PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Exam results

This algorithm, probably written by Cummings, shows up these shysters for exactly what they are.

"Were going to level things up!"

Fuck off you tory twats, a Leopard plain and simply will never ever change its spots.

They need an underclass to put the fear of God into the working and middle classes so that they continue to Beaver away to enable the fat lazy bastards to sit on their arses counting money that they will never ever need.

Oh

Good morning everyone :)
Cummings. Ha ha ha ha.

I love that guy.

Having gone through this yesterday with my daughter (who fortunately got what she needed), most of her friends have had grades given by the teachers downgraded by the exam board. They can actually see what their tutors gave them before any adjustment. So there does seem to be some issue with how these grades are being calculated, whether it is tutors overegging grades, or the algorithm used by the exam board I don't know, but it's a shit show. Lots of kids having to retake exams in October and therefore deferring for a year. On the Mock exam issue, my understanding is they were only a "triple lock" - used as a backup when kids weren't happy with their results as a means of appeal, but many kids don't do as well in mocks as they do in the final exams as they just don't place as much importance on them, hence they shouldn't be used for calculating final grades.

Or the teachers know what they’ve been taught so far, tell them which questions they should be doing, and mark them As appropriate based on that. Mocks are normally January(or were in some schools) so not exactly yonks ago

It’s not rocket science Libs whereas you seem to think that resitting an exam and slicing it up for each school depending on their schemes of work after 6 months out of school is “just a bit of organisation” for all parties involved. Did you go to a school?

Then why not do it again? You told me the boat had sailed but by your own admission it is possible. January is yonks ago ( about 7 months ago which is yonks in a years worth of learning in my book)... Yes I went to school and I can for sure stipulate that this formula is causing a shitstorm and won't go away but mine wouldn't ( if you wanted it to work )..Bloody defeatists everywhere spending precious resource on making excuses and backtracking....

Anyway it doesn't matter now because that fuckwit Williamson has blurted out the truth.... Great for the kids ( some of them) eh?

Last edited:
Then why not do it again? You told me the boat had sailed but by your own admission it is possible. January is yonks ago ( about 7 months ago which is yonks in a years worth of learning in my book)... Yes I went to school and I can for sure stipulate that this formula is causing a shitstorm and won't go away but mine wouldn't ( if you wanted it to work )..Bloody defeatists everywhere spending precious resource on making excuses and backtracking....

Anyway it doesn't matter now because that fuckwit Williamson has blurted out the truth.... Great for the kids ( some of them) eh?

So I don't know how many school kids take the exams but there were something like 300,000 A level students, so maybe add another 100k to that for high schools, each of those 400k kids takes what maybe 8 GCSEs, So you think those in charge will be able to, and the critical words here are "correctly and effectively", ensure each child knows for each of those 4million exams which questions they are meant to be answering and which to skip, then the same for the exam markers to ensure they know that a blank answer is deliberate or not (not withstanding the people who normally mark the exams are mostly stood at the front of their classroom teaching the kids in school so don't actually have the time to mark the exams whilst delivering their normal workload. And get this done by October? They've had months to make what they had in front of them work and failed miserably it seems judging by what we're reading. Yet you think they'll suddenly become effective and revolutionary? Not going to happen. At least if they start planning for next May and June now we might not be in this mess by then.

You say defeatist, I say realist

So I don't know how many school kids take the exams but there were something like 300,000 A level students, so maybe add another 100k to that for high schools, each of those 400k kids takes what maybe 8 GCSEs, So you think those in charge will be able to, and the critical words here are "correctly and effectively", ensure each child knows for each of those 4million exams which questions they are meant to be answering and which to skip, then the same for the exam markers to ensure they know that a blank answer is deliberate or not (not withstanding the people who normally mark the exams are mostly stood at the front of their classroom teaching the kids in school so don't actually have the time to mark the exams whilst delivering their normal workload. And get this done by October? They've had months to make what they had in front of them work and failed miserably it seems judging by what we're reading. Yet you think they'll suddenly become effective and revolutionary? Not going to happen. At least if they start planning for next May and June now we might not be in this mess by then.

I expect it don't you?.... And I accept it's a mammoth task and I accept everything you've said in general but it's gone tits up big time and needs to be sorted out because it can't be left like this.................... If every single examination result has been screened and adjusted where necessary ( yeah right) then I'm buggerd if they can't re deploy these people and get them working on new and late exams and finding a way to come up with correct results.... Maybe I'm asking the impossible but I don't think so.

Yes realism writ large

This year there were 5.281m individual GCSE exam entries and 818k A and AS entries. So that's 6m subjects needing marking, most of which have 2 or 3 papers. Then try individualising exam papers on the basis of partial completion of the syllabus and then the complexity of establishing which bits of the syllabus havent been completed by each kid.....the permutations are staggering

Then neither should they in the real ones.
If you are suggesting they re-sit GCSEs or A levels in October, it just wouldn't work. The year 11 and 13 kids didn't continue with their learning OR revision after the lockdown because they were told the exams would be scrapped soon after the schools closed. Most concentrated instead on either swotting up on what they hoped would be their forthcoming college courses, or trying to find jobs and apprenticeships. There'd be nobody suitably qualified and with the time to teach them between now and October. And those kids can't now suddenly be told to revise for something in October that they have not been learning since March. It's not just the knowledge of the exam syllabus they need, they need to be taught the exam skills too.

