Extinction Rebellion, the return of the great unwashed.

Extinction Rebellion

• Genuine people concerned solely with the future of our planet?

• An Anti-Capitalist movement using the fear of children to drive their agenda?

• A bunch of arseholes whose tactics are driving away people who could otherwise support them?

• All of the above

Results are only viewable after voting.

John T

Manager
And why should you when you’re the one who knows more than the world’s leading climate scientists and economists?
I don't claim to be

I just have my opinion
IF that's allowed anymore on here

And I think it's just as likely to be as valid as a16 year old Girl who has seen hardly anything of life so far
OR a bunch of CELB's who think it's fashionable to hold up traffic in London, but jump back onto Private Jets just when it suits
Am I allowed to have that opinion?

Karcist

Manager
I don't claim to be

I just have my opinion
IF that's allowed anymore on here

And I think it's just as likely to be as valid as a16 year old Girl who has seen hardly anything of life so far
OR a bunch of CELB's who think it's fashionable to hold up traffic in London, but jump back onto Private Jets just when it suits
Am I allowed to have that opinion?
Why is she relevant to your opinion?

Shouldn`t you be taking account of facts, which were established long before she was born?

And the price those younger than you will have to bear for your selfishness and greed?

John T

Manager
Why is she relevant to your opinion?

Shouldn`t you be taking account of facts, which were established long before she was born?

And the price those younger than you will have to bear for your selfishness and greed?
She's expressing her opinion and some are treating it has Gospel even though as I said she has seen relatively little of life yet

So I say at 75 and seen more of life, why cannot I express my view

As to those ‘Facts’ they are mainly a re-hash of what the ‘green brigade’ have been saying a long while, which to many translate to ‘we are all doomed’ unless tou follow what we say

Quite simply I don’t believe it

Karcist

Manager
She's expressing her opinion and some are treating it has Gospel even though as I said she has seen relatively little of life yet

As to those ‘Facts’ they are mainly a re-hash of what the ‘green brigade’ have been saying a long while, which to many translate to ‘we are all doomed’ unless tou follow what we say

Had you down as older.

You have every right to express your opinion on any subject.

Whether you SHOULD, though, is an entirely different matter. :rolleyes:

26-0

Advisor to the Owner

She’s expressing her deep concern that Governments around the world have ignored irrefutable scientific evidence for decades and many still are doing, and the impact that irresponsible inaction is going to have on her and her generation.

And I don’t blame her. In fact I admire her for kicking ass like she has. We should be ashamed that it’s taken a 16 year old schoolgirl to sort us out and prompt us to take some kind of action at long, long last to tackle the most important issue we all face.

It’s not just a throwaway opinion of a 16 year old is it. It’s backed up by research carried out over decades by the world’s top scientists and evidenced by the ever-increasing extreme weather events.

On the contrary your opinion, which I agree you’re entitled to, seems based very much on what the right wing press tell you to think.

And as for your (Thatcherite “hand-wringing merchants of doom”) reference to the “green brigade’s” message for this last half century, don’t you think it might have helped if they’d been taken notice of a lot sooner than they have?

Very sad really that you don’t believe the science but trust all that the biased media has to say.

Give your head a f*ckin wobble man.

26-0

Advisor to the Owner
Anyway, more extreme flooding across the country today - is Boris out and about with his mop like he was in the pre-election floods in South Yorkshire and Derbyshire?

Doing his bit to tackle the climate emergency - or maybe not since the elections done with.

Mop up Boris or lose your borrowed northern votes.

26-0

Advisor to the Owner
Plans to expand Bristol Airport rejected in landmark decision following protests by ER and local residents.

A small step in the right direction. 👍

LancasterRed

Trevor Hemmings Superfan
Patron
XR were in Lancaster the other day. Considering the weather, serious fair play to them for the level of protest they caused.

A few people, either uneducated or ignorant, not acknowledging climate change nearby but it's good to see people fighting for their planet. Valentines Day came first for me though...

26-0

Advisor to the Owner
XR were in Lancaster the other day. Considering the weather, serious fair play to them for the level of protest they caused.

A few people, either uneducated or ignorant, not acknowledging climate change nearby but it's good to see people fighting for their planet. Valentines Day came first for me though...
Soon everyone, including the uneducated and ignorant, will acknowledge climate change as it impacts themselves or those they know.

