What's new
PNE-Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Extinction Rebellion, the return of the great unwashed.

Extinction Rebellion

• Genuine people concerned solely with the future of our planet?

• An Anti-Capitalist movement using the fear of children to drive their agenda?

• A bunch of arseholes whose tactics are driving away people who could otherwise support them?

• All of the above

Results are only viewable after voting.

Mer5eywhite

Forum Patron
Patron
Don't qualify as an expert on climate change but, for me, it isn't so much about the level (it has been much, much higher in the past) but the rate of change - one thing that is often forgotten in the drive for reducing emissions is that levels are rising and will continue to do so for some time, so we need to adapt to this inevitability. We should be putting a lot more investment into mitigation - planting trees at the head of rivers, encouraging salt marshes, trying to stop development in areas at risk of flooding, and looking at the type of crops we plant and where.

In all honesty, I only asked because I asked pupils about this a few years ago. I was in a class and they were telling me how dangerous CO2 was and I realised how we weren't educating them, we were actually brainwashing them. THAT'S WHAT PISSES ME OFF.

Some pupil said we should lower it as far as possible, others suggested zero ppm.

After much discussion I reminded them that plants struggle to grow below 150ppm atmospheric CO2 so if the trend had continued without the industrial revolution then plant life would have died out in about 1.5 million years.

Sepp Blatter

Ursula Fanboy
Patron
In all honesty, I only asked because I asked pupils about this a few years ago. I was in a class and they were telling me how dangerous CO2 was and I realised how we weren't educating them, we were actually brainwashing them. THAT'S WHAT PISSES ME OFF.

Some pupil said we should lower it as far as possible, others suggested zero ppm.

After much discussion I reminded them that plants struggle to grow below 150ppm atmospheric CO2 so if the trend had continued without the industrial revolution then plant life would have died out in about 1.5 million years.
It is definitely a very complex subject. One thing that most people forget about when discussing it is the oceans - they are far more important. My concern with climate change is that we risk pushing the oceans to a tipping point where the currents change, which would be pretty devastating for us - that is the problem with chaotic systems!

jakehake

Preachs PA
Staff member
Patron
Not as bad for salt marshes - they tend to trap methane in the sediment. The main problem is that dredging them up for development releases all that methane :(

I forget where but I had a link on an article the other day about the Lake Nyos disaster, hadn't read about that before

Sepp Blatter

Ursula Fanboy
Patron
I forget where but I had a link on an article the other day about the Lake Nyos disaster, hadn't read about that before
Remember watching a BBC Horizon episode about that a while back. This seems a pretty decent account:

outreacher

Respect Nature
Patron
More cock than hoop. Particularly since he's a stiff.
He is a nice dad, had his son with him all day at number 10 for a day out, no doubt to familiarise him with the 'Halls of Power'.

Probably showing him the career, his privileged upbringing, entitles him to. I hope Jacob claimed his full entitlement of expenses for entertaining a future cabinet minister.

Portishead

Forum Patron
Patron
He is a nice dad, had his son with him all day at number 10 for a day out, no doubt to familiarise him with the 'Halls of Power'.

Probably showing him the career, his privileged upbringing, entitles him to. I hope Jacob claimed his full entitlement of expenses for entertaining a future cabinet minister.

Was that Sixtus, Wulfric, Alphege, Dunstan, Anselm, or Spoiltus Twattus.

26-0

Forum Patron
Patron
To be fair, the UK is pretty good when it comes to renewable/zero carbon energy - the country is towards the top of the list when it comes to percentage of energy from renewable sources, and we are at a similar level to Germany and Italy. Even better when you consider that some of the countries above the UK in the list - Norway, Sweden, Brazil, Colombia, New Zealand, and Canada have huge hydroelectric resources.

No fan of the Tory government, but they have done a pretty good job increasing the amount of renewable energy over the past decade.

Apart from onshore wind of course - the cheapest form of energy generation.

Construction plunged by 94% between 2015-2019 because it hurts the profits of their donor friends.

Sepp Blatter

Ursula Fanboy
Patron
Apart from onshore wind of course - the cheapest form of energy generation.

Construction plunged by 94% between 2015-2019 because it hurts the profits of their donor friends.
Interesting - didn't know that they had effectively curtailed development of onshore for a few years (Most of my work covers North America, so I am not always fully aware of developments on this side of the water).

Looks like they have changed tack and there are certainly some projects planned. Offshore certainly continued to grow - I know that the UK was the best in Europe last year for offshore and is planning the huge Dogger Bank project (I believe it will be the largest in the world). When the price of installing offshore facilities has fallen and doesn't attract the same concerns from government, councils, and communities, maybe that proved the easier option - especially when it receives good subsidies. Might look into UK onshore a bit further - seems like I have some catching up to do.

As I said, the UK has been pretty good overall with renewable energy over the past decade.

noelpne

Forum Patron
Patron
Wetlands store CO2 :)

And generate methane :(
Q.
If peat is allowed to be created/increased in existing Peat Bogs/Peat Moors, isn't it the case that this newly-created peat 'locks-in'
methane, denying it's escape ?
( Until we come along and burn it or use in the Horticultural Industry.)

Because Methane is a (bi) product of rotting vegetation & Methane / Marsh Gas / CH4 is a 'Greenhouse Gas'👎.

So, IF we STOP it rotting by creating wetlands with the Plan to make these Wetlands into Peat Bogs ( or/and reinstate existing Peaty areas ) - it's going to be a good thing.

Basically, Peatlands good....Wetlands bad...

nigelscamelcoat

Advisor to the Owner
Q.
If peat is allowed to be created/increased in existing Peat Bogs/Peat Moors, isn't it the case that this newly-created peat 'locks-in'

Because Methane is a (bi) product of rotting vegetation & Methane / Marsh Gas / CH4 is a 'Greenhouse Gas'👎.

So, IF we STOP it rotting by creating wetlands with the Plan to make these Wetlands into Peat Bogs ( or/and reinstate existing Peaty areas ) - it's going to be a good thing.

From what I gather, naturally released methane degrades the disappears quickly enough. When we start to release it through drilling and such there is way too much of it escaping at a high frequency so that the degraded stuff is constantly being replaced.
Stoping drilling and start rewilding so to adsorb more co2.
A massive head of cattle releasing way too much methane too, they also need a whole lot of pasture which takes up land which ought to be wilderness. Add to this field after field of monoculture- maize, soy etc grown to feed the livestock.
It's so out of control, we can't even get rid of all the shit they produce.
I agree that peat Bogs have a part to play, especially to hold water in the uplands.

nigelscamelcoat

Advisor to the Owner
Q.

Natural wetlands good. I was reading that the increase rainfall in some areas of the world has been linked to improved irrigation and a big expansion of paddy fields in neighbouring countries.
I'd have to look it up but I think it was regarding Pakistan.

Portishead

Forum Patron
Patron
If anyone has the time, could you please sign this, why I subscribe to Greenpeace, I'll never know, they are worse than the cat meowing for food.

https://action.greenpeace.org.uk/stop-sewage1?source=EM&subsource=NBRENAPEEM05EG&utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=Stop sewage Sep 2022 PE 20220907&utm_term=Full List

I signed one some time back and now they keep ringing me for money and last time I pleaded Covid sympathy to get off the line. Just ask me along to a demo and I might turn up but badger me on the hoof and I might switch off to something else.

outreacher

Respect Nature
Patron
I signed one some time back and now they keep ringing me for money and last time I pleaded Covid sympathy to get off the line. Just ask me along to a demo and I might turn up but badger me on the hoof and I might switch off to something else.
Exactly, I don't mind joining, Rainbow Warrior for a bit of piracy, but constant emails and asking for money is annoying.