And while we are on the subject.................... How on earth did they cover and vet all those and who did it?.....If memory serves your wife is a teacher so she might know. Genuine question btw because something doesn't add up here unless there's an army of administrators out there that are now doing bugger all.

Yes realism writ large

This year there were 5.281m individual GCSE exam entries and 818k A and AS entries. So that's 6m subjects needing marking, most of which have 2 or 3 papers. Then try individualising exam papers on the basis of partial completion of the syllabus and then the complexity of establishing which bits of the syllabus havent been completed by each kid.....the permutations are staggering

Someones just up and down graded every one of them based on teachers reports and a dodgy algorithm .... So what are you saying, it can't be done?

If you are suggesting they re-sit GCSEs or A levels in October, it just wouldn't work. The year 11 and 13 kids didn't continue with their learning OR revision after the lockdown because they were told the exams would be scrapped soon after the schools closed. Most concentrated instead on either swotting up on what they hoped would be their forthcoming college courses, or trying to find jobs and apprenticeships. There'd be nobody suitably qualified and with the time to teach them between now and October. And those kids can't now suddenly be told to revise for something in October that they have not been learning since March. It's not just the knowledge of the exam syllabus they need, they need to be taught the exam skills too.

I'm feeling a lot of negativity to my original suggestion Harry so why don't all students just skip a year ( 6 months already lost) and do it all again next year?..ie Postpone their lives for 12 months. Much of the Country has already managed half of that thanks to the virus.

Someones just up and down graded every one of them based on teachers reports and a dodgy algorithm .... So what are you saying, it can't be done?
Exam markers are largely current teachers who will spend a few weeks marking exams during their summer holidays. Perhaps if you gave the same people several more weeks off from their jobs in about November to mark a set of exam papers, then cover the lessons they are absent from whilst marking with supply teachers? That will then impact NEXT year's y11 and 13 pupils unfairly.

I'm feeling a lot of negativity to my original suggestion Harry so why don't all students just skip a year ( 6 months already lost) and do it all again next year?..ie Postpone their lives for 12 months. Much of the Country has already managed half of that thanks to the virus.
Repeating the year had been mooted a while ago - but this would have a knock on effect right down the age chain - even down to four year olds hoping to start reception classes - and in any case, thanks to the Government thinking they knew better, any suggestions would now be too late to work.

Exam markers are largely current teachers who will spend a few weeks marking exams during their summer holidays. Perhaps if you gave the same people several more weeks off from their jobs in about November to mark a set of exam papers, then cover the lessons they are absent from whilst marking with supply teachers? That will then impact NEXT year's y11 and 13 pupils unfairly.
Repeating the year had been mooted a while ago - but this would have a knock on effect right down the age chain - even down to four year olds hoping to start reception classes - and in any case, thanks to the Government thinking they knew better, any suggestions would now be too late to work.

I accept all your points H just like Jakes but I won't accept that It's never too late if someone has a mind to do it. If we can navigate ( badly) through months of covid then surely a fair solution can be found for this?.... Maybe if we exclude the government eh? :)

I accept all your points H just like Jakes but I won't accept that It's never too late if someone has a mind to do it. If we can navigate ( badly) through months of covid then surely a fair solution can be found for this?.... Maybe if we exclude the government eh? :)
But thats the point, the Tory govt found a fair solution. One that looks after their own very nicely. You cant get fairer than that.

And while we are on the subject.................... How on earth did they cover and vet all those and who did it?.....If memory serves your wife is a teacher so she might know. Genuine question btw because something doesn't add up here unless there's an army of administrators out there that are now doing bugger all.

So only going on what was done by my partners school but they all prepared details on the classes they taught based on all the metrics they had recorded for each child since they had started at the school and all the test results/mock results along the way and then graded each of the kids as to what they thought they would achieve based on the flight path they've followed for 4 1/2 years. They then had a meeting as a group where they discussed each kids result and then ranked them from top to bottom i.e. from the strongest 9 down to the weakest 1 and that's what was submitted. As exam results tend to follow a sort of Bell curve each year they knew that some might then be adjusted if they had too many 9s for example or some other grade so a weak 9 might slip to an 8 in some cases or a strong 7 became an 8. That was then submitted to the exam boards

Repeat that for every subject and the people who knew exactly what each of those kids had done and achieved in school had been given a grade

And then a statistical algorithm came in and decided what each of those individual kids had actually achieved

So which sounded more accurate and fair? Neither method was going to be perfect and maybe some schools became over generous, or maybe that school had been slowly improving but the statistics that are published hadn't caught up yet.