Sad but inevitable.

edgy

Forum Patron
Patron
Enjoying the XR documentary on Channel 5 - some really interesting insights.
For such intelligent people what where they thinking when they rubber stamped the incident with the tube
I think it said 70 plus percent where against that action - went well didn’t it!!!!
fair play to those who have a true passion for our planet and it’s longevity, I did get the impression that a few where along for the ride though and possibly in a privileged position to do so ?

Sepp Blatter

Goat Molester
Patron
For such intelligent people what where they thinking when they rubber stamped the incident with the tube
I think it said 70 plus percent where against that action - went well didn’t it!!!!
fair play to those who have a true passion for our planet and it’s longevity, I did get the impression that a few where along for the ride though and possibly in a privileged position to do so ?
Agree with you about the tube incident - me and the missus said exactly the same. Apart from putting protesters in danger, we should be applauding people for using public transport, not inconveniencing them!

26-0

Advisor to the Owner
They’re clearly not going to get everything right and their actions are going to cause temporary inconvenience for some people.

But I actually feel that the British people owe them a debt of gratitude for getting the climate crisis up to the top of the agenda and pressuring our Government to begin to take the matter seriously. I hope they continue to protest until immediate meaningful action is taken by the Government.

I’m sure that all of those up and down the country who’ve experienced the devastation of these latest record floods would want that too - people protesting to protect their homes, businesses, livelihoods, communities and futures.

We can afford the £100billion plus (and rising) for HS2, we can consider building a bridge from Scotland to Ireland but we can’t invest in effective flood management across the country at a time of rising sea levels and regular extreme weather events.

To focus on a particular protest which inconvenienced commuters on the Tube is just a distraction from the main issue imho.

ER 👍

26-0

Advisor to the Owner
Make your own minds up.

Our Environment Secretary has just announced £4billion innvestment in flood control measures.

So our Government value a 20 minute reduction in train journey times from London to Birmingham by constructing HS2 as 25 times more important than investing to protecting our existing infrastructure, towns and villages.

Tell me that makes sense.

truenorthender

Advisor to the Owner
Make your own minds up.

Our Environment Secretary has just announced £4billion innvestment in flood control measures.

So our Government value a 20 minute reduction in train journey times from London to Birmingham by constructing HS2 as 25 times more important than investing to protecting our existing infrastructure, towns and villages.

Tell me that makes sense.
Let's never Improve any public services because we live on an island and experience floods.. ok brah

26-0

Advisor to the Owner
Let's never Improve any public services because we live on an island and experience floods.. ok brah
Good response considering so many of our towns and key civil infrastructures such as electricity grids, roads, railways, telecoms, water and waste treatment facilities, ports and airports are located in the valleys and flood risk areas.

Many of our current infrastructures are at risk through direct exposure to flooding and indirectly due to dependency on the electricity network.

So let’s firstly protect the “public services” and key infrastructures we already have before throwing away vital public funds on an expensive, destructive, controversial vanity project like HS2.

But you’re preference is for a 25 fold greater investment in one single rail project than protecting our current infrastructure across the whole country.

truenorthender

Advisor to the Owner
Good response considering so many of our towns and key civil infrastructures such as electricity grids, roads, railways, telecoms, water and waste treatment facilities, ports and airports are located in the valleys and flood risk areas.

Many of our current infrastructures are at risk through direct exposure to flooding and indirectly due to dependency on the electricity network.

So let’s firstly protect the “public services” and key infrastructures we already have before throwing away vital public funds on an expensive, destructive, controversial vanity project like HS2.

But you’re preference is for a 25 fold greater investment in one single rail project than protecting our current infrastructure across the whole country.
It's just something that we have to deal with, making the UK flood proof would probably cost billions... Well it'd be never ending wouldn't it.. we couldn't hold back our progress whilst we fight a never ending battle against mother earth... That HS2 thing. Does it link south to north or just south to Birmingham? Yes I'm ignorant to it because of the negatively attached to it in the news.. I just filter it out :)

truenorthender

Advisor to the Owner

Jeff bezos and Zuckerberg should pay for our floodproofing in exchange for full ideological control of the Facebook cattle

26-0

Advisor to the Owner
It's just something that we have to deal with, making the UK flood proof would probably cost billions... Well it'd be never ending wouldn't it.. we couldn't hold back our progress whilst we fight a never ending battle against mother earth... That HS2 thing. Does it link south to north or just south to Birmingham? Yes I'm ignorant to it because of the negatively attached to it in the news.. I just filter it out :)
Unless we want to regress by losing a lot of our existing key infrastructures we should be prioritising our available public funds in flood defence measures and use what’s left to make the massively expensive upgrades like HS2 and the Irish Sea Bridge 😳