PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Ever or Never Again?

Mer5eywhite

Patron
Every now and again I watch the old matches on YouTube. Highlights of the play-off semis, Nogan and Arsenal in the cup, the big derbies etc etc.

Feeling pissed off with North End today so I watched some again this evening. It always leaves me wondering if we’ll ever get those times back.

The unity in the club between fans and players and management which took off in the mid 90s and seemed to me to last until about 2010. Players busting a gut for the shirt, commentators regularly praising the atmosphere at Deepdale, do you think we’ll ever get that feeling back?

We will get them back, its upto the Fans to get them back, no Player or Manager will keep this good club down. They come and go so we will get the good times back sadly we got to ride the Storm. We will once again get a Manager that will unite club and fans and the events we are currently suffering will be a distant Memory. Riddler, Hemmings Neil and Co are short term. Fans are long term and we will once again see the good times.

Keep the Faith.

We will one day, but we will need owners / managers within the club who can generate some enthusiasm and excitement around the Football.

Hemmings and Riddler keep pretty much every facet of the ‘off the pitch’ side in a very drab and uninspired place, whilst AN’s offering on the pitch is seldom one which gets the pulse racing.

Watching PNE at present is more like an obligation and chore, albeit one that can occasionally be ‘alright’ in short bursts.

I look forward to the day when PNE is a non-negotiable excitement in my life again.

We will get them back, its upto the Fans to get them back, no Player or Manager will keep this good club down. They come and go so we will get the good times back sadly we got to ride the Storm. We will once again get a Manager that will unite club and fans and the events we are currently suffering will be a distant Memory. Riddler, Hemmings Neil and Co are short term. Fans are long term and we will once again see the good times.

Keep the Faith.
Hang on - you just contradicted yourself.

Every now and again I watch the old matches on YouTube. Highlights of the play-off semis, Nogan and Arsenal in the cup, the big derbies etc etc.

Feeling pissed off with North End today so I watched some again this evening. It always leaves me wondering if we’ll ever get those times back.

The unity in the club between fans and players and management which took off in the mid 90s and seemed to me to last until about 2010. Players busting a gut for the shirt, commentators regularly praising the atmosphere at Deepdale, do you think we’ll ever get that feeling back?
Did the same - vid clip against Arse 22 years back when the Duck got shredded - "Goose"bump time.

Yes BAXI - Brian Gray - Moyes - well done Derek - King Billy halcyon days and all did it well loony John Beck to some extent but these pail into insignificance as to who and what took us to in 1986.

We're just treading (stagnant) water and playing at it.

That’s it in a nutshell. For all the fitter, better technical players, modern Football is becoming boring. Pass sideways, backwards, shit refereeing, diving players, childish celebrations, going back to the Keeper from a throw in 20 yards inside the opposition half, time wasting. zzzzzzzzzz.

I can, of course, remember Cup matches well before the 90s indeed back in the 60s - not just the run all the way to Wembley in 64 but beating the mighty Spurs two years later and very nearly beating the MUFC of Best, Law, Charlton. Even now if I drive through Birmingham on the M6 the sight of Villa Park in the distance still takes me back to the Semi-Final. Quite simply exultation of winning FA Cup matches when it really meant something is still the most intense feeling I have ever had supporting this team. So experiences like yesterday leave me particularly flat - I can stand defeat, after all we have been 'knocked out' of the Cup in every season I have supported the team albeit just once in the Final itself - but to go out abjectly, ignominiously is still something that feels wrong.

Sure the FA Cup has been downgraded by the rise of the Premier League but the only way it can be made to retain even regain its proper prestige is by clubs and supporters approaching it in the right spirit - one of excitement and enthusiasm. We have never done that under AN - though curiously we have shown some spirit in the League Cup (as I prefer to call it) - and I begin to feel we never will. But perhaps in the longer term this run of three successive exits at the first hurdle will be a blip and we will have a sequence of successive Cup 'runs'. This team does have a habit of subjecting us all to extremes and it would be nice if things balanced up.

But as I said after the match yesterday that performance and something else that happened in the last week don't coincide with what I think this club ought to represent.

No

I think the gap between the players and supporters has never been as big. They come across as aloof at present.

I had the misfortune of bumping in to two players in Tesco once and the ignorance displayed when my daughter simply asked if they were in the queue was unbelievable.

unfortunately the money involved these days and the hype they think surrounds them that gulf will always be there.

No

I think the gap between the players and supporters has never been as big. They come across as aloof at present.

I had the misfortune of bumping in to two players in Tesco once and the ignorance displayed when my daughter simply asked if they were in the queue was unbelievable.

unfortunately the money involved these days and the hype they think surrounds them that gulf will always be there.

Can't speak for every player, but in the most unsurprising twist to this, Paul Huntington was in Tesco, and another fan got chatting with him. They must have been chewing the fat for a good 10 minutes, and he came across happy to be there and talking to a PNE fan every time I passed them.

Can't speak for every player, but in the most unsurprising twist to this, Paul Huntington was in Tesco, and another fan got chatting with him. They must have been chewing the fat for a good 10 minutes, and he came across happy to be there and talking to a PNE fan every time I passed them.
Hunts is different class though. Bit unfair of me to tar all players with the brush. I’ll go for 90% 😉

When you're on the fringes of the first team you love any attention you get from the fans !

Only joking I'm sure Paul is a wonderful down to earth person.

No

Name and shame! :)

How can I say "never again" after being here since 1954? I'm not the oldest or longest serving supporter either 😮 I think ernest could give me a run for my money ;)???

How can I say "never again" after being here since 1954? I'm not the oldest or longest serving supporter either 😮 I think ernest could give me a run for my money ;)???

Same here, 1954, Charlie Wayman was my hero but I was only seven, didn’t understand what all these old farts were going on about this Finney guy.

Same here, 1954, Charlie Wayman was my hero but I was only seven, didn’t understand what all these old farts were going on about this Finney guy.

Sad.

Soon there won't be anyone left alive who can remember us in the First Division let alone remember us lifting the cup.:cry: