Expiry Dates

pnewortham

Forum Patron
Patron
Last week we threw out a little jar of Olbas Oil, expiry date 2009.

And a few weeks ago we found a tub of that red squirty sauce for ice cream, expiry date 2005.

riverkiller

Forum Patron
Patron
I love expiry dates. Get yerself a vacuum packing machine (20 quid). Buy severely discounted end of date fresh meat from supermarkets. 6-7pm is a a good time to do this. Go home, seal meat in bag, put bag into slow cooker for 4 hours. When done the contents of the bag are good for a week in the fridge. Although you will have eaten it long before then.

OP
pnewortham

pnewortham

Forum Patron
Patron
I love expiry dates. Get yerself a vacuum packing machine (20 quid). Buy severely discounted end of date fresh meat from supermarkets. 6-7pm is a a good time to do this. Go home, seal meat in bag, put bag into slow cooker for 4 hours. When done the contents of the bag are good for a week in the fridge. Although you will have eaten it long before then.
Top tip (y)

Regardless

Forum Patron
Patron
My eyes and nose are my main Use-by detectors - although I do take some note of the written date. I will give more leeway to things that have a long shelf life. So, if it smells ok, smoked ham/ mackerel can be a few days over. Bread, biscuits, beer can be a week or weeks. Shrimps prob get chucked if 2 days over.

Sid - is it different in Canada? there is a difference between Use-by and Best-before date in the uk. Food that just degrades a bit - losing texture or taste a bit (biscuits, sweets, bread, most tinned food) will have a Best Before date on it. But soft cheese, fresh meat etc, that could be more dangerous have Use-by dates.
I believe it is not illegal to sell stuff after the expiry of a BB date, but not if past a Use-by date.

Sid Snot

Manager - East Cheam FC
Patron
Sid - is it different in Canada? there is a difference between Use-by and Best-before date in the uk.

Good question, Reg. It seems different but only in terminology. We don't use 'Use By', we use 'Expiry Date'...

Bear in mind that all North American cheese has a half-life of 7,000 years!

Or, just take this guy's advice 😂