Ever or Never Again?

giro

Manager
Can't speak for every player, but in the most unsurprising twist to this, Paul Huntington was in Tesco, and another fan got chatting with him. They must have been chewing the fat for a good 10 minutes, and he came across happy to be there and talking to a PNE fan every time I passed them.
What did Hunts say. “Are you paying cash or card and would you like a bag with that?”

bryan bolton

Reserve
Sad.

Soon there won't be anyone left alive who can remember us in the First Division let alone remember us lifting the cup.:cry:
I'm still clinging on by the fingernails and remember watching some of the 54 final through curwen's electrical shop window in Miller Arcade, TV's was a luxury back in that day! I was 8 at the time and got hooked on North End 🙄

ernest

Advisor to the Owner
How can I say "never again" after being here since 1954? I'm not the oldest or longest serving supporter either 😮 I think ernest could give me a run for my money ;)???

I am not certain whether the date you mention is when you entered the world or when you started supporting the club. I actually saw my first game on Easter Monday 1963 PNE 0 Grimsby Town 0, but I only really got into supporting the side in the following season - the great 63-64 campaign that saw us just miss out on promotion and get to the FA Cup Final. The first FA Cup game I ever saw was the 1-0 win over Nottingham Forest in the 3rd Round Replay at our place at the start of that great run. At least I know what winning in the Cup - and when the Cup really meant something - feels like and I can tell you it is amazing. That is why I am not just dismayed but increasingly angry about what happened on Saturday. It wasn't just a defeat - I can cope with that - it was an affront to what this club is meant to be and that is not something that should be brushed aside.

smilingtommyt

Youth Team
I'm still clinging on by the fingernails and remember watching some of the 54 final through curwen's electrical shop window in Miller Arcade, TV's was a luxury back in that day! I was 8 at the time and got hooked on North End 🙄
Got my first season ticket in 1947. Remember going to the 54 semi final in a Bond minicar (uncle driving,) and scared stiff at being level with the hub caps of buses.
Waymsn, Baxter,Thompson,Docherty, etc. All great players. Played SheffnWed off the park that day.
Many great memories of those days when we were one of the top teams in Div 1 with full house every week. But as now the club did not plan ahead so when Finney left the nosedive began.

KeithLard

Advisor to the Owner
That’s it in a nutshell. For all the fitter, better technical players, modern Football is becoming boring. Pass sideways, backwards, shit refereeing, diving players, childish celebrations, going back to the Keeper from a throw in 20 yards inside the opposition half, time wasting. zzzzzzzzzz.
Absolutely this.

I don't understand everybody seems to attempt to play "Pep ball" with goalies and defenders passing it about aimlessly for the first 30 minutes of every match. 90% of teams are doing this.

For all Man City's qualities, they are incredibly boring to watch, unless they are getting beat and they have to up tempo.

Whoever said short passing is exciting is wrong. Direct attacking, meaningful crossing, taking on the man, pace, strikers with strong heading ability, strong tackles, these are all what make the game exciting. Fuck your passing 5 yards, its lazy.

royribble

Forum Patron
Patron
I am not certain whether the date you mention is when you entered the world or when you started supporting the club. I actually saw my first game on Easter Monday 1963 PNE 0 Grimsby Town 0, but I only really got into supporting the side in the following season - the great 63-64 campaign that saw us just miss out on promotion and get to the FA Cup Final. The first FA Cup game I ever saw was the 1-0 win over Nottingham Forest in the 3rd Round Replay at our place at the start of that great run. At least I know what winning in the Cup - and when the Cup really meant something - feels like and I can tell you it is amazing. That is why I am not just dismayed but increasingly angry about what happened on Saturday. It wasn't just a defeat - I can cope with that - it was an affront to what this club is meant to be and that is not something that should be brushed aside.
Oh you're only a young 'un ernest. I was born in '46 and attended my first game in '54 aged eight. My memory isn't as good as yours, I can remember the crowds, the noise and the cinders in my knees from the track around the pitch. I was taken on by my Dad who met up with his two brothers (my uncles). Oh what a great feeling it was waiting for my Dad to get home from work, often just half an hour before kick off and running down Blackpool Rd to the ground. I don't think I'll ever be able to turn my back on the club.

I quite agree with your sentiments regarding the MANNER of the defeat. Like you, I have learnt to take defeat in my stride, lets face it, if you support PNE you have to learn, however, as you say, it wasn't just a defeat, it was gross negligence at the very least. Thankfully, we were not there to witness that utter shambles.