I wouldn't be particularly keen on us moving outside the city either.

Would like to see us amend the plans at Ingol, if and when it gets built, to include something like this https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2020/0723/1155185-gaa-dome/

That cost €3m (£2.8m), but even a full sized football pitch would only need to be 60% of the size, based on that could probably be built for around £2m. Might be a lot of money but it would give us a full size indoor training pitch that could be used year round and completely private too, no need to worry about anyone watching training.

The lack of houses around might make putting an indoor facility up easier, but then maybe the pitches are so good no days are lost in bad weather so an indoor pitch isn't needed?

It is also of course far more private than Springfields. Not sure how Ingol would eventually look but if it's surrounded by houses, paths and a park then this might also not be the most private.

The other positive with Euxton is how much easier it would be for the players to get to. I can't imagine getting to Springfields is enjoyable though it will be better once the new M55 junction is open but it would be ideal for anyone travelling from Manchester way and well all directions really with the M61 a mile or so away.

I suppose he could buy the Euxton site for a youth academy but I don’t know if he could build houses on Springfields.

I was under the impression that Springfields is on a lease of some sort (leasehold potentially), despite the club buying the complex in 2002.

Would have thought we'd be interested, stops the academy hiring out the Sports Arena and especially with the development plan for Springfields with the new building, if it ever happens that is.

Could Euxton be built on just out of interest? Seems like a bit of a turn-on for the Hemmings family being able to build some houses.

I think most people know the answer to that. He's canny is our Trev. You don't get to where he is without planning way, way ahead.

So canny he's put £50m plus into a second tier football club with an average gate of 12000 with no hope of any return. I won't be trusting him with my pension, put it that way!

I was under the impression that Springfields is on a lease of some sort (leasehold potentially), despite the club buying the complex in 2002.

Would have thought we'd be interested, stops the academy hiring out the Sports Arena and especially with the development plan for Springfields with the new building, if it ever happens that is.

Could Euxton be built on just out of interest? Seems like a bit of a turn-on for the Hemmings family being able to build some houses.

Suspect if Hemmings believes it would make more financial sense to buy Euxton rather than go ahead with the minor development at Springfields. He can then keep dangling the carrot of Ingol for the long term.

I wouldn't have thought it would be in the best place to be built on being right next to the college & near Buckshaw.

I wouldn't have thought it would be in the best place to be built on being right next to the college & near Buckshaw.

Can’t imagine that would be much of an issue. It’s got great access on Euxton Lane. No work vehicles would need to come through Buckshaw Village and with the Tesco and industrial units being on the other side of the railway, the closest houses are still a considerable distance away.

Edit: Sorry thought you meant built on as in training complex, rather than redevelopment for houses

He must still have some form of presence at Euxton. His helicopter is spotted regularly flying back from IOM

Yeah the house that’s been knocked down and is now being redeveloped is his but wasn’t his “house”. The stables etc. are still at the back of the new development. His house and where he lands the helicopter are further up toward the M6.

He must still have some form of presence at Euxton. His helicopter is spotted regularly flying back from IOM
As i said in an earlier post he is still very much connected in Euxton. The Dower House on Dawbers Lane is listed as the registered office for most of the "Hemway" group.

So basically, this is it folks, in other words, forget this ever happening as no doubt if anything resembling daylight appears, they'll find another reason to slow things down.

PNE's proposed new state-of-the-art training ground at Ingol has stalled, with a club statement earlier this year saying that the financing of the training ground could only be based on the delivery of the profit from the whole of the housing development. Back in February, North End said that the club had still not received any substantive return from the housing planning were 'unlikely to do so for a number of years'.

Plus LancsLive should proof read before posting live regards that last line given the word "and" is missing.

The lack of houses around might make putting an indoor facility up easier, but then maybe the pitches are so good no days are lost in bad weather so an indoor pitch isn't needed?

It is also of course far more private than Springfields. Not sure how Ingol would eventually look but if it's surrounded by houses, paths and a park then this might also not be the most private.

The other positive with Euxton is how much easier it would be for the players to get to. I can't imagine getting to Springfields is enjoyable though it will be better once the new M55 junction is open but it would be ideal for anyone travelling from Manchester way and well all directions really with the M61 a mile or so away.

It's actually closer to Deepdale than it is to the University of Bolton Stadium or the DW.

They must want more than a tenner for it , or we’re going to sign a striker for that amount. Remember we can’t have both .

They must want more than a tenner for it , or we’re going to sign a striker for that amount. Remember we can’t have both .

You've just answered the question..... He will keep the money in his pocket for those bloody horses